Top Cat

Tomas Lavanini signs for Clermont

Post by jauzy19 »

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tomas Lavanini signs for Clermont

Post by sam16111986 »

Very disappointing. He'll need replacing. His weight has been very handy in the tight five when fit and firing.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Very disappointed, sincerely hope we are going to get some good news about signings soon because loosing Taufua and Lavanini is a serious blow
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Another one bites the dust what on earth is going on at our club or is it just down to filthy cash?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/lavanini-210128

Tigers statement, makes it sound like there won't be a replacement and instead we will promote from within
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Sound like cloth cutting to me.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

He will take some replacing especially at Scrum Time, there is an obvious difference when he is packing down in the row.

That's 2 presumably big earners leaving (The silence on Taufua is embarrassing, as is the lack of any meaningful "LTTV" recently)

Money is obviously a big issue for the club, that we all understand, if this is a case of cutting our cloth etc, then tell us, the long term survival of the club is the priority of the board at present (& rightly so) but some of the smoke & mirrors in general at the club in recent times, whilst preaching being open & clarity doesn't marry up.

We have some good young 2nd rows but Big Tomas is the type we have needed since Slater was kicked out & Deacon retired.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well the cap is going down next season
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Or maybe we will recruit, Borthwick could be playing mind games?

As disappointing as it is, I think it's fair to say that Wells and Green have formed a pretty stern second row pairing of late and in Martin, Henderson and Chessum we have young, exciting locks that have proven to be physical at a senior level. So whilst Lavanini is both a surprising and disappointing loss after the end of the season, I'm not sure it will be disastrous.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Perhaps this is the moment for Traveller's favourite player to re-establish himself in the side :smt003?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Well that is a bit more of a blow than JT in my mind.

That said cutting our cloth accordingly to survive and meet the new cap may be vital.

I'd like to see Liebenberg given a chance a Lock at some point to understand if that's a possible avenue we can look at.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

It was always likely given finances and such is his playing style he will have been in high demand in the Top 14. We now have two big wages off the books next season - close to £1m all in you would suspect (before 25% reductions).

McGinity did highlight over the summer the wage demands for locks is too high, so we would look to develop our own going forward and that is bearing fruit. It is important he finishes the season with us, but I am excited to see Martin, Henderson, & Chessum grow in importance further next season when they have bulked up even more. Very happy to trust SB's opinion on locks and cannot help but feel Tomas was not his type of player due to indiscipline.

With Lavinini and Taufua both going, that really does signify the end of Geordan's & Cohen's recruitment into the squad. Part of this is cost cutting, but if we can bring in a 7 like van staden, a physical 12 to put pressure on Scott's spot and either a TH / lock to provide squad depth for a season while the homegrown lads continue to develop I will be pretty pleased.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Memory might be weak but wasn't he linked to Racing or Bordeaux during the Transfer saga last summer? Maybe a similar case to Taufua?
Last edited by RagingBull on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

There is obviously a lack of understanding by some supporters, the salary cap is being reduced and the number of marquee players is being cut from two to one so one of those players or their replacement has to be absorbed to fall within the cap which in round figure means we are allowed to spend about two million pounds less on the same number of players. It is not surprising that some foreign born players over here to earn a high wage will follow the cash on offer and go to whoever pays best.
Lavanini has been a good player for us, in no way the penalty machine that some forecast he would be when he signed, he is seeing out his contract, he owes us nothing and I wish him well. In the second row we will still have Well, Green, Martin, Henderson and Chessum. I will not be surprised if there are other departures and incomings as Steve Borthwick builds a balanced squad within the permitted salary cap.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not as big a loss as JT,he’s been very good at times but not outstanding. Has he really been any better overall than Wells?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer