LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:50 am Shocked that we re-signed Hardwick and Olowefela. McPhillips too tbf
Would be cheap and help numbers.
Also Murphy was a fan of both Hardwick and Olowofela, Maybe because they were his batch of youngsters he would play to say to fans look we are giving younger lads a go so be easier on us.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:53 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:50 am Shocked that we re-signed Hardwick and Olowefela. McPhillips too tbf
Also Murphy was a fan of both Hardwick and Olowofela, Maybe because they were his batch of youngsters he would play to say to fans look we are giving younger lads a go so be easier on us.
Good points. Do you see any of the 3 stepping up?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I can us having a much more trimmed squad with the likes of Hardwick, McPhillips, Olowofela, Kerr, Enever, Bower, Coghlan and Lewis all going.

With the likes of Martin, Henderson and Smith coming in to the senior squad. Maybe in the past we would have kept some on but with Covid and the affect on finances I can see those not making the grade not being given the time to improve.
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:54 am
I think Mcphilips could well become a decent 22/23 option in the future, would like to see him play with more quality around him.
(Having said that Borthwick has now picked up at 23).
Still have some hopes for Olowofela but he really needs a season in the championship too hopefully get some confidence and maybe a time to bulk up a little.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:00 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:54 am

I think Mcphilips could well become a decent 22/23 option in the future, would like to see him play with more quality around him.
(Having said that Borthwick has now picked up at 23).
Still have some hopes for Olowofela but he really needs a season in the championship too hopefully get some confidence and maybe a time to bulk up a little.
Looks like SB agrees with you on McPhillips, that or Bonilla has a niggle we haven't been told about
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Must have missed it, what is the reason Lewis is often touted as leaving?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

anz3001 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:25 pm Must have missed it, what is the reason Lewis is often touted as leaving?
For a lot of people that is the big question.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

anz3001 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:25 pm Must have missed it, what is the reason Lewis is often touted as leaving?
Because he never gets a look in. I think he's been on the bench once this season, and came on for the last few minutes?

Some would say he's not the kind of forward anyone wants in 2021- how many head coaches are looking for a lock or flanker who is really quick and good in broken play? Possibly not very many, they all just want big units who can smash through the gain line, tackling machines and/or jackals... nothing else.

At the right club he could be brilliant, but I don't think that club is Borthwick's Tigers.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

George Kruis is out of contract for next season currently.

If Lavanini and Enever both go, then who knows. (Heard absolutely zero on this just wondering aloud).
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:32 pm
Because he never gets a look in. I think he's been on the bench once this season, and came on for the last few minutes?

Some would say he's not the kind of forward anyone wants in 2021- how many head coaches are looking for a lock or flanker who is really quick and good in broken play? Possibly not very many, they all just want big units who can smash through the gain line, tackling machines and/or jackals... nothing else.

At the right club he could be brilliant, but I don't think that club is Borthwick's Tigers.
You wonder if Tom Croft would of got anywhere in the current climate?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It was before Borthwick came in though, mind you.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:52 pm

You wonder if Tom Croft would of got anywhere in the current climate?
Quite possibly not as far as he did get. Although, I think his physicality and toughness were sometimes overlooked because of the spectacular highlights reel.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Perhaps my memory is ajar, I thought he had a few good games where he stood out late last season and then got injured?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

anz3001 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:18 pm
Perhaps my memory is ajar, I thought he had a few good games where he stood out late last season and then got injured?
He was injured I think pre-covid then after the covid break didn't seem to play much, there was a grey area was he injured, had he tested positive or was he just in the group SB never really rated or fitted into his system.

This season he's only made a bench appearance in the reserve friendly vs Sarries
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:35 pm
anz3001 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:18 pm

He was injured I think pre-covid then after the covid break didn't seem to play much, there was a grey area was he injured, had he tested positive or was he just in the group SB never really rated or fitted into his system.

This season he's only made a bench appearance in the reserve friendly vs Sarries
He played really well at the end of 2019 and into the start of 2020 and then after Covid never really got selected. He wasn't injured and did not get covid. Heard his style of play isn't to Borthwick's liking. Any players you're not seeing on the team sheet will be for the same reason. Borthwick is having a clear out. Lewis is out of contract at the end of this season. Shame he's a good player - be sad to see him go if he does. Tigers loss, should have been developed more.