LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Whilst it’s not ideal to lose a player mid season like this, on top of already having lost Taufua, I can’t help but think will we really miss either given how much they’ve played to date. That sounds quite ruthless, I know, but in the current financial climate all clubs need to do what they can to survive.
South Africa seems the market of choice for most clubs lately, not just us. So possibility of a prop and lock being sourced from there soon seems quite likely, and would probably provide us with they type of forwards we need too.
With Enever there is probably less urgency to replace given how Henderson and Martin have performed when called upon, Chessum too. But at prop we are a little more down to the bare bones, so wouldn’t be unsurprised to see someone come in this season.
Looks like a largely O/S quota based decision. Are Australians under the same limits, understanding Potter and Porter are exempt due to English heritage, but is Enever in the same boat as Gigena in that he won’t be picked whilst we are maxed out on O/S players? Makes the SA market look even more likely.
I’m not against a solid core of South Africans to supplement out homegrown/academy raised talent, so long as the balance is right.
Best of luck to both players.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by ay2oh »

Hopefully there is enough cap to sign a big nasty lock for next season
A2O
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Am I right in recalling that when Jan McGinity was axed, the club announced that the contract negotiations and recruitment business for the next season was done?
With all the 'squad reshaping' that is going on, that now looks highly unlikely to be true.
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:26 pm "Looks like the big clear out is underway. They wouldn't have left unless they had contracts to go to. Can see next season being a squad full of South African/Argentinians and the old faithfuls - Youngs, Ford, Genge and Cole. "

You know 2 of the leavers are Argentines right?
Fully aware of that thanks! It just seems that the names being thrown around are all either SA/Argentian, No issue with that at all.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Still a bit of a worry unless development is providing OR we have a class LH in view, especially if Genge catches an injury.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:43 pm Wonder how many players will be off by the end of season?
People saying big clear-out, but so far only 4 players off (I expect it to be more obviously but I don't see it being another 20 players off).

Taufua - It was clear he was never going to stay past this season.
Lavanini - Also was looking at french clubs during the pay cut talks, to his credit though really playing his heart out even though he's off.
Enever - Expected behind 3 U21 locks.
Gigena - Shame, but don't think it's unexpected looking at how the squad changed since the pandemic.
I don't see too much further churn of players except for those out of favour with SB

So I expect

Kerr
Hardwick
Olowafela
Coghlan
Lewis

To go, possibly also

Aspland Robinson
Bower

I know Mamukashvili has been touted as another possible departure, but I think Montoya arriving actually increases his odds of staying, as given there's no issues having him on the bench when Montoya starts as an overseas berth has already been given to Montoya and so there's going to be one or other overseas Hooker on, not both.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:08 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:43 pm Wonder how many players will be off by the end of season?
People saying big clear-out, but so far only 4 players off (I expect it to be more obviously but I don't see it being another 20 players off).

Lavanini - Also was looking at french clubs during the pay cut talks, to his credit though really playing his heart out even though he's off.
Gigena - Shame, but don't think it's unexpected looking at how the squad changed since the pandemic.
I don't see too much further churn of players except for those out of favour with SB

So I expect

Kerr
Hardwick
Olowafela
Coghlan
Lewis

To go, possibly also

Aspland Robinson
Bower

I know Mamukashvili has been touted as another possible departure, but I think Montoya arriving actually increases his odds of staying, as given there's no issues having him on the bench when Montoya starts as an overseas berth has already been given to Montoya and so there's going to be one or other overseas Hooker on, not both.
I'd also add Worth into that mix
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Credit to Lavanini for putting in a good shift on Saturday and is still willing to put everything into the shirt from now until he leaves in June, just wish other players had done that in the past...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:24 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:08 pm

So I expect

