LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by DeadlyDunc »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:39 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:12 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:06 pm It wouldn’t surprise me if Potter and Porter went back to Oz TBH

They aren’t really getting any game time and on arrival it sounded like they were Taylor’s recommendations.

If they go along with Worth, Olowefela, Hardwick, Aspland-Robinson etc then we’d be very light in the backs

Might be wrong of course and they are committed to the long term Borthwick plan but if they were Taylor’s players then chasing up and unders all afternoon probably doesn’t get their pulses racing too much.

It’d be a shame if they went, I’d rather they stayed as they’ve looked like they could be good prospects so I hope I am wrong
I disagree, I would be surprised if they left. I don't have any inside info but Porter has been selected regularly of late, and Potter is injured as far as I'm aware.
I agree with JP14 when the came they were both likely to know they weren't going to be first choice initially, they both took opportunities and moved up the pecking order and have enhanced their reputations, think they are much more likely to stay than Olowafela, Worth, Aspland Robinson and Williams who they're competing for places with.
I hope you are both right - I don’t mind being wrong and as I say I do hope they stay
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by fentiger »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:18 pm I keep hoping those moaning will grasp that SB is turning back the clock to when we were the nastiest kids on the block. No egos and lightweights need apply.
Indeed, quite likely that turning the clock back may lead to a brighter future :smt023
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

fentiger wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:42 am
jgriffin wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:18 pm I keep hoping those moaning will grasp that SB is turning back the clock to when we were the nastiest kids on the block. No egos and lightweights need apply.
Indeed, quite likely that turning the clock back may lead to a brighter future :smt023
Tigers developing a forwards based game and England playing (poor) 10 man rugby that Geoff Cooke would be proud of.
Back to the Future?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The prospect of an all South African 5-8 with the rumours around Schickerling coming doesn't sit well with me for two reasons. One, I don't like the fact that we are becoming part of the reason for the decline of South African club rugby. Two, I don't want our pack overly reliant on South Africans who could just all leave one day like Mostert & co leaving Gloucester.

I would rather target a second row replacement for Lavanini in France, someone like Konstantin Mikautadze who is currently at Bayonne.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

loretta wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:00 am
fentiger wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:42 am
Tigers developing a forwards based game and England playing (poor) 10 man rugby that Geoff Cooke would be proud of.
Back to the Future?
Exeter and Sale both play forward based rugby but they win more games than they lose
A2O
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Borthwick is rebuilding a disorientated squad and that starts with the forwards. Last week showed that unless we start with enough absolute defence wreckers (Montoya, Lavanini & Wiese) then we don't have forward momentum and a platform for the entire squad. Were Gigena and Enever in this category? i'm not so sure, either way a more pressing concern is a like for like replacement for Lavanini's strength and grit.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

JP14 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:13 am The prospect of an all South African 5-8 with the rumours around Schickerling coming doesn't sit well with me for two reasons. One, I don't like the fact that we are becoming part of the reason for the decline of South African club rugby. Two, I don't want our pack overly reliant on South Africans who could just all leave one day like Mostert & co leaving Gloucester.

I would rather target a second row replacement for Lavanini in France, someone like Konstantin Mikautadze who is currently at Bayonne.
I agree to some extent. I just hope that the young lads get plenty of oportinity to oust the imports, then we are not reliant on them.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Would love one of the London Irish Wingers! Ben Loader or Ollie Hassell-Collins. With one of them on one Wing and NN on the other would be a great blend of pace and power!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerMac3 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:30 am Would love one of the London Irish Wingers! Ben Loader or Ollie Hassell-Collins. With one of them on one Wing and NN on the other would be a great blend of pace and power!
Personally I think Van Wyk and Murimurivalu are both good players
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't feel like back 3 players currently should be looked at too much.

On South africans I think it was more down to them following Ackerman rather than just lot's of them at the club that caused the exodus.

Hopefully we try and loan out
Whitcombe (Maybe not now Gigena is gone)
Dimen
Manz
Lewis
Ilione
Lavin
Law
Kelly
Olowofela
Browning
Worth
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

nasher wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:48 pm Are we having a clear out or are some realising Tigers are not the club they thought it was or worse than that dissention among the players. I do not know what to make of it, but will save money.
Are the immediate releases a desperate attempt to get us within the salary cap before the end of the season?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:54 am
nasher wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:48 pm Are we having a clear out or are some realising Tigers are not the club they thought it was or worse than that dissention among the players. I do not know what to make of it, but will save money.
Are the immediate releases a desperate attempt to get us within the salary cap before the end of the season?
No two of the players were not getting any game time so what’s the point of keeping them and the other one went to France for more money and the fourth is going to France next season for the same reason
A2O
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:08 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:54 am
No two of the players were not getting any game time so what’s the point of keeping them and the other one went to France for more money and the fourth is going to France next season for the same reason
You missed my point, Immediate releases, not end of season.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

As far as I am aware the salary cap runs from season to season so assuming that we weren’t over the cap at the beginning of the season why would we be over it now :smt017
A2O