Tigers vs Worcester - Sat 06 Feb 1500

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Tigers vs Worcester - Sat 06 Feb 1500

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Usually I wouldn't start thinking about next weekends fixture until the dust had settled from this one and would wait until I'm sat, trying to work from home on a Monday morning but failing miserably and instead finding myself trawling through the various Tigers forum posts!

That being said I can't think about last night's match anymore so instead want to focus on something else, so please humor me!

The Worcester game is very winnable, we've said that before but I really am expecting a reaction. From the players and SB. I expect to see a few names coming back in like Porter, Potter maybe Bonilla and hope that we can turn things around in training this week. We seemed to get on better off the back of very little training.. given 2 weeks of training we resort to death by badly executed box kicks! Team wise, personally I would go for:

1. De Bruin
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Green
6. Liebenberg
7. Wallace
8. Wiese
9. JvP
10. Bonilla
11. Nadolo
12. Porter
13. Moroni
14. Potter or Murimurivalu
15. Steward

16. Youngs
17. Leatigaga
18. Heyes
19. Martin
20. Brink
21. White
22. Henry
23. Taute

Personally I would like to see Montoya starting so I’ve changed it to reflect that. Take the game to Worcester and come out of the blocks flying. I can't see it and am sure Youngs will get the nod to start but I think it could be a smart move. That said, Montoya is great impact off the bench.

I would like to see Luke Wallace come in for Reffell for this next one. Reffell is a huge talent and a great prospect but he was largely a spectator for the 45 minutes he played and was at fault for a daft penalty. Wallace has been really solid for us and gives us an extra true 7 option.

In the backs I would completely switch up the half backs. Neither performed well at all and arguably cost us the game last night. JvP is a great player to bring on after 60 minutes with the opposition tiring but I would give the young lad a start - he certainly deserves it. Bonilla - well I guess it comes down to the reason behind why he didn't feature last night and whether he is available. If it's down to the number of overseas players I would start him and Moroni and leave Lavanini out for this one.

I would like to see Potter or Murimurivalu come in and Porter alongside Moroni. Scott has been ok, nothing special so I'd like to see how Porter and Moroni get on together as I think they could be a good centre partnership option.

Ok, will leave it at that for now, still early days but I just can't think about last night's game anymore and would sooner focus on next week.. stay positive and you never know, if results go our way this weekend we may finish round 7 in 7th place.. a significant improvement on the last few years!
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Worcester - Sat 06 Feb 1500

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

One of the issues whilst YBY & Ford are away is lack of alternative captain after OTY (I have never been a huge fan of his on field captaincy), there really isn't anyone obvious apart from maybe Hanro.

For next week, I would drop completely both half backs, 2nd row combination didn't work so that needs changing, back row no change that's a balanced 3. Outside backs not much change required apart from giving them the ball...would like to see Taute at 12, why we haven't seen him there is a mystery, maybe a change at 14? but VanWyk hasn't actually done much wrong, a proper 5/3 bench split would help for options.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I'd go with this team

Steward
Van Wyk
Moroni
Scott
Nadolo
Bonilla
JVP
Gienga/De Bruin
Montoya
Cole
Lavannini
Martin
Liebenberg
Reffell
Wiese

Youngs
De Bruin/Leatigaga
Heyes
Wells
Brink
Wigglesworth
Henry
Murimurivalu

As much as I love Tom, Montoya was the best player on the pitch when he came on gives another big ball carrying dimension (with Genge away we need that extra place for defenses to watch for the crash ball)

Leatigaga has just started to be a magnet for cards recently and a lot of them for high tackles so if Gienga is fully fit I'd bring him in.

I really want us to give Martin a start and I'd pair him with our best lock so Lavannini.

JVP deserves a start to see if he's really as good as it seems or if he's best against tiring defences.

Bonilla needs a proper go at 10 and see what he can do.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:21 am Usually I wouldn't start thinking about next weekends fixture until the dust had settled from this one and would wait until I'm sat, trying to work from home on a Monday morning but failing miserably and instead finding myself trawling through the various Tigers forum posts!

That being said I can't think about last night's match anymore so instead want to focus on something else, so please humor me!

