Championship rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Championship rugby

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Moose wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:36 pm Interesting point in the Guardian article about the funding the top 3 french divisions are receiving in a TV deal. Maybe broadcasters such as BT could/should bin off covering German and Australian football, and put the funding more into things like Championship and Women's Prem rugby?
It wouldn't surprise me if Premiership rugby had lower TV viewing figures than European football.

BT would pay to televise championship games of there was any sort of significant money in it. Its up the the PRL and RFU to have mandatory championship games in the TV deals, not BT Sport to cover them out of charity.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

Did anyone watch the Nottingham game earlier? If so how did Browning get on, i’m really excited to see how he gets on.
thunderbirds

Post by thunderbirds »

Yes I watched it. Browning looked as good as he could be in a completely one sided match.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Whilst I have always kept an eye on Nottingham as a club, I have “followed” Ealing for the last 5 years or so - in the early days it was simply because I knew someone quite high up in the Club. Since they have become more successful on the back of major investment, my interest has grown proportionately.

I like what Ealing are doing with the club - their academy, women’s teams and work in the community. I’m really hoping it is Ealing who eventually get promoted rather than Saracens.

First round couldn’t have gone better really. Sarries lose Ealing get the W, TBP and a healthy points differential haul.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ealing played like 5 games prior to this one with a squad that has been together since like September.
Nottingham came together around a week ago.

Was pretty much the worst match up you could ask for a first game
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Moose wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:36 pm Interesting point in the Guardian article about the funding the top 3 french divisions are receiving in a TV deal. Maybe broadcasters such as BT could/should bin off covering German and Australian football, and put the funding more into things like Championship and Women's Prem rugby?
Broadcasters could cover it but why would they if the viewing figures are too small to sell advertising?
Presumably covering German and Australian football costs very little (no need to send cameras) as they are being covered by domestic TV channels who are happy to sell the coverage for not much as it is a bonus over the their own national market.

For BT or any other broadcaster to cover lower divisions would be a significant expense for minimal revenue. Bundling coverage with the Premiership package may well reduce what the broadcasters are willing to pay.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

mol2 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:52 pm
Broadcasters could cover it but why would they if the viewing figures are too small to sell advertising?
Presumably covering German and Australian football costs very little (no need to send cameras) as they are being covered by domestic TV channels who are happy to sell the coverage for not much as it is a bonus over the their own national market.

For BT or any other broadcaster to cover lower divisions would be a significant expense for minimal revenue. Bundling coverage with the Premiership package may well reduce what the broadcasters are willing to pay.
All good points along with the others raised. I appreciate that it's a business, and as such they'll do whatever is most financially viable, it just surprises me (perhaps my own naivety) that there are more people in this country that would watch Sydney FC or Werder Bremen than their local club.

It's either a lesson on how much of a niche sport rugby is, or notice that the RFU need to do something to make it a more palatable opportunity for broadcasters.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=RichieB post_id=770698 time=1615130245 user_id=20960]
Whilst I have always kept an eye on Nottingham as a club, I have “followed” Ealing for the last 5 years or so - in the early days it was simply because I knew someone quite high up in the Club. Since they have become more successful on the back of major investment, my interest has grown proportionately.

I like what Ealing are doing with the club - their academy, women’s teams and work in the community. I’m really hoping it is Ealing who eventually get promoted rather than Saracens.

First round couldn’t have gone better really. Sarries lose Ealing get the W, TBP and a healthy points differential haul.
[/quote]

The Sarries v Ealing match-ups are going to be key - a bit like the Bris v Exeter games a few years back.
Having said that, especially as several teams have loaded up with premiership loanees, there could be one or two surprise results on the way. Should be good to watch.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Wonder how Sarries got down to Penzance, with all their money, bet they flew? No coach for them?, How many Championship clubs could afford that luxury, excepting Jersey by necessity, due to their location?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:46 pm Ealing played like 5 games prior to this one with a squad that has been together since like September.
Nottingham came together around a week ago.

Was pretty much the worst match up you could ask for a first game
Absolutely. Nottingham had a good handful of loan players starting, who probably didn’t know each other’s names, let alone any moves. Part-time vs Full time and there was only one winner. Nottingham will be looking to be more competitive when they face Ampthill after the bye weekend.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

MurphysLaw wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:35 pm
RichieB wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:17 pm Whilst I have always kept an eye on Nottingham as a club, I have “followed” Ealing for the last 5 years or so - in the early days it was simply because I knew someone quite high up in the Club. Since they have become more successful on the back of major investment, my interest has grown proportionately.

The Sarries v Ealing match-ups are going to be key - a bit like the Bris v Exeter games a few years back.
Having said that, especially as several teams have loaded up with premiership loanees, there could be one or two surprise results on the way. Should be good to watch.
Sadly though I’m sure I read that the top 2 play off home and away to see who’s promoted. Love to think they could finish third.
The play off format will really favour Sarries.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Dokie wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:19 pm
MurphysLaw wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:35 pm
RichieB wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:17 pm Whilst I have always kept an eye on Nottingham as a club, I have “followed” Ealing for the last 5 years or so - in the early days it was simply because I knew someone quite high up in the Club. Since they have become more successful on the back of major investment, my interest has grown proportionately.

Sadly though I’m sure I read that the top 2 play off home and away to see who’s promoted. Love to think they could finish third.
The play off format will really favour Sarries.
Just need pirates & Ealing to get 5 points in all their other games, play out a 5-2 win to Ealing when they meet each other and then Sarries only need to drop a single point (or have Ealing get a LBP or TBP against them) and it would be out of their hands finishing top 2.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Why have they brought the playoff back in? Thought it was scrapped?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:32 pm Why have they brought the playoff back in? Thought it was scrapped?!
To compensate for the season being so short.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

JP14 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:41 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:32 pm Why have they brought the playoff back in? Thought it was scrapped?!
To compensate for the season being so short.
To give Saracens a chance to recover from a covid outbreak or a surprise loss
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.