Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Progress Under Borthwick

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=FrontRowUnionMember post_id=768669 time=1614158728 user_id=5989]
One thing is becoming very clear, Borthwick is being very decisive and proactive on the squad. Those not in his plans are being cut loose quite ruthlessly. He is actively shaping the squad, not waiting it out. That is promising, and given the number of departures, announced and impending, I expect some incomings shortly.
[/quote]

This is true, but maybe it's at least partly down the the club's finances, and next season's cut in salary cap.

The 'tanker is turning', yes, but these things take time. In fact, I think they started some time ago and the improvement in performances compared to the last couple of seasons has its seeds in several key changes and appointments, including SB himself. Re-organising the Academy, and how young players transition to the senior squad; appointing Jan McGinity ( 28 contract renewals, 24 new signings in 18 months) began the 're-shaping of the squad' and has given far more strength in depth; appointing Aled Walters - everyone can see the improvement in fitness.
SB has instilled commitment, belief and a team spirit, and a game plan (albeit limited). He is continuing with the squad 're-shaping', and as others have said, he is getting the players he wants.

I hope that once the finances are more stable, SB will be given the support to get an experienced full coaching team around him. That's not to detract from the efforts of Smithy and Tom Harrison for stepping up as temps. The academy also needs a full coaching set up to continue it's revived role successfully.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:41 am The tabulation didn’t work but hope you get the drift.....
Works a treat Scuttle! except wish we've scored 79 tries this season so far!! :smt023
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

DingDong wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:07 pm
Scuttle wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:41 am The tabulation didn’t work but hope you get the drift.....
Works a treat Scuttle! except wish we've scored 79 tries this season so far!! :smt023
:smt038
As Good As It Gets
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

So we are just over half way through the season and it seems a reasonable time to have a view on this matter based on performances and results on the pitch.

We are just below mid-table and it seems pretty tight there, so a couple of results in the right direction and we could be around that 4th place. This in itself would have seemed implausible pre Borthwick.

Looking back at the PB (pre Borthwick) era, we were arguably the worst team in the division, or at least close to worst. Only barely saved from relegation by the Saracens situation and that last gasp Guy Thompson turn over v Newcastle. Looking back we were incredibly fortunate that we weren’t relegated at all.

Under Borthwick, in my opinion, there have been noticeable improvements both in performance and these can now be evidenced by the results. There has been some excellent recruitment (for example Wiese, Moroni, Montoya) although I don’t know to what extent McGinity or Murphy was involved in any of those, given Jan saying once that often these deals take several months of work to crystallise. Furthermore, and critically, there are several academy players emerging into the first team and becoming key players (for example Steward, Heyes, Martin, JVP), although again probably not entirely Borthwick’s doing but to his credit he is giving them chance to flourish.

At the other end of the spectrum, Borthwick has also clearly not been afraid of moving people on who do not fit into the plan. By contrast, Murphy could have been criticised as being too affable and overly loyal to mediocre performers.

Whilst there are clearly many areas that require improvement and remain frustrating (for example poor discipline, leaving too many bonus points on the pitch, a bit lacking in attacking flair) in my opinion the evidence is clearly in Borthwick’s favour. It even seems that the highly irritating pointless kicking game finally improved marginally in the last couple of games.

So, well done to him, his team of coaches, medical staff and players. Let us hope we can keep this trajectory going for the rest of the season so we can truly be back winning trophies before too long. :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Pretty good summary of where we are. Realistically I think we can aim for top six and qualification for the Heineken Cup which is a big improvement on the last two seasons. Moreover, can see a number of academy graduates progressing to the first team squad
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Ha arguably the worst team in the league pre-Borthwick. I wouldn’t say it’s arguable, we definitely were the worst team, especially given the team we could put out on paper. Just devoid of any real coaching whatsoever.

Now we’re sitting mid table which probably reflects where we are at the moment. I think we have the foundations of a very exceptional squad, just lacking some consistency at the moment. I think when it clicks we should be top 4.

Now before people say I’m a happy clapper or wildly optimistic, we’ve got a solid core of internationals, backed up by some astute South African signings plus plenty of extremely talented youngsters coming into the senior squad. It’s been a long time since we’ve been able to say that. Long term we’re in a better position now than we’ve been for easily five years, possibly since the early 2010s.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Whilst the coaching set up wasn't great it was far from the only reason we were in the position we were in.
There were signs pre Covid that things were getting better & I think our league position last season was slightly false.
It remains to be seen if all the "problem" players have left or will be leaving this Summer.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:09 pm Whilst the coaching set up wasn't great it was far from the only reason we were in the position we were in.
There were signs pre Covid that things were getting better & I think our league position last season was slightly false.
It remains to be seen if all the "problem" players have left or will be leaving this Summer.
Borthwick has said publicly that it may take 2 years to get the squad as he wants, though fingers crossed we get most of the key problem players gone before then.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I just have a feeling that we have just off loaded one half of the problems.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I think we are really starting to see big steps forward under Borthwick now. We have a fantastic squad with massive strength in depth. We have at least 2 or 3 really solid options in every position and a lot of the young lads are really stepping up and taking their chances. Steward, JvP, Matrin, Henderson, Kelly and Heyes have all been in fine form and giving the more experienced Internationals a good fight for the starting shirt.