The Worcester game is very winnable, we've said that before but I really am expecting a reaction. From the players and SB. I expect to see a few names coming back in like Porter, Potter maybe Bonilla and hope that we can turn things around in training this week. We seemed to get on better off the back of very little training.. given 2 weeks of training we resort to death by badly executed box kicks! Team wise, personally I would go for:

1. De Bruin
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Green
6. Liebenberg
7. Wallace
8. Wiese
9. JvP
10. Bonilla
11. Nadolo
12. Porter
13. Moroni
15. Steward

16. Montoya
17. Leatigaga
18. Heyes
19. Martin
20. Brink
21. White
22. Henry
23. Taute

Personally I would like to see Montoya starting. Take the game to Worcester and come out of the blocks flying. I can't see it and am sure Youngs will get the nod to start but I think it could be a smart move. That said, Montoya is great impact off the bench.

I would like to see Luke Wallace come in for Reffell for this next one. Reffell is a huge talent and a great prospect but he was largely a spectator for the 45 minutes he played and was at fault for a daft penalty. Wallace has been really solid for us and gives us an extra true 7 option.

In the backs I would completely switch up the half backs. Neither performed well at all and arguably cost us the game last night. JvP is a great player to bring on after 60 minutes with the opposition tiring but I would give the young lad a start - he certainly deserves it. Bonilla - well I guess it comes down to the reason behind why he didn't feature last night and whether he is available. If it's down to the number of overseas players I would start him and Moroni and leave Lavanini out for this one.

I would like to see Potter or Murimurivalu come in and Porter alongside Moroni. Scott has been ok, nothing special so I'd like to see how Porter and Moroni get on together as I think they could be a good centre partnership option.

Ok, will leave it at that for now, still early days but I just can't think about last night's game anymore and would sooner focus on next week.. stay positive and you never know, if results go our way this weekend we may finish round 7 in 7th place.. a significant improvement on the last few years!
I would certainly start with Montoya and Scott with Porter on the bench and a 5/3 split. Not even sure I want Henry on the bench after last night but think he will be in the 23 unless the transfer of Freddie Burns is done very quickly
Hehehehehehehehe
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Sam Harrison would be a useful bloke to have around right now.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:21 am Usually I wouldn't start thinking about next weekends fixture until the dust had settled from this one and would wait until I'm sat, trying to work from home on a Monday morning but failing miserably and instead finding myself trawling through the various Tigers forum posts!

1. De Bruin
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Green
6. Liebenberg
7. Wallace
8. Wiese
9. JvP
10. Bonilla
11. Nadolo
12. Porter
13. Moroni
15. Steward

16. Montoya
17. Leatigaga
18. Heyes
19. Martin
20. Brink
21. White
22. Henry
23. Taute

Personally I would like to see Montoya starting. Take the game to Worcester and come out of the blocks flying. I can't see it and am sure Youngs will get the nod to start but I think it could be a smart move. That said, Montoya is great impact off the bench.

I would certainly start with Montoya and Scott with Porter on the bench and a 5/3 split. Not even sure I want Henry on the bench after last night but think he will be in the 23 unless the transfer of Freddie Burns is done very quickly
I would definitely start with Montoya too as I mentioned but I sadly can’t see it happening. Fingers crossed he does start though!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Like to see both Porter and Potter in there, is the latter injured?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Regardless of who plays different tactics are required. Running into a brick wall and kicking (inaccurately) to the wing did not work.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:23 am Like to see both Porter and Potter in there, is the latter injured?
He was don't know if he still is or not.

People say Reffell was spectator but he had the 2nd most tackles in the team (behind De Bruin) with 9, in fact out of both set of packs only Ross and De Bruin had more (despite Reffell only playing 45 minutes).
I would like to see Wallace get some game time though.

Would go with if fit
1. De Bruin
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Henderson
5. Lavanini
6. Liebenberg (C)
7. Wallace
8. Wiese
9. Wigg
10. Bonilla
11. Nadolo
12. Porter
13. Taute
14. Moroni
15. Steward

16. Youngs, 17. Gigena, 18. Heyes
19. Martin, 20. Brink
21. JVP, 22. Henry, 23. Murimurivalu

It's interesting I thought the Porter and Taute combo looked really good v Gloucester not seen it since.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:01 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:23 am Like to see both Porter and Potter in there, is the latter injured?

People say Reffell was spectator but he had the 2nd most tackles in the team (behind De Bruin) with 9, in fact out of both set of packs only Ross and De Bruin had more (despite Reffell only playing 45 minutes).

