Championship rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Championship rugby

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:04 pm i'm more worried that Ealing seem to get 3 figured attendances
More than Wasps then 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:03 pm
wigworth wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:56 pm
teds wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:52 pm Well done Ealing. I hope some sensible solution sees them take their place in the Premiership next season.
I must admit my ignorance when it comes to watching Championship rugby but if they are admitted into the Prem how likely are they to be competitive?
I'd expect them to finish bottom, but be competitive in some games, they pushed Saracens harder than they expected last season.

Worth pointing out that with how the league is planned to be structured there's no relegation next season either so they would have a guaranteed 2 years in the league, which should make recruitment easier.

With players missing out on contracts due to ever shrinking cap space plus possible fire sales at clubs they could make some really useful signings, IF the RFU had confirmed they could go up already. As it is they'll likely have to wait for hearings etc, meaning they'll miss out on opportunities to sign players even if they are successful in their appeal. So the fact they've been rejected already is a double whammy for them.
I don’t think they can afford to delay the start of recruitment until their place is confirmed. I am guessing it’s already started. Once they get there, the guarantee of a two year stay gives them the opportunity to pull in some serious talent from those left out after World Cup squads are announced, next season. Their year 2 squad will be significantly stronger.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I get that their attendance doesn’t reach 4 figures but surely the draw of teams such as Tigers, Sarries , Quins etc. will increase those figures dramatically
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:00 am I get that their attendance doesn’t reach 4 figures but surely the draw of teams such as Tigers, Sarries , Quins etc. will increase those figures dramatically
I would be amazed if it got over 3K really.
Sarries struggle to get over 8K, and they have won how much?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

And yet Sarries nearly filled Tottenham Hotspurs' ground. Perhaps it's like they used to say at Ronnie Scott's when they had a less than perfect act; "The bouncers are outside, throwing them in"
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:14 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:00 am I get that their attendance doesn’t reach 4 figures but surely the draw of teams such as Tigers, Sarries , Quins etc. will increase those figures dramatically
I would be amazed if it got over 3K really.
Sarries struggle to get over 8K, and they have won how much?
It’s a fair point and look at how many Sale get some nights. They would also be competing against the other London teams for bodies
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Ealing are a better location than Sarries for rugby support, apart from the proximity to Quins. Still, it's a struggle to imagine where thousands of rugby fans will appear from who couldn't be bothered to go watch Quins but are really keen on a trip to Ealing.

A shed load of free tickets for schools and local clubs seems likely to me...
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

As well as schools I think there are two other populations who could build up a home supporter base.

Firstly, west London is traditionally home to a lot of young antipodeans there for a gap year or two. Those currently supporting Quins will move on, and be replaced by a new generation more open to persuasion. Especially when they have probably heard about Trailfinders the company before they even get here.

Secondly, Ealing is pretty much in the centre of the old Wasps supporting territory. Some of those folk would have been reluctant to support Quins, but a new club may well be palatable.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

People won't go from Quins to Ealing.
Even if they are gap students.

1. Quins are playing good open rugby and winning. Along with Smith who is the media darling.
2. Wasps haven't played in london in 20 years. If they haven't picked a club to follow by now then they never will most likely.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

All the young antipodeans in London these days live either south of the river around Clapham etc, or to the east around Hackney.

If there's space in Greater London for another pro club, it's somewhere East London or into Essex.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Not sure about this, People may be willing to try something new. All depends on whether they can deliver. London Welsh had an open goal in Oxford but the product was poor.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:00 pm Not sure about this, People may be willing to try something new. All depends on whether they can deliver. London Welsh had an open goal in Oxford but the product was poor.
In 2012 they had Wasps a few miles south in High Wycombe, Northampton just over to the east and Gloucester, Bath and Worcester to the west. Ok, Wasps moved away the next time LW made it up, but that's still a lot of strong clubs within a reasonable drive for a day out.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:50 pm People won't go from Quins to Ealing.
Even if they are gap students.

1. Quins are playing good open rugby and winning. Along with Smith who is the media darling.
2. Wasps haven't played in london in 20 years. If they haven't picked a club to follow by now then they never will most likely.
Yes it will be difficult to steal existing Quins supporters when they are playing flashy rugby with boy-wonder at ten, but that’s not what I suggested.

I’ll restate

1. The 2023 generation of anti-podeans who are not Quins supporters (at least not yet).
2. The die-hard Wasps fans, who could never bring themselves to support Quins. They probably followed Wasps to High Wycombe and tried Coventry, but it really was not a great day out. Since lockdown, they have felt lost.

You may be right about how they will struggle, and it certainly won’t be easy, to build their own supporter base.

I could easily see them averaging around 3K in 22-23 and then assuming they build more seating, 4K in 23-24, and 5K in 24-25. You could probably do that on away supporters only. Their actual plan may be much more ambitious.

Assuming they get promoted, how big do you see their average gate RB?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally I think 3K would be the max they could expect for the next 5 years unless they become successful
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I always forget London Irish aren't in Reading any more, they are currently playing home games 3 miles from Ealing. Bonkers to have so many Premiership clubs so close to each other.