LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:01 pm Surely the club must know how the RFU/PRL are going to treat the previously "domestic" Kolpak players then? Otherwise the 2 overseas player limit is going to make most of these players redundant on match day?

And are we going to average 15 English qualified players to get the bonus payments (if they still exist). Surely we must be close to fielding the least amount of EQP on a match day these days.
Just done the calcs

We're at 13.9 just prem games anf 13.83 inc the 2 European games (not sure if those games qualify)

Certainly doable to get up to 15 for the remainder of the season, certainly if the prem cup starts (and counts) with midweek fixtures where midweek teams will definitely have more EQP players in the team as all our Development players are EQP.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:26 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:23 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:37 pm I could see Martin being starting no.4 by next season. Plus Henderson always impresses so think we’re pretty well stocked in the second row department.
I think you might be right regarding Martin and maybe harnessing his potential will be why won’t be signing an expensive 2nd rower?

Still time to see Kruis arrive so a nice situation to be in either way
where has the talk of Kruis come from, I understand Burns he hasn't settled in Japan but heard nothing of Kruis struggling over there?
I believe (but could be wrong) that Kruis signed a one year deal with a potential one year extension. It's more of a sabbatical with an option to continue then it is a long term move. He's only just turned 31 he could still come back and make the England squad again.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:26 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:23 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:37 pm I could see Martin being starting no.4 by next season. Plus Henderson always impresses so think we’re pretty well stocked in the second row department.
I think you might be right regarding Martin and maybe harnessing his potential will be why won’t be signing an expensive 2nd rower?

Still time to see Kruis arrive so a nice situation to be in either way
where has the talk of Kruis come from, I understand Burns he hasn't settled in Japan but heard nothing of Kruis struggling over there?
Egerton in a WRW said Kruis was the "type" of player we needed. It wasn't linking him but saying his name made a few ears :censored: up including mine, with his history with Borthwick too it was thought that it may have legs.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:26 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:01 pm Surely the club must know how the RFU/PRL are going to treat the previously "domestic" Kolpak players then? Otherwise the 2 overseas player limit is going to make most of these players redundant on match day?

And are we going to average 15 English qualified players to get the bonus payments (if they still exist). Surely we must be close to fielding the least amount of EQP on a match day these days.
Last weekend Vs Bristol with four players away with England we still had Youngs, Cole, Green, Wells, Reffell, Wigglesworth, Henry, Steward, Porter, Clare, Heyes, Chessum, Wallace, JVP and McPhillips as EQ. That's 15 by my count.
But you have to assume some of the new signings will take the place of the current players mentioned e.g. Wallace and Chessum
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:32 pm

Last weekend Vs Bristol with four players away with England we still had Youngs, Cole, Green, Wells, Reffell, Wigglesworth, Henry, Steward, Porter, Clare, Heyes, Chessum, Wallace, JVP and McPhillips as EQ. That's 15 by my count.
But you have to assume some of the new signings will take the place of the current players mentioned e.g. Wallace and Chessum
All 4 new signings are replacing overseas players.

Marfo -> Gigena
Van Wyk -> De Bruin
Van Staden -> Taufua
Synman -> Enever &/or Lavannini

Chessum himself has re-signed so doubt he's losing opportunities.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:28 pm

Just done the calcs

We're at 13.9 just prem games anf 13.83 inc the 2 European games (not sure if those games qualify)

Certainly doable to get up to 15 for the remainder of the season, certainly if the prem cup starts (and counts) with midweek fixtures where midweek teams will definitely have more EQP players in the team as all our Development players are EQP.
Just checking you have Henderson, McPhillips and Kelly as EQP?
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:49 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:28 pm

Just done the calcs

Just checking you have Henderson, McPhillips and Kelly as EQP?
Yes, though not saying I haven't miscounted one or two.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Actually I think Chessum and Martin will find it far easier to edge Snyman out of the 23 than they would Lavanini. Our new loosehead Van Wyk is also EQ on residency where as Gigena/de Bruin who he is replacing were/are not. Reffell and Wallace will have more competition for the openside berth though you are quite right, though openside is an attritional position so being able to rotate (which we know Borthwick likes to do) is useful.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:43 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:26 pm Last weekend Vs Bristol with four players away with England we still had Youngs, Cole, Green, Wells, Reffell, Wigglesworth, Henry, Steward, Porter, Clare, Heyes, Chessum, Wallace, JVP and McPhillips as EQ. That's 15 by my count.
All 4 new signings are replacing overseas players.

Marfo -> Gigena
Van Wyk -> De Bruin
Van Staden -> Taufua
Synman -> Enever &/or Lavannini

Chessum himself has re-signed so doubt he's losing opportunities.
I'm less worried about individual players getting opportunities, more the overall number of EQPs in the squad. For instance, you have to assume Montoya will be involved in most match days as the number 1 hooker. It won't mean that Clare won't get opportunities, just that we won't have two EQP hookers that often as the Youngs/Clare double act isn't as strong as Montoya/XXX. I guess it comes down to what the strongest 23 is and how much rotation is needed to reach the average of 15.

The overseas player rules are the main issue. There must be an announcement imminent if we are resigning and signing more technically overseas players now that the Kolpak ruling doesn't exist.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:07 pm
The overseas player rules are the main issue. There must be an announcement imminent if we are resigning and signing more technically overseas players now that the Kolpak ruling doesn't exist.
Very true, it will be interesting to see what the overseas rule is, if it's in place for next year or if they delay it again.

If they do change it for next year I don't think we're worst off, after Andrea and Pete, last night though saying how they're not making spur of the moment signings, I would think, they either have visibility of what the rules are likely to be OR know it's not coming in for a season or two.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wouldn’t fancy coming up against a pack containing Genge, Montoya, Snyman, Liebenberg, Van Staden and Wiese! That is the making of one gnarly looking pack right there!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

So what will we be known as Tafferans, Tafricans Tigrans ? Who knows :smt017

On a serious note, how tied to Tigers are Steward, JVP, etc, do their current contracts tie them up for say 1/2 years or are they just on their current year only etc?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:02 pm So what will we be known as Tafferans, Tafricans Tigrans ? Who knows :smt017

On a serious note, how tied to Tigers are Steward, JVP, etc, do their current contracts tie them up for say 1/2 years or are they just on their current year only etc?
Best I’ve seen is Lekker Tigers! For those that don’t know lekker means great, cool etc.. seems pretty accurate to me! :smt002 :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:02 pm So what will we be known as Tafferans, Tafricans Tigrans ? Who knows :smt017

Martin, JVP & Steward all extended their contracts less than a year ago, though we don't know how long these were for.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ti ... ers-200705
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 pm

Best I’ve seen is Lekker Tigers! For those that don’t know lekker means great, cool etc.. seems pretty accurate to me! :smt002 :smt023
I thought it was Africaan's pronunciation of Leicester :smt001