Jordan Taufua signs for Lyon OU with immediate effect

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Jordan Taufua signs for Lyon OU with immediate effect

Post by MCC1964 »

Don’t suppose the COVID situation here and being burgled twice helped.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

MCC1964 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:09 pm Don’t suppose the COVID situation here and being burgled twice helped.
Or the 25% reduction in salary
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wish him all the best! He's a great player though we do have a decent Back Row left behind. Hopefully this works for all parties involved no hard feelings all the best JT
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Shame to see him go but was always going to happen after the pay cut. I wonder what was said to make him stay the first time round when the others left.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

In a word, "gutted". Good luck to him though.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:30 pm Shame to see him go but was always going to happen after the pay cut. I wonder what was said to make him stay the first time round when the others left.
Not sure anything was said, I think his offer in France fell through. I am guessing, and it is only a guess, that there may have been a handshake agreement that he stayed for the time being and we agreed a release when another offer was on the table.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:36 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:30 pm Shame to see him go but was always going to happen after the pay cut. I wonder what was said to make him stay the first time round when the others left.
Not sure anything was said, I think his offer in France fell through. I am guessing, and it is only a guess, that there may have been a handshake agreement that he stayed for the time being and we agreed a release when another offer was on the table.
To my mind this works for us and him

He gets the new improved job offer

We get cap space to take Montoya early

With Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese, Brink, Wallace, T Smith, Coughlan & Lewis it's not like we're left short
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

If it is true that Jordan has left I am sorry but he has only made about 14 or fifteen appearances for us so I think we will survive his departure. He played well whenever he took the pitch for us but was rarely if ever an eighty minute player, he was looking to leave last year, I hope he enjoys Lyon, it is a lovely city famous for its food,especially offal. Good luck to him, I expect Tigers to spend the money he releases wisely.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Sad to see him go, always gave 100%, great intensity and never seen a player his size carry the ball with such purpose. Will be missed, but for me didn’t make the starting backrow when everyone was fit. Also he could be prone to giving away the stupid penalties at the breakdown. No doubt his salary made Montoya possible. Can leave with his head held high, enjoyed seeing him in a Tigers shirt.
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

All the best to Taufua, a sad case of what could have been for both parties.

On the pitch - Steamrolling Hogg will live long in the memory, as will his general ball carrying aggression particularly against Glos in the restart, but sadly my abiding memory will be JT walking away from numerous rucks hands on head following another breakdown penalty. It never quite clicked for a marquee player - granted 14 disrupted appearances in a team in flux is a fair caveat.

Off the pitch - less said the better. At least we will always have his dance videos from lockdown 1.

He always gave 100% and for that I wish him well and hope he makes a lot of money in Lyon. I wish he had bumped into the ones who burgled him.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

GB72 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:36 pm
Sopoaga and Taufua both went to france to sign the deal and it fell through when they was in the country.
Taufua was then stuck in no mans land and accepted the reduce wage. (Same with Sopoaga)

Reality is Taufua was going end of season, Lyon offered a small financial compensation and when you look at our back row compared to last season we might have felt like might as well take the money and play someone who wants to be here longer.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Big big loss this, but fully understand why he wants to go, he stayed on NZ longer than many others have without a cap (some with Caps too), & no doubt wants to look after himself longterm.
The Hogg demolition will long live in our memories.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:05 pm The Hogg demolition will long live in our memories.
...and maybe longer in Hogg's :smt044 :smt044
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

fentiger wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:12 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:05 pm The Hogg demolition will long live in our memories.
...and maybe longer in Hogg's :smt044 :smt044
Because why not share it again...

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status ... 74982?s=19
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Those were the days; live rugby and screaming fans.

I can only dream......
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!