Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Championship rugby

Post by LE18 »

RichieB wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:07 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:48 pm Well Tigers/Ex Tigers nottingham have
1. Sio
2. Farnworth
3. Betts
8. Coghlan
10. Riddington
11. Browning
12. Thacker
13. Williams
Starting
Plus Dolly at scrum half! :smt005
:smt017
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

No surprises...

Ampthill 14 Jersey Reds 29
Coventry 19 Cornish Pirates 30
Ealing Trailfinders 69 Richmond 7
Nottingham 0 Saracens 56

Ealing P8 - 35 points
Saracens P7 - 30
Doncaster P 7 - 26
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

LE18 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:39 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:48 pm Well Tigers/Ex Tigers nottingham have
1. Sio
2. Farnworth
3. Betts
8. Coghlan
10. Riddington
11. Browning
12. Thacker
13. Williams
Starting
I was being mischievous- Tigers recently recruited Nic Dolly (hooker). Clearly a different Dolly. Golly!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

RichieB wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:22 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:39 pm

I was being mischievous- Tigers recently recruited Nic Dolly (hooker). Clearly a different Dolly. Golly!
From the result our players were obviously well out of their depth. Do we want them back?
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

Nic Dolly of Tigers is the brother of Alex Dolly, the Notts scrum half.

Out of those named, actually only Browning (on loan/DR) and Coghlan (loan) are actually current Tigers players. The rest are Nottingham’s own so actually the question about ‘whether you want them back’ doesn’t really apply. David Williams hasn’t had a game in a very long time and I’m not surprised he’s maybe a bit rusty. Browning has just been named player of the month at Nottingham.

Despite the score line, Nottingham battled bravely. It was only 0-7 until a good half an hour gone. It could have been much much worse.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Results Sat May 1:

Ampthill 14 Jersey Reds 29
Coventry 19 Cornish Pirates 30
Ealing Trailfinders 69 Richmond 7
Nottingham 0 Saracens 56

Still to come , Sun May 2:

Doncaster Vs Bedford Blues (13:00)
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TheChild wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:47 am Nic Dolly of Tigers is the brother of Alex Dolly, the Notts scrum half.

Out of those named, actually only Browning (on loan/DR) and Coghlan (loan) are actually current Tigers players. The rest are Nottingham’s own so actually the question about ‘whether you want them back’ doesn’t really apply. David Williams hasn’t had a game in a very long time and I’m not surprised he’s maybe a bit rusty. Browning has just been named player of the month at Nottingham.

Despite the score line, Nottingham battled bravely. It was only 0-7 until a good half an hour gone. It could have been much much worse.
Of the two on loan essentially I can't see more than one of Lewis or Coghlan being retained given our depth in the back row, they've been sent out on loan in my opinion as a last ditch chance to change Borthwick's mind about them. At the moment I'd say Lewis is comfortably ahead in terms of performances from what I've seen (not seen all their performances by any strech)

Browning is in a completely different situation. He's a young player sent out on loan to develop his game with I would suspect every likelihood he will return. The fact he's getting awards like player of the month is a great testament to the fact he's working well. Even the fact that he's outperforming Williams in his position on the wing (a guy who was starting wing for Tigers last season) is looking promising.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:49 am
TheChild wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:47 am Nic Dolly of Tigers is the brother of Alex Dolly, the Notts scrum half.

Of the two on loan essentially I can't see more than one of Lewis or Coghlan being retained given our depth in the back row, they've been sent out on loan in my opinion as a last ditch chance to change Borthwick's mind about them. At the moment I'd say Lewis is comfortably ahead in terms of performances from what I've seen (not seen all their performances by any strech)

Browning is in a completely different situation. He's a young player sent out on loan to develop his game with I would suspect every likelihood he will return. The fact he's getting awards like player of the month is a great testament to the fact he's working well. Even the fact that he's outperforming Williams in his position on the wing (a guy who was starting wing for Tigers last season) is looking promising.
Agree with all of this. I recently heard that both Lewis and Coghlan will not be returning. Lewis asked to go on loan to get game time to secure another contract. Given Lewis's performance at Coventry I would not be surprised if he either stays with Cov or is in the process of negotiating a contract either with another Championship club or hopefully another Prem club. It would be a crying shame if he didn't get to keep on playing. I really rate him as you can probably tell from my posts! I'm sure he would have developed further if Borthwick had given him the chance to stay with the team this season. (Don't start with the size issue please it drives me mad!) Coghlan came to us on loan from Nottingham if I remember correctly so was always going to go back to Nottingham. Williams again came to us on loan from Nottingham.

Browning is a future star in the making and if Borthwick doesn't see that then I'm not sure what he wants.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:31 am

Agree with all of this. I recently heard that both Lewis and Coghlan will not be returning. Lewis asked to go on loan to get game time to secure another contract. Given Lewis's performance at Coventry I would not be surprised if he either stays with Cov or is in the process of negotiating a contract either with another Championship club or hopefully another Prem club. It would be a crying shame if he didn't get to keep on playing. I really rate him as you can probably tell from my posts! I'm sure he would have developed further if Borthwick had given him the chance to stay with the team this season. (Don't start with the size issue please it drives me mad!) Coghlan came to us on loan from Nottingham if I remember correctly so was always going to go back to Nottingham. Williams again came to us on loan from Nottingham.

Browning is a future star in the making and if Borthwick doesn't see that then I'm not sure what he wants.
Coghlan was signed on a permanent deal from Notts a couple of years back and I'd guess will be coming to the end of that deal this summer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

I’d be surprised if we see either Lewis or Coughlan in a Tigers shirt again. Browning is a work in progress for the future but I wouldn’t compare him with the likes of Williams yet, who I really rated. I think yesterday was his first game for months. I’d like to see him have another run out for us, with the style of game we’re developing. When he was in the team before, all we did was kick the leather off the ball, which hardly played to his strengths. One thing we’re missing is a wing with pace to burn.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I’ve watched a few of Nottingham’s games and Coughlan has been the standout player for me. He makes metres and has looked decent. Browning deserved player of the month but had a tough day yesterday, admittedly against a Stella backline.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Result , May 2 , 2021 :

Doncaster 27 Bedford Blues 19

Link to current Championship Table :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... ship/table
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The Championship Playoff Final , to be decided over two legs , has already assigned its Television rights.Bidding no doubt influenced by what is largely assumed to be the prospect of a two game finale between Ealing and Saracens the first leg on June 12 has been purchased by Premier Sports whereas the second leg (a week later) is to screened by BT Sport.
Apparently the recent live stream Of Sarries Vs Ealing was viewed by approx 5000 people.

This taken from 'The Rugby Paper' 2/5/2021.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:06 am I’ve watched a few of Nottingham’s games and Coughlan has been the standout player for me. He makes metres and has looked decent. Browning deserved player of the month but had a tough day yesterday, admittedly against a Stella backline.
Coghlan has never really played badly for us admittedly. But competition for the back row (with Thom Smith in the mix too) it made sense for him to go back to Nottingham on loan.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:48 am
westwinds31 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:06 am I’ve watched a few of Nottingham’s games and Coughlan has been the standout player for me. He makes metres and has looked decent. Browning deserved player of the month but had a tough day yesterday, admittedly against a Stella backline.
Coghlan has never really played badly for us admittedly. But competition for the back row (with Thom Smith in the mix too) it made sense for him to go back to Nottingham on loan.
I feel for him a bit. He’s clearly talented and his pace off the base of the scrum is impressive. I guess comparing him to Wiese, Brink and Liebenburg he’s not going to break into the back row. It’s one of those where if he went elsewhere it might be the making of him, like a Will Evans etc