Next season we are potentially looking at:

1. Genge, Van Wyk, Whitcombe
2. Montoya, Youngs, Clare, Dolly
3. Cole, Leatigaga, Heyes
4. Snyman, Henderson,
5. Wells, Green, Martin
6. Liebenberg, Martin
7. Van Staden, Reffell, Wallace
8. Wiese, Brink, Chessum
9. Youngs, JvP, Wigglesworth, White
10. Ford, Burns, JMcP, Henry
11. Nadolo, Murimurivalu, Simmons
12. Scott, Kelly, Porter
13. Moroni, Taute
14. Potter, Van Wyk
15. Steward, Murimurivalu, Burns

Interestingly Moroni seems to be an ever present having started the 10 out of the last 11 games. He is in absolutely great form and is definitely a nailed on starter at 13.

First XV

1. Genge
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Snyman
5. Wells
6. Liebenberg
7. Van Staden
8. Wiese
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Kelly
13. Moroni
14. Potter
15. Steward

Second XV

1. Van Wyk
2. Youngs
3. Heyes
4. Henderson
5. Green
6. Martin
7. Reffell
8. Brink
9. JvP
10. Burns
11. Van Wyk
12. Scott
13. Taute
14. Porter
15. Murimurivalu

Potential 6N side:

1. Van Wyk
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Snyman
5. Wells
6. Liebenberg
7. Van Staden
8. Wiese
9. JvP
10. Burns
11. Nadolo
12. Kelly
13. Moroni
14. Potter
15. Murimurivalu

I'm not suggesting wholesale rotation but we have 2 really good sides there so during International windows we should be much better prepared.

Half back pairings of JvP/Wigglesworth and Burns/JMcP during the 6N fill me with so much more confidence than back up options in seasons gone by.

The stats are starting to look much better now too..

We have now won 9 out of 11 matches at home this season losing only to Exeter and Sale.

We have scored 25 tries in our last 6 matches (Newcastle x2, Connacht, Exeter, Glos, Irish)

Our last 14 matches has resulted in 10 wins and 4 losses (Exeter, Sale, Bristol, Quins) and those losses have come against the top 4 teams in the premiership.

Discipline has been an issue and we have tended to rack up a fair few cards but today we only conceded 6 penalties and had nobody sent to the bin. Need to keep this up.

Our fitness is absolutely fantastic and Walters is doing great work with the lads.

Our scrum, lineout and rolling maul have all improved massively as you would hope under Borthwick and are all great platforms to build upon.

Our defense has been outstanding recently. Yes we have conceded a few points but we are showing some real progress in this area.

We are through to the Semi Final of the Challenge Cup which is very winnable with the squad we have and we are sat in 7th in the league only 3 points off top 6 and 8 points off top 4. I don't think we are top 4 material just yet but top 6 for sure.

All in all I am starting to feel very positive about our prospects for next season. Onwards and Upwards and keep it up lads :smt023
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:10 pm

1. Genge, Van Wyk, Bower
2. Montoya, Youngs, Clare, Marfo
4. Snyman, Henderson,
5. Wells, Green, Martin
6. Liebenberg, Martin
8. Wiese, Brink, Chessum
12. Scott, Kelly, Porter
13. Moroni, Taute
14. Potter, Van Wyk

Interestingly Moroni seems to be an ever present having started the last 11 games in a row. He is in absolutely great form and is definitely a nailed on starter at 13.
Think you meant Dolly, not Marfo at hooker, also I'd have Whitcombe ahead of Bower at Loosehead.

Also I may be wrong but didn't Kelly partner Scott in the midfield vs Exeter, don't think Moroni played that one
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:38 pm

1. Genge, Van Wyk, Bower
4. Snyman, Henderson,
5. Wells, Green, Martin
6. Liebenberg, Martin
8. Wiese, Brink, Chessum
12. Scott, Kelly, Porter
13. Moroni, Taute
14. Potter, Van Wyk

Interestingly Moroni seems to be an ever present having started the last 11 games in a row. He is in absolutely great form and is definitely a nailed on starter at 13.
Think you meant Dolly, not Marfo at hooker, also I'd have Whitcombe ahead of Bower at Loosehead.

Also I may be wrong but didn't Kelly partner Scott in the midfield vs Exeter, don't think Moroni played that one
You are right my mistake.. way to rain on my parade TFS :smt019 just joking.. agree about Whitcombe and Dolly so will tweak it good spot :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:47 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:38 pm

1. Genge, Van Wyk, Bower
4. Snyman, Henderson,
5. Wells, Green, Martin
6. Liebenberg, Martin
8. Wiese, Brink, Chessum
12. Scott, Kelly, Porter
13. Moroni, Taute
14. Potter, Van Wyk

You are right my mistake.. way to rain on my parade TFS :smt019 just joking.. agree about Whitcombe and Dolly so will tweak it good spot :smt023
No worries 🤣
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

That potential 6N team next season is absolute filth! Disgustingly good!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

All valid comments above on progress, some tough nuts mixed in with some younger players with potential. Whilst I’m obviously chuffed to bits that we’re winning and competing in every game, I’m under no illusions that we have a long way to go to challenge Top 4. Easy to lose sight of that after a few wins. The next 2 games will be interesting.