LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:38 pm
Snoopydog68 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:09 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:33 pm SB is from the Eddie Jones school- you are either in or out. Have heard he can be quite marmite - think Taufua was the same as Gigena. Not saying that’s a bad think but I know some players have been taken aback by how direct and demanding he is.
Have heard the same - he seems to have come in and pushed a lot of players who were getting game time this time last year to the side (training only or loan) and brought in who he wants. I think a lot of the existing team as we know it will not be with us next season bar the new players. Hope it works - shame - they are good, just needed to play with a steady coaching team.

On another note I am appalled at the comments on facebook regarding Olowofela - he is a good player just not in the right club. Look at Tigers fan page on facebook to see. I'd love to see how many of those lovely people who have literally ripped him to pieces have played premiership rugby. :smt011 :smt011
Calm down. Just because we haven’t played premiership rugby doesn’t mean we aren’t entitled to an opinion. Olowefia is too lightweight and averse to contact. His only asset is his speed
Which, to be fair, we've hardly seen.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by JP14 »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:09 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:33 pm SB is from the Eddie Jones school- you are either in or out. Have heard he can be quite marmite - think Taufua was the same as Gigena. Not saying that’s a bad think but I know some players have been taken aback by how direct and demanding he is.
Have heard the same - he seems to have come in and pushed a lot of players who were getting game time this time last year to the side (training only or loan) and brought in who he wants. I think a lot of the existing team as we know it will not be with us next season bar the new players. Hope it works - shame - they are good, just needed to play with a steady coaching team.

On another note I am appalled at the comments on facebook regarding Olowofela - he is a good player just not in the right club. Look at Tigers fan page on facebook to see. I'd love to see how many of those lovely people who have literally ripped him to pieces have played premiership rugby. :smt011 :smt011
Just don’t look at the Tigers FB fan page full stop, makes the Forum look like a gospel choir.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I'm pleased with our outside back choices
11. Van Wyk, Potter, Simmons
12. Scott, Taute, Kelly
13. Moroni, Porter, Aspland-Robinson
14. Nadolo,
15. Steward, Murimurivalu

I do have some question marks over Scott and Taute.
Scott is extremely solid, like Allen level but without Ford we could do with a crash baller in the midfield mayber Porter could fill that?
Taute, skilful obviously very smart defender but injuries has really taken out his speed to cover, I reckon he could be a good academy coach also.

I'm hoping Browning will step up at Nottingham.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:19 pm I'm pleased with our outside back choices
12. Scott, Taute, Kelly
14. Nadolo,

I do have some question marks over Scott and Taute.
Scott is extremely solid, like Allen level but without Ford we could do with a crash baller in the midfield mayber Porter could fill that?
Taute, skilful obviously very smart defender but injuries has really taken out his speed to cover, I reckon he could be a good academy coach also.

I'm hoping Browning will step up at Nottingham.
Other than a project / utility type signing I wouldn’t change much in the outside backs going forwards. Wingers and 13 options particularly have impressed me - especially considering this has been of the most overturn in players over the last few seasons.

Taute will become a good coach in my eyes, similar with Wiggy. Both are invaluable to the squad if not playing. Porter and Kelly are definitely stepping up - the key will be holding on to these players long term as they could develop into quality players if they keep progressing as they are.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

given the restrictions on selecting overseas players and the fact he will be on a decent wedge of cash, Diaz Bonilla isn't worth keeping, McPhillips is a decent enough number 3 10 and we could use the wages elsewhere
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:48 pm given the restrictions on selecting overseas players and the fact he will be on a decent wedge of cash, Diaz Bonilla isn't worth keeping, McPhillips is a decent enough number 3 10 and we could use the wages elsewhere
Agreed! We would have almost certainly benefitted more from Montoya's presence today :smt017
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

fentiger wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:57 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:48 pm given the restrictions on selecting overseas players and the fact he will be on a decent wedge of cash, Diaz Bonilla isn't worth keeping, McPhillips is a decent enough number 3 10 and we could use the wages elsewhere
Agreed! We would have almost certainly benefitted more from Montoya's presence today :smt017
Agreed. Imagine he’s on a fair salary which is just a waste as Montoya and Moroni have to get the starting spots more often than not. Imagine he may be on his way sooner rather than later.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:19 pm I'm pleased with our outside back choices
12. Scott, Taute, Kelly
14. Nadolo,
Not sure SAR would be an option I’d choose at 13. Would keep him on the wing.

I’d probably say:

11. Van Wyk, Potter, SAR
12. Porter, Scott, Kelly
13. Moroni, Taute
14. Nadolo, Simmons
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:20 pm
12. Scott, Taute, Kelly
14. Nadolo,
Not sure SAR would be an option I’d choose at 13. Would keep him on the wing.

I’d probably say:

11. Van Wyk, Potter, SAR
12. Porter, Scott, Kelly
13. Moroni, Taute
14. Nadolo, Simmons
I don’t think Taute at 13 works, he hasn’t got the pace to cover the outside flanks. If anywhere he needs to stay at 12.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I think RB has said it before. Go after one of the outstanding young 10s from the last couple of years of the academy systems. Bailey, Barton, Finn Smith etc they aren't getting game time at their clubs. McPhillips is meh and Bonilla just isn't cutting it. Tell one of those young lads with masses of potential that they'll be third choice and pushing Henry for second. Ford misses a third of every season so there's plenty of opportunity. Put a three year deal in front of them and get the succession planning in place.

I suspect they'll be cheaper than Bonilla.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

People assume we're paying through the nose for Bonilla, I disagree we got him on a last minute deal at a point where his old club were on the verge of folding it seemed. He signed for one season. Ok I doubt he's on a pittance but wouldn't think he's too expensive. It's also been mentioned he's doing a bit of coaching work.

I'd be surprised if we saw him go before the end of the year, equally I'd be surprised if we resigned him.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 pm People assume we're paying through the nose for Bonilla, I disagree we got him on a last minute deal at a point where his old club were on the verge of folding it seemed. He signed for one season. Ok I doubt he's on a pittance but wouldn't think he's too expensive. It's also been mentioned he's doing a bit of coaching work.

I'd be surprised if we saw him go before the end of the year, equally I'd be surprised if we resigned him.
he's an international 10 he won't be cheap, especially not for a player that is 3rd choice in his position
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

How many games has Bonilla played in? He is a class player but needs to find the form that he has shown in games before he joined Tigers.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:04 pm
How many games has Bonilla played in? He is a class player but needs to find the form that he has shown in games before he joined Tigers.
but he isn't going to get those games is he
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:17 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:04 pm
but he isn't going to get those games is he
I think he has only played 4 times, 10, 10, 40, and 43 mins, and as to why he's nervous, wouldn't anyone be with only this amount of trust?