LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

LE18 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:42 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:17 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:04 pm
How many games has Bonilla played in? He is a class player but needs to find the form that he has shown in games before he joined Tigers.
but he isn't going to get those games is he
I think he has only played 4 times, 10, 10, 40, and 43 mins, and as to why he's nervous, wouldn't anyone be with only this amount of trust?
he's an international 10 if he's that nervous playing in the Prem he really shouldn't be here, but the point is given the restrictions more often then not he won't be able to be used without leaving out a more certain starter
BG01

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by BG01 »

I think the squad is in a really good place for next season. Only possible exceptions are:

Prop
We're probably a body short if De Bruin goes. Think this is solved if Venter joins, especially as Whitcombe looked good yesterday.

Lock
We have no shortage of good locks but it's made harder by (1) SB likes to play one at 6 and doesn't seem to see Hanro or Martin as locks (2) we're missing someone European-class, with Tomas going. Think we could make do with the current stock, but someone like Kruis joining to help the to help the youngsters develop would be massive. Having Van Staden in the backrow may make us more resilient here to use Chessum/Martin/Henderson more in the row.

Fly half
This is our only genuine problem position. Ford is arguably the best FH in the world so there will always be a drop off after him. But there's not a clear second choice, with Tito, Henry, and McPhillips all getting a bit of game time and playing ok but not consistently putting their hand up. I personally think McPhillips is underrated and people forget how young he is. I don't think we should sign anyone, but we clearly need a better idea of who our second best 10 is and to help them adapt to our gameplan.

Full back
Steward clearly first choice and Kini a great back up. But with Kini getting older and Steward potentially away with England, it's not clear who the next cab off the rank is. Worth may come good, and Henry could cover, but it seems we're a bit exposed. An experienced player who can play 10 and 15 would put us in a good position here.
Never believe generalisations
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

BG01 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:26 pm I think the squad is in a really good place for next season. Only possible exceptions are:

Prop
We're probably a body short if De Bruin goes. Think this is solved if Venter joins, especially as Whitcombe looked good yesterday.
Venter is now confirmed to Edinburgh, though Van Wyk from Saints is supposedly over the line.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Murimurivalu is only 32 end of this season, I reckon he still has 2/3 seasons at this level also. I reckon Simmons could do quite well at 15, Potter has also played full back.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:31 pm
BG01 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:26 pm I think the squad is in a really good place for next season. Only possible exceptions are:

Prop
Venter is now confirmed to Edinburgh, though Van Wyk from Saints is supposedly over the line.
Yes, good point, that totally slipped my mind! But Van Wyk will be perfect for that role. I wonder if we'll see more of Nephi at TH if so, as we'll have very young stock at TH

LH: Genge, (Nephi), Van Wyk, Whitcombe
TH: Cole, Heyes, Hurd, Dimen, Rowntree
Never believe generalisations
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Prop

Lock
We have no shortage of good locks but it's made harder by (1) SB likes to play one at 6 and doesn't seem to see Hanro or Martin as locks (2) we're missing someone European-class, with Tomas going. Think we could make do with the current stock, but someone like Kruis joining to help the to help the youngsters develop would be massive. Having Van Staden in the backrow may make us more resilient here to use Chessum/Martin/Henderson more in the row.

Fly half
This is our only genuine problem position. Ford is arguably the best FH in the world so there will always be a drop off after him. But there's not a clear second choice, with Tito, Henry, and McPhillips all getting a bit of game time and playing ok but not consistently putting their hand up. I personally think McPhillips is underrated and people forget how young he is. I don't think we should sign anyone, but we clearly need a better idea of who our second best 10 is and to help them adapt to our gameplan.

Full back
Steward clearly first choice and Kini a great back up. But with Kini getting older and Steward potentially away with England, it's not clear who the next cab off the rank is. Worth may come good, and Henry could cover, but it seems we're a bit exposed. An experienced player who can play 10 and 15 would put us in a good position here.
Largely agree with this although I would say Henry is definitely occupying the backup FH spot at the moment and I think he has a lot of potential. He has off games both with ball in hand and off the tee but has also been outstanding in other games. Give the lad time and i think he will come good. As for Bonilla I really can't see him being kept on. Quality player who just hasn't had the opportunities at Tigers due to the early arrival of Montoya. With him and Moroni likely to take the 2 Overseas spots on a regular basis it leaves very little game time for Bonilla. When he does get a chance he understandably looks rusty so gets hauled off after 40. Can't see him being kept on next season. McPhillips has a lot to offer and is a great option at 3rd FH.

I would add in to the mix Centre pairings. not sure we have found our best one yet and I do think we could do with a world class centre but it will likely attract a large amount of salary cap so I think it's likely we will make do with what we have. I would go for Porter and Moroni as my first choice and Scott Kelly and Taute adding strength in depth.

Lock is definitely an area I want adding to. Green and Wells are solid enough. Henderson I really rate and would like to see more of and Martin is technically a lock being used more and more in the back row but with Liebenberg Reffell Brink Wiese and potentially Van Staden giving us incredible options across the back row I would like to see more of Martin at lock. Lavanini needs replacing though and Kruis would be perfect.

Prop, would love to see De Bruin stay but more than happy with Van Wyk and as you say I think we are pretty set in this department.

The strength in depth across the squad is fantastic with great players and options in most positions. Finally guys having to fight for the shirt :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jordan Olowofela joined Western Force on loan.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:01 am Jordan Olowofela joined Western Force on loan.
The fact it's a loan means that there may be some way for him to get back into the reckoning for a place. That or we couldn't find anyone to pay enough wages for him to be tempted to leave, so had to share wages
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jonny Law loan to Ampthill also confirmed.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:25 am
RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:01 am Jordan Olowofela joined Western Force on loan.
The fact it's a loan means that there may be some way for him to get back into the reckoning for a place. That or we couldn't find anyone to pay enough wages for him to be tempted to leave, so had to share wages
I think there is a way back for all of them except one.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:55 am
I'm surprised with all of the other releases that he's not been cut free yet. Also can't see that any other Premiership club would take him on?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:03 am

I'm surprised with all of the other releases that he's not been cut free yet. Also can't see that any other Premiership club would take him on?
He's got lots of potential he just hasn't developed as much as we'd like (as fans) or enough from the club's point of view to command a regular spot. A different environment might just reinvigorate him and he needs games to develop. Others have mentioned on here how a bit more depth at 15 would be useful and Jordan could help cover that. He just needs to step up a level.

Moving down to Perth for six months or whatever, what a lucky so and so. He'll be in a lockdown free area, beautiful part of the world. No excuses about motivation he should be loving it and wanting to show everyone down there what he can do and remind everyone back home he's still around.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:03 am

Tbh assuming we're talking about the same person as "the one" him being happy to take a wage that the club gets no benefit from doesn't seem too far fetched, however if you think how much his stock may have dropped with other clubs then you do wonder about how sensible an action it is in the long term...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

First step of Van Stedan confirmed
https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/jake- ... 6ea4e2eddb

It is unclear when he will join the East Midlands side at Welford Road, but with the Rainbow Cup on the horizon, White will use the Preparation Series over the next few weeks to identify a suitable figure at No 6, with Coetzee only expected in Pretoria in July.

“With us not having Marco van Staden going forward, we are going to try to find a back-up as an openside flanker as well, to take that role. I’ve got no doubt that a guy like Nizaam can do it,” the former Bok coach said.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:06 am First step of Van Stedan confirmed
https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/jake- ... 6ea4e2eddb

It is unclear when he will join the East Midlands side at Welford Road, but with the Rainbow Cup on the horizon, White will use the Preparation Series over the next few weeks to identify a suitable figure at No 6, with Coetzee only expected in Pretoria in July.

“With us not having Marco van Staden going forward, we are going to try to find a back-up as an openside flanker as well, to take that role. I’ve got no doubt that a guy like Nizaam can do it,” the former Bok coach said.
In this article it talks about his 6 shirt being taken. If he plays six surely we have leibenburg as a nailed on starter there. Hope it wouldn’t mean that he leaves.