LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Borthwick in his BBC Leicester interview also confirmed that Richard Wilkes will stay until Leigh Jones arrives in May to oversee recruitment.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by RichieB »

Let’s give the fella a chance, shall we? He is obviously rated by those who have signed him up, so I have to assume (until proven otherwise) that he will do a decent job.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Given that it’s less than a year ago, when there used to be endless circular debate on here (and I was part of it), about who reporting to who. Will Murphy pick the team, as Director of Rugby if Borthwick is Head Coach. Is it the rugby committee, that has the final say on recruitment? Who will be in ultimate charge on the field? What’s the difference between Ged Glynn’s previous role and his new role, and where does that fit in relation McGinity? What does Simon Cohen have responsibility for and what doesn’t he? Etc. It’s refreshing (in what is a relatively simple business) to now have clarity around structure, function and purpose. Borthwick is in absolute charge of what happens on the rugby pitch. Everything else is directed in relatively straight forward terms to support that. That leads to accountability. No more picking a defence coach because “he lives locally, is available and knows the club.” I’ll trust the people in charge to have chosen wisely. Humility and patience.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

RichieB wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:51 pm Let’s give the fella a chance, shall we? He is obviously rated by those who have signed him up, so I have to assume (until proven otherwise) that he will do a decent job.
So are you saying we should not discuss him or his credentials? I don't see any one decrying him, are we just to sit back and say nothing?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

As noted previously , the man in charge will want to be surrounded by his own people.See nothing wrong in this , should these individuals have the requisite ability .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Traveller wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:43 pm I’ll trust the people in charge to have chosen wisely.
Trouble is, they haven't given us a lot of reasons to trust their judgement in recent years.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

George Worth Loan to Melbourne Rebels

Full back, George Worth – who is an Australian Citizen - has joined the Rebels on loan from English Premiership side Leicester Tigers, where the twenty-four-year-old has made 62 appearances since joining the club in 2016.

https://melbournerebels.rugby/news/2021 ... ury-report
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 am George Worth Loan to Melbourne Rebels

Full back, George Worth – who is an Australian Citizen - has joined the Rebels on loan from English Premiership side Leicester Tigers, where the twenty-four-year-old has made 62 appearances since joining the club in 2016.

Got to say I'm in favour of loaning to Aus where development games are occurring, even if not playing in the first XV they'll get game time.

Good luck to him!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 am George Worth Loan to Melbourne Rebels

Didn’t know he was an Aussie citizen I must admit - glad to see players able to get game time and experience a different style of life too. Best of luck to him! At least he’ll have Matt To’omua in the squad as a friendly face!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:46 am
Traveller wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:43 pm I’ll trust the people in charge to have chosen wisely.
Trouble is, they haven't given us a lot of reasons to trust their judgement in recent years.
Difficult for even me to argue with you on that one. I just get the sense that we are getting there - maybe in spite of.......
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So far could see a prem cup team of
1. Whitcombe, 2. Clare, 3. Leatigaga
4. Henderson, 5. Green
6. Chessum, 7. Wallace, 8. Smith
9. JVP/Wigglesworth, 10. Bonilla/McPhillips
12. Taute, 13. Kelly
11. Simmons, 14. Potter, 15. Murimurivalu

16. Kerr, 17. Bower, 18. Hurd
19. Manz, 20. Lavin
21. White, 22. Bonilla/McPhillips, 23. Williams?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:41 am So far could see a prem cup team of
1. Whitcombe, 2. Clare, 3. Leatigaga
4. Henderson, 5. Green
6. Chessum, 7. Wallace, 8. Smith
9. JVP/Wigglesworth, 10. Bonilla/McPhillips
12. Taute, 13. Kelly
11. Simmons, 14. Potter, 15. Murimurivalu

16. Kerr, 17. Bower, 18. Hurd
19. Manz, 20. Lavin
21. White, 22. Bonilla/McPhillips, 23. Williams?
I'd go similar, probably swap Wells for Green, as Green is currently favoured in the first team so may be getting quite a lot of minutes.

I'd definitely want Wigglesworth paired with White in this team and JVP paired with Youngs in the first team.

Depending on Nadolo, I'd maybe put Potter at 15 and have Aspland Robinson starting on the wing (thereby saving Murimurivalu)
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Good article on Wigglesworth
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56260335

I'm sure a certain poster will add it too his favourites
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:21 pm Good article on Wigglesworth
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56260335

I'm sure a certain poster will add it too his favourites
I saw that article and thought exactly the same! :smt007
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!