LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by TigerCam »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:51 pm
Snoopydog68 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:26 pm Well I am over the moon Freddie Burns is back. If Borthwick didn't think he was good enough he wouldn't have signed him. Looking forward to next season. :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
My thoughts as well.
Looking forward to seeing Freddie back in a Tigers shirt, which IMO he served the Tigers very well and was a pleasure to watch. I was disappointed to see him go in the switch with George and didn't think then, and still don't, that when both are on their game there is little to choose between them so why swap in the first place? I believe SteveB move to get him back is a really good one given his ability at 15 also. As long as he refrains from 'showboating' all will be well. :smt026
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by ay2oh »

No doubt Freddie loves the Tigers and is a good player but prone to brain farts. He is not in the same class as Ford in my opinion of course
A2O
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Burns is a good signing, I can only imagine it's to replace Bonilla who it seems is unable to play much due to his nationality and when he does he hasn't impressed. Yes there are mitigating circumstances and I feel for him, but those circumstances aren't going to change and he isn't going to be available more often so there is little sense in him being here. McPhillips has looked decent occasionally and below par fairly often. Has he had much of an opportunity? Maybe not, but this is elite sport and you're not going to get 20 games to prove yourself if you don't show enough quality. He must have some ability given the amount he played at Ulster as a youngster, but he's 24 now and I can't see him being a 1st/2nd choice Premiership 10 any time soon. Henry is similarly inconsistent and is too error prone. Burns is the better 10 and the better 15.

If Burns is coming at the right price (which I can only assume he is) then it's a very good piece of business. "But what about the youngsters?!" - well, we don't have any at ten. Had Costelow stayed we might not be going for Burns, but he didn't so we're left with Ford and some mid-twenties guys who are yet to prove that they belong in the Premiership. Burns on the other hand is a proven top level player and Borthwick needs proven top level players to go with our exciting youngsters in other positions.

People seem to forget Burns' achievements:
England International
Part of an England team that beat NZ
More than 2,000 club points (more than George Ford)
Significant Champions Cup experience
Strong Premiership experience at 15

He is still only 30, he has plenty more to give.

When Clare came back I thought he would just be making up the squad numbers, but he's proved me very wrong. Very impressed with his performances and more than good enough to be our 3rd hooker next season. Pleased he has been rewarded.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:56 pm Burns is a good signing, I can only imagine it's to replace Bonilla who it seems is unable to play much due to his nationality and when he does he hasn't impressed. Yes there are mitigating circumstances and I feel for him, but those circumstances aren't going to change and he isn't going to be available more often so there is little sense in him being here. McPhillips has looked decent occasionally and below par fairly often. Has he had much of an opportunity? Maybe not, but this is elite sport and you're not going to get 20 games to prove yourself if you don't show enough quality. He must have some ability given the amount he played at Ulster as a youngster, but he's 24 now and I can't see him being a 1st/2nd choice Premiership 10 any time soon. Henry is similarly inconsistent and is too error prone. Burns is the better 10 and the better 15.

If Burns is coming at the right price (which I can only assume he is) then it's a very good piece of business. "But what about the youngsters?!" - well, we don't have any at ten. Had Costelow stayed we might not be going for Burns, but he didn't so we're left with Ford and some mid-twenties guys who are yet to prove that they belong in the Premiership. Burns on the other hand is a proven top level player and Borthwick needs proven top level players to go with our exciting youngsters in other positions.

England International

When Clare came back I thought he would just be making up the squad numbers, but he's proved me very wrong. Very impressed with his performances and more than good enough to be our 3rd hooker next season. Pleased he has been rewarded.
Agree with all of this. In a way he is our very own Charlie Hodgson post Sale. Never quite made it on the International front and unfortunate to come along when a certain JW was around - but fantastic at club level. When Hodgson went to Saracens with a dominant pack playing in front of him he was superb. Having Ford and Burns around - and who knows the RFU might jettison EJ, or EJ might jettison Ford. But if we have both it will be great for the club, if we have one all of the time whilst Ford is away such is life on Henry / McPhillips and Bonilla. A shrewd bit of business in my view. Now if Mr Kruis can just see sense and sign a contract on a charitable basis, and not be paid.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Has their been any official link to Dylan Smith? Or is it just that he followed the Tigers on social media platforms? For what it’s worth he is best friends with Cyle Brink, have played age group rugby together since kids, so could just be him keeping tabs on his mate...
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:56 pm Burns is a good signing, I can only imagine it's to replace Bonilla who it seems is unable to play much due to his nationality and when he does he hasn't impressed. Yes there are mitigating circumstances and I feel for him, but those circumstances aren't going to change and he isn't going to be available more often so there is little sense in him being here. McPhillips has looked decent occasionally and below par fairly often. Has he had much of an opportunity? Maybe not, but this is elite sport and you're not going to get 20 games to prove yourself if you don't show enough quality. He must have some ability given the amount he played at Ulster as a youngster, but he's 24 now and I can't see him being a 1st/2nd choice Premiership 10 any time soon. Henry is similarly inconsistent and is too error prone. Burns is the better 10 and the better 15.

England International

+1 :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:49 pm Has their been any official link to Dylan Smith? Or is it just that he followed the Tigers on social media platforms? For what it’s worth he is best friends with Cyle Brink, have played age group rugby together since kids, so could just be him keeping tabs on his mate...

I did say that it could be nothing more than keeping tabs on the south africans etc.
Hence why it's not in the rumour section in the OP

I am pretty certain a prop is on the way
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:56 pm People seem to forget Burns' achievements:
England International

By that CV you have to ask yourself why hasn't Freddie secured a starting place in a Prem club?

Like many posters on here I can't see Fordy being away much once the RFU sort their coaching out, and if Henry is with us next season then Freddie has taken another odd move back to a club where he is possibly third choice.

BTW according to the official Premiership Rugby stats (not Wiki!!!) Freddie has scored 1,344pts in the Prem and Fordy has more at 1,374pts so far.

Anyway, welcome back Freddie :smt023