LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by Dangerous4 »

I think we need to be aware that the Covid situation will have been detrimental to most of our new players, and as such we need to make allowances before judging any too harshly.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by JP14 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:19 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:17 am Interesting comments on the Rugby Pod as Goodey believes that Blake Enever was brought in on Borthwick's insistence in the Summer. This to me suggests that SB thought he had found a Kruis like second-rower from which he could build our set-piece around before realising that Green is the better player for that, hence Enever's premature departure.
This doesn't make sense to me, everything out of the club seemed to be that we were targeting Alemanno as our international standard lock, but switched when the pandemic hit our finances and we went for a lesser known international lock who we could get cheaper...

EDIT I will add that it may have been that SB recommended Enever after Alemanno fell through, he may have watched him play for the Wallabies in his England role and suggested him as an alternative, very different to him insisting on him but can definitely see how the press could twist it to that...
Didn’t RB say that Alemanno was never actually in the pipeline though?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:48 am If Hamilton had said it I would believe it.
But Goode talks so much :censored:.
True, the pair of them talk :censored: but at least Jim doesn’t take himself too seriously, except when he does punditry of course (and does a pretty good job of it too). You know more than I do but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest that Goodey too has a source at the club...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:20 am Do we anticipate any more loanees going out, only other clubs that are maybe near enough would likely be Doncaster, Amptill or Bedford, but all of those are fair jaunts.

I also notice someone on Facebook saying that he'd like to see Sam Lewis work while at Cov on his backup position in the 2nd Row alongside Louis Deacon as we have some 2nd row departures.
Sam Lewis seems to be more of a flanker now than lock - talk on here earlier that he's perceived as too lanky and not physical enough to be in the team. I disagree. Hopefully his time at Coventry will give him the game time and development he needs. To my mind he should be given that time at Tigers. He is out of contract this year, not sure if he will be resigned - maybe the reason why he is on loan so he can be seen by other potential clubs? Looking through the comments on facebook most fans seem to think he should stay with the squad and that Coventry is to develop him for Tigers, I'm not so sure.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:08 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:20 am Do we anticipate any more loanees going out, only other clubs that are maybe near enough would likely be Doncaster, Amptill or Bedford, but all of those are fair jaunts.

I also notice someone on Facebook saying that he'd like to see Sam Lewis work while at Cov on his backup position in the 2nd Row alongside Louis Deacon as we have some 2nd row departures.
Sam Lewis seems to be more of a flanker now than lock - talk on here earlier that he's perceived as too lanky and not physical enough to be in the team. I disagree. Hopefully his time at Coventry will give him the game time and development he needs. To my mind he should be given that time at Tigers. He is out of contract this year, not sure if he will be resigned - maybe the reason why he is on loan so he can be seen by other potential clubs? Looking through the comments on facebook most fans seem to think he should stay with the squad and that Coventry is to develop him for Tigers, I'm not so sure.
See IMO with all prem clubs looking to develop players who aren't getting gametime, getting loanee's out to clubs is tricky, I don't think we'd waste a loan slot to use as a shop window to offload a player, when instead it can help develop and progress a player that we want to keep.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:01 am
Snoopydog68 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:08 pm

See IMO with all prem clubs looking to develop players who aren't getting gametime, getting loanee's out to clubs is tricky, I don't think we'd waste a loan slot to use as a shop window to offload a player, when instead it can help develop and progress a player that we want to keep.
I could see Borthwick looking at Lewis and wanting him to try and emulate Liebenburg. Liebenburg has a massive work rate, gets round the park and has been crucial to our lineout. We are currently using Martin to deputise at 6 but he's going to be playing increasing amounts at lock your have thought so having Lewis as an option would suit how we play. Borthwick might just want him to bulk up and get a bit more physical. Louis Deacon could be a good coaching mentor for that and the Championship should still be a tough league to learn from.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Definitely makes sense from a balance point of view, to make them almost plug and play for style.
6. Liebenberg & Lewis, two rangy players who provide additional lineout option and workrate.
7. Van Staden & Reffell, two combative breakdown merchants. Wallace also.
8. Wiesse & Brink, two big physical ball carriers.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would rather he went elsewhere than focus too much on building muscle.
Lewis has a real USP, he is like Croft or Tipuric you don't get many backrowers with that sort of speed.
I would rather he went to a team that would help develop that than focus too much on muscle.
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:11 am I would rather he went elsewhere than focus too much on building muscle.
Lewis has a real USP, he is like Croft or Tipuric you don't get many backrowers with that sort of speed.
I would rather he went to a team that would help develop that than focus too much on muscle.
Agree with you - don't bulk him up too much otherwise he'll lose his speed. I do hope he stays with Tigers though because my daughter thinks he's gorgeous and I might have to support another club if he goes!! :smt005 :smt005
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Leic Mercury and SB saying more ins and outs season on season (paraphrasing). However he sees we'll be at the top in two years. Therefore I think he has a plan of who HE wants. So with COVID and budgets it would be wise to give our future players game time to develop. I am sure there is a clause that should they be needed back in Tigers stripes they will be released. At least I hope so as absence through injury and Covid risk is a likely scenario.
I am aware SB is looking for balance and those that are not offering the right mix will depart. He is a man on a mission. I look forwards to the developing picture. :smt007
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

The Gallagher Premiership of 2021 asks for heavy, brutish, collision-winning forwards.

Sam Lewis is a very talented, skilful player. Unfortunately he's just not what most DoRs (including ours) are looking for.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Years ago on here, I suggested that Croft should have played as a Centre, as he was plenty fast enough.
I think Lewis might be considered in a similar vein.
Witnessing Tom Youngs make the transtition the opposite way makes it food for thought.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Agree with the above and I think any player with the potential to convert should be considered at centre before being let go.
The impression I get speaking to people is that the ability to maul in both directions is a must.
Going on the past few seasons that is an area where more control was needed that can bring a significant swing in points.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

With no "A" league or other "extra" tournaments, our squad players need match time, the younger players like Sam Lewis will gain from the Championship experience. He will be a future player that people will take note of, not seen such a talented player for some time in the forwards, the comparison with Tom Croft is quite accurate, not just speed, but awareness around the park.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Theres no reason why we can't deploy a player like Lewis at 6 if we continue going down the Chiefs route of playing a monster at 7.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer