Championship rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Championship rugby

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Raimond wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:54 am It's not been confirmed yet if Donny or Ealing can go up, but has been confirmed that Cornish Pirates can't
I thought they had only confirmed they couldn't get promoted on the old requirements, I'm sure I saw somewhere that the ground requirements were being relaxed? Plus there's always the chance, given their new stadium is due to start work this year I think, that they may relocate for a season or so till their new ground is ready as Prem money would be helpful in funding that stadium...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I struggle with Ealing going up to be honest. Ok, they've got money but for a club that's getting ready to transition into the top league, they're barely getting attendances above 1,000. Their stadium may well be fit for purpose, but I'm not sure how they're going to fill it. Or maybe the powers that be aren't bothered about that.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:25 am I struggle with Ealing going up to be honest. Ok, they've got money but for a club that's getting ready to transition into the top league, they're barely getting attendances above 1,000. Their stadium may well be fit for purpose, but I'm not sure how they're going to fill it. Or maybe the powers that be aren't bothered about that.
They'll be another London based club for BT to faun over :smt044 so attendances will be airbrushed from the conversation.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Ealing and Doncaster cannot be promoted as they fail to meet the criteria.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Wouldn’t have thought that premier rugby are bothered about the size of the crowds as long as they have a viable business plan. After all Sale and Newcastle only average about 5-6k.
A2O
ashleytiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ashleytiger »

Crofty wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:22 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:10 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:07 pm
Or East?

'Antwerp Wasps' has a nice ring to it
I was thinking Scotland could do with another pro team... Orkney Wasps?
How about Nelson Wasps, the first professional rugby club based on an offshore oil platform.
Wow, I worked on Nelson during the start up and first 2 years of production, when it was Enterprise Oil!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Bit strange Ealing and Doncaster must have known the minimum ground capacity when they applied :smt017
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Cornish Pirates it is then!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:07 pm Cornish Pirates it is then!
Nope, they already know they can't go up.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Even their new stadium will only be 6k capacity.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I don't think they even applied. The article states that only 2 clubs applied to try and say their grounds were sufficient

It then talks about later in the article that only one team will be promoted from National one, inferring that no teams will go up.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No Championship club is coming up? Supposed to be a 14 team league next season isn't it? 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Tigers season ticket renewal info stated 13 home premiership games so obviously expected a promoted team.
A2O
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

That article made it easier to understand. Grounds need to be of a certain capacity to fall within the enforceable ambit or certain safety regulations and so lack of capacity means safety regs cannot be legally enforced which means no promotion.

I just cannot understand how teams vying for promotion, especially one spending like Ealing, did not have a plan B in place with a groundshare. As the article says, it is not as if these rules are new.

Guess it stays as a 13 team premiersip until clubs up the ground capacities. Ironically, no need to ring fence this year as nobody had the foresight to put in place the necessary infratructure to be promoted.