LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Do we think I need the 🍿🍿 this week?

I know the club said it wanted to sort out the loans last week, I'm optimistic that means they want to share incoming news soon too?!?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by kpj tiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:47 am Do we think I need the 🍿🍿 this week?

I know the club said it wanted to sort out the loans last week, I'm optimistic that means they want to share incoming news soon too?!?
Don't know about when but Van Staden is 100% signed from what I've heard
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:28 pm Maybe, it's more in a dream scenario than reality currently though.
Never say never though look at Mulipola.

If Bonilla or Henry goes and Saracens do get promoted I hope the club look at Craig Willis the Ealing 10, I was honestly impressed by Willis at Falcons
Not heard anything to back this up just my own thoughts but I reckon Bonilla might be offloaded. With Montoya a nailed on starter and Moroni likely to be first choice 13 it will make it difficult to fit him in to the side due to the overseas player rule. Henry seems to be getting the nod at the moment despite a few mixed performances and I reckon that's the reason.

If we signed Burns though that solves the problem :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:12 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:47 am Do we think I need the 🍿🍿 this week?

Now this I like.. I hope your sources are correct kpj I really do.. Liebenberg Van Staden Wiese really would be some back row :smt027
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:59 pm

Now this I like.. I hope your sources are correct kpj I really do.. Liebenberg Van Staden Wiese really would be some back row :smt027
Don’t forget Brink off the bench to give us some carrying. Would be very similar to how Bath used Fearns in the 14/15 season to give them some momentum in the last quarter.

Really hope Burns comes back too, missing some quality at 10 when Ford is gone.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:41 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:59 pm

Don’t forget Brink off the bench to give us some carrying. Would be very similar to how Bath used Fearns in the 14/15 season to give them some momentum in the last quarter.

Really hope Burns comes back too, missing some quality at 10 when Ford is gone.
And Reffell.. we would certainly be well stocked! :smt023
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Any other deals that you know are done KPJ?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:58 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:28 pm Maybe, it's more in a dream scenario than reality currently though.

If Bonilla or Henry goes and Saracens do get promoted I hope the club look at Craig Willis the Ealing 10, I was honestly impressed by Willis at Falcons
Not heard anything to back this up just my own thoughts but I reckon Bonilla might be offloaded. With Montoya a nailed on starter and Moroni likely to be first choice 13 it will make it difficult to fit him in to the side due to the overseas player rule. Henry seems to be getting the nod at the moment despite a few mixed performances and I reckon that's the reason.

Agree we either need to:

A) sign Burns (or equivalent) to replace Bonilla

B) have one of the overseas players obtain a 2nd passport, thus allowing Bonilla into the team.

Ok so B is probably less likely, but I know due to Covid Ireland aren't currently processing passport applications (except for exceptional circumstances, which getting dual citizenship is not probably) so it may be that one of the players has got an application for dual citizenship waiting for processing.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:01 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:58 pm

Agree we either need to:

A) sign Burns (or equivalent) to replace Bonilla

B) have one of the overseas players obtain a 2nd passport, thus allowing Bonilla into the team.

Ok so B is probably less likely, but I know due to Covid Ireland aren't currently processing passport applications (except for exceptional circumstances, which getting dual citizenship is not probably) so it may be that one of the players has got an application for dual citizenship waiting for processing.
Would be more than happy with either but A gets my vote :smt023
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

...'or equivalant' young prospect as a long term asset gets my vote. Pleeeeease not the Burns option!!!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Burns is regression not progression I believe we must look to the future not return to the past.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:23 pm Burns is regression not progression I believe we must look to the future not return to the past.
Bringing someone in as 2nd choice Fly half who used to be 1st choice previously, isn't regression. If we were bringing him back as our first choice 10 that would be regression, as it is we're aiming to improve the backup during international breaks which is very different
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:28 pm
sapajo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:23 pm Burns is regression not progression I believe we must look to the future not return to the past.
Bringing someone in as 2nd choice Fly half who used to be 1st choice previously, isn't regression. If we were bringing him back as our first choice 10 that would be regression, as it is we're aiming to improve the backup during international breaks which is very different
Agreed. It's a bit like Hodgson deputising for Farrell a few seasons back. We need a quality player who isn't going to get frustrated warming the bench when Ford is back but won't be called up for International duty. Happy if we can find someone elsewhere but Burns does seem to fit the bill for me. Clearly my first choice is that Henry develops into a world class 10 and stays on as our backup 10 but he's not there yet and we need someone soon if we are going to challenge at the highest level again..

Losing our 9 and 10 numerous times during the season has been an issue recently but now with more than adequate cover at 9 I just feel a quality 10 is needed to see us able to ride out the international windows without such a massive hole in the starting XV
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

If Burns is such "quality" why was he dropped by us first then Bath and now plying his trade in Japan :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:43 pm If Burns is such "quality" why was he dropped by us first then Bath and now plying his trade in Japan :smt017
I'd say because Bath were paying him equivalent cap for first choice fly half so needed to offload him so they could afford a first choice 10.