Would go with if fit
1. De Bruin
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Henderson
5. Lavanini
6. Liebenberg (C)
7. Wallace
8. Wiese
9. Wigg
10. Bonilla
11. Nadolo
12. Porter
13. Taute
14. Moroni
15. Steward

19. Martin, 20. Brink

It's interesting I thought the Porter and Taute combo looked really good v Gloucester not seen it since.
Impressive tackle stats from de Bruin too as he played around the same amount of time as Reffell too if I’m correct.

Like the look of that squad RB, be good to see Henderson back in the mix.

11-15 and 22/23 are really interesting. Like the mix you’ve got, would love for Potter to be involved somehow but not sure who I’d leave out for him. Tough on Scott too who has looked like the sort of 12 we have been missing since Allen IMO. Also van Wyk who hasn’t done a lot wrong given our play tactics.
Might even be tempted for no Henry and give JMcP another bench shot - didn’t have much time yesterday to show himself.

For once in a while we have a (largely) strong depth in the backs - and it’s criminal we aren’t playing to their strengths.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:15 pm

Would go with if fit
1. De Bruin
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Henderson
5. Lavanini
6. Liebenberg (C)
7. Wallace
8. Wiese
9. Wigg
10. Bonilla
11. Nadolo
12. Porter
13. Taute
14. Moroni
15. Steward

19. Martin, 20. Brink

Impressive tackle stats from de Bruin too as he played around the same amount of time as Reffell too if I’m correct.

11-15 and 22/23 are really interesting. Like the mix you’ve got, would love for Potter to be involved somehow but not sure who I’d leave out for him. Tough on Scott too who has looked like the sort of 12 we have been missing since Allen IMO. Also van Wyk who hasn’t done a lot wrong given our play tactics.
Might even be tempted for no Henry and give JMcP another bench shot - didn’t have much time yesterday to show himself.

For once in a while we have a (largely) strong depth in the backs - and it’s criminal we aren’t playing to their strengths.
Like the look of Moroni on the wing? Surely we have far better options in the likes of Murimurivalu, Van Wyk, Potter and Simmons. Moroni at 13 for me not out of position on the wing
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:27 pm

Would go with if fit
1. De Bruin
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Henderson
5. Lavanini
6. Liebenberg (C)
7. Wallace
8. Wiese
9. Wigg
10. Bonilla
11. Nadolo
12. Porter
13. Taute
14. Moroni
15. Steward

19. Martin, 20. Brink

Like the look of Moroni on the wing? Surely we have far better options in the likes of Murimurivalu, Van Wyk, Potter and Simmons. Moroni at 13 for me not out of position on the wing
Was more the overall outlook of the squad. I said the backs (bar halfback) are interesting to choose from given our options, not that I’d necessarily have them play in those positions.

For what it’s worth, Moroni has played regularly at wing for both the Jaguares and Argentina, including scoring against England at the World Cup. Agree his best position is 13 and whilst we have options outwide that deserve their shot, if it gets him the ball more could be worth a go. In the same vein as Nadolo at 12 - not his primary position but has played there before to good effect. Not saying I would - it’s just options to get the ball in their hands.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:47 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:27 pm

Was more the overall outlook of the squad. I said the backs (bar halfback) are interesting to choose from given our options, not that I’d necessarily have them play in those positions.

For what it’s worth, Moroni has played regularly at wing for both the Jaguares and Argentina, including scoring against England at the World Cup. Agree his best position is 13 and whilst we have options outwide that deserve their shot, if it gets him the ball more could be worth a go. In the same vein as Nadolo at 12 - not his primary position but has played there before to good effect. Not saying I would - it’s just options to get the ball in their hands.
Fair enough can’t argue with that
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He also started on the wing for all the Jaguares play off games including the final.
I feel against teams with no real attacking 13 speedsters like Rona or Radradra that Taute actually works out quite well, Worcester won't have that with Lawrence off so IMO Taute might be the better fit for next week. Porter at 12 would give a bit more speed to help him.
Moroni to the wing, over some of the others would be more just to see him there, and seeing if it's a option to have for when we might want to put in Taute for a bit more stability.

I would like Potter to play but don't know his fitness status.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

No issue with kicking for position but when inside their 10 m line we need to keep hold of the ball. When we attack off set piece we look fine off the first phase but struggle thereafter. That’s what makes Ford so important- he can organise multiple phases and cohesion in the heat of the battle on their 22. I ha e strong doubts as to whether Henry and the coaches have the ability to do that.