LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by Rob18C »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:34 pm
Rob18C wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:23 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 pm I do wonder though if some of this is to allow a mid-season recruit?

I mean this can't be to pay for Montoya as imagine what would have happened if we didn't agree terms with players, so I think we would have made sure they balance with the cap before this departure. I also don't see it as needed for staying afloat as we have just been given a loan by our owners.

So IMO it's one of 2 things

1. With Mamukashvili getting a lot less game time than he possibly expected and struggling with lockdown has wanted to go home to Georgia (completely understand if this is the case)

2. We needed a bit more wiggle room to bring in someone within this years cap...
I would have thought it is to pay for Montoya as he wasn't expected to join until the start of next season so originally we wouldn't have planned for his wages. I would assume Gigena leaving as well is to pay for the rest of montoya as well as I would expect montoya to be earning more than Mamu.
Oh definitely, but we've also had Taufua, Enever, Gienga & Mamu leave, some of the loanee's may be aren't being 100% paid by us. (Lets face it Taufua's wage reduction is the one that's likely paid for most of the cap space for Montoya)

I just don't think we would (definitely shouldn't) have agreed to take Montoya early if we hadn't even agreed the required offloads to make us compliant.

Can you imagine it we could have been begging people to leave. To my mind agreements were in place with some of the othere to drop the wages, just this seems a fair bit delayed than the others meaning I don't think it was directly involved with the cap compliance with Montoya
Fair points! was the taufua departure and Montoya early arrival announced/agreed near the same time, so on reflection agree this is more likely.

I still would be (pleasantly) surprised if we have anyone come in mid season as I would say we are pretty well covered in all positions, that is before the red cards/Martin's call up. Hopefully it is to get ready for lining up a second row replacement for Lavanini next season.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I see in the latest WRW Gienga has spoken in Argentina about leaving us, it appears mainly a bit of unease around the changes in coaching staff, guessing he got on with Boris well.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

SB is from the Eddie Jones school- you are either in or out. Have heard he can be quite marmite - think Taufua was the same as Gigena. Not saying that’s a bad think but I know some players have been taken aback by how direct and demanding he is.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:33 pm SB is from the Eddie Jones school- you are either in or out. Have heard he can be quite marmite - think Taufua was the same as Gigena. Not saying that’s a bad think but I know some players have been taken aback by how direct and demanding he is.
Not sure Taufua was in the same boat he was always planning on leaving and would have left pre SB but for the Beziers takeover falling through.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

I think he would have left anyway but I heard he did not get on with SB at all.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:42 pm I think he would have left anyway but I heard he did not get on with SB at all.
I think JT likes to play a bit more "Rugby" after years at the Crusaders.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:42 pm I think he would have left anyway but I heard he did not get on with SB at all.
Doesn't that first part sort of cancel out the later part though?
As a coach I can't see you being too keen on pleasing someone waiting for a chance to go.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

All gone a bit quiet on the Van Staden rumours.. not sure how likely this transfer is but I'm still hoping it's on the cards :smt027
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

It’s a done deal from what I heard
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:00 pm All gone a bit quiet on the Van Staden rumours.. not sure how likely this transfer is but I'm still hoping it's on the cards :smt027
Given him and the other Van Wyk are both supposedly done deals, the only reason to be waiting would be they're trying to sync all the announcements, so I suspect there's at least one other deal (🤞Kruis or De Bruin) that they're hoping to get over the line shortly. Or they want Van Staden past quarantine before announcing.

Also with Van Staden, according to his Instagram he was on his honeymoon, so I don't think he's in a position to do the media stuff for the new signing
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:11 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:00 pm All gone a bit quiet on the Van Staden rumours.. not sure how likely this transfer is but I'm still hoping it's on the cards :smt027
Given him and the other Van Wyk are both supposedly done deals, the only reason to be waiting would be they're trying to sync all the announcements, so I suspect there's at least one other deal (🤞Kruis or De Bruin) that they're hoping to get over the line shortly. Or they want Van Staden past quarantine before announcing.

Also with Van Staden, according to his Instagram he was on his honeymoon, so I don't think he's in a position to do the media stuff for the new signing
Thanks TFS. Fingers crossed as there would be some quality signings there.. can we have all 4 of those names please!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

:smt026
RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:05 pm It’s a done deal from what I heard
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:33 pm SB is from the Eddie Jones school- you are either in or out. Have heard he can be quite marmite - think Taufua was the same as Gigena. Not saying that’s a bad think but I know some players have been taken aback by how direct and demanding he is.
Have heard the same - he seems to have come in and pushed a lot of players who were getting game time this time last year to the side (training only or loan) and brought in who he wants. I think a lot of the existing team as we know it will not be with us next season bar the new players. Hope it works - shame - they are good, just needed to play with a steady coaching team.

On another note I am appalled at the comments on facebook regarding Olowofela - he is a good player just not in the right club. Look at Tigers fan page on facebook to see. I'd love to see how many of those lovely people who have literally ripped him to pieces have played premiership rugby. :smt011 :smt011
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:09 pm
Have heard the same - he seems to have come in and pushed a lot of players who were getting game time this time last year to the side (training only or loan) and brought in who he wants. I think a lot of the existing team as we know it will not be with us next season bar the new players. Hope it works - shame - they are good, just needed to play with a steady coaching team.

On another note I am appalled at the comments on facebook regarding Olowofela - he is a good player just not in the right club. Look at Tigers fan page on facebook to see. I'd love to see how many of those lovely people who have literally ripped him to pieces have played premiership rugby. :smt011 :smt011
Calm down. Just because we haven’t played premiership rugby doesn’t mean we aren’t entitled to an opinion. Olowefia is too lightweight and averse to contact. His only asset is his speed
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I feel for Worth, Olowofela and White.
But at the same time would they start over the players being picked currently?

I certainly think whilst solid Worth is too slow, Olowofela is lacking in bulk and confidence and White has been ok but JVP has just looked that step or two above.