Progress Under Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Progress Under Borthwick

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:06 pm Who did we play when Dolly and Whitcombe came on and we took their scrum apart, Connacht?
Yeh.
Hurd, Dolly and Whitcombe was the front row in that big final scrum.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:19 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:06 pm Who did we play when Dolly and Whitcombe came on and we took their scrum apart, Connacht?
Yeh.
Hurd, Dolly and Whitcombe was the front row in that big final scrum.
Thanks!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

My one big wish was that we employed a coach who could attract other quality coaches - done (almost - still need an attack coach) - take the dressing room with him - done - not afraid to axe players not up to it - done (but still more to do) - attract players who he wants to fit in with his game plan - jury still out for me (will see who is coming in for TL). He has done a brilliant job so far and would go up further in my eyes if he can get De Bruin to stay but can't see that happening, or persuade Kruis to join. I also like the fact that he is prepared to really change tack when things are not right.

After recent performances, I feel JVP, McP, Hayes and Clare have all moved up the pecking order - WW, Van Wyk and Henry have moved down - don't want them to go but there are better options for us when everyone is fit.

I am very impressed and looking forward to the next few weeks
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

de Bruin has long been confirmed as leaving.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/de ... ure-210309
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

JP14 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:11 pm de Bruin has long been confirmed as leaving.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/de ... ure-210309
Was aware he was going to Ed but can but hope
Hehehehehehehehe
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

In a short space of time we have gone from mediocre relegation prospects with a large hastily purchase squad. to a leaner hungry gnarly outfit. A team which is at least competing in every game and if we are losing its by fine margins.

To a team that has reached a Final in a European competition, who we know will compete and not just be there for a good day out.
I agree we are not the finished article. SB has said as much. But the Journey is well underway and I would not be surprised if we
added a trophy to our cabinet in May.
I'd have taken that in Aug 2019 and Aug 2020
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

wellstiger wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:21 pm To a team that has reached a Final in a European competition, who we know will compete and not just be there for a good day out.
I agree we are not the finished article. SB has said as much. But the Journey is well underway and I would not be surprised if we
added a trophy to our cabinet in May.
I'd have taken that in Aug 2019 and Aug 2020
Way, way, WAY ahead of myself but I doubly hope we do come up with the goods to win it on the 21st because I also hope this is our last chance to win this particular competition. Beginning of the season I'd have said top 6 next season was a bit of a stretch but maybe not...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Crofty, I believe top 8 qualification confirmed. So, after winning the cup, we can concentrate on establishing familiarity among players, establishing flexible partnerships and making sure all players are comfortable slotting in. Really forging team bonds!
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I don't think Borthwick will let standards drop even if we have nothing to play for.

As he's said many times we have become used to losing and we need to get used to winning.

The off season is the chance to rest and take stock.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Old Hob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:38 pm Crofty, I believe top 8 qualification confirmed. So, after winning the cup, we can concentrate on establishing familiarity among players, establishing flexible partnerships and making sure all players are comfortable slotting in. Really forging team bonds!
If we win the Cup we qualify for the top tournament next year just through that. It's the qualification next year for 2023 that would, in that situation, become the one dependent upon league position and who knows what number get through, it seems to be different every year.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

End of week 19, 6th position confirmed and a European final. Lock the thread lol.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

ourla wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:18 pm I don't think Borthwick will let standards drop even if we have nothing to play for.

As he's said many times we have become used to losing and we need to get used to winning.

I don't think SB's standards have been met yet. Hanro's interview gives a bit of an insight to what SB delivers and the Tigers (they would agree) are still some way off where they need to be, going soft against Quins, giving away the games with Bath and Saints. SB turned down a Lions role for the sake of the Tigers, so after a bit of a rest I would expect the squad to equally dedicated and Oval Park to be busier than ever with a few new faces. It is looking good. The Cup Final + the home game against the Bears will be a good test to see where the club is at. I have a warm feeling about the way things are progressing and I haven't peed my pants either!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerCam wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:14 am
ourla wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:18 pm I don't think Borthwick will let standards drop even if we have nothing to play for.

I don't think SB's standards have been met yet. Hanro's interview gives a bit of an insight to what SB delivers and the Tigers (they would agree) are still some way off where they need to be, going soft against Quins, giving away the games with Bath and Saints. SB turned down a Lions role for the sake of the Tigers, so after a bit of a rest I would expect the squad to equally dedicated and Oval Park to be busier than ever with a few new faces. It is looking good. The Cup Final + the home game against the Bears will be a good test to see where the club is at. I have a warm feeling about the way things are progressing and I haven't peed my pants either!!
Speaking of which a very good interview.
For me really is a natural captain.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:46 am
TigerCam wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:14 am

Speaking of which a very good interview.
For me really is a natural captain.
Agreed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It is clear to all who care to look that he is doing a great job and that progress is being made. Those who complained about his use of young player at the end of last season have had to eat their words and yes, it is a journey.

We may or may not win on Friday but the fact that we are in the final is a great achievement in itself. Our league position gets stronger and we are beginning to win games which a few months ago would have been considered unlikely. WR is again becoming a venue other teams fear and with the return of spectators this will only get better.

Next season a top 4 finish is for the first time in many years looking achievable. SB's appointment is the best decision the Board have made in a long time. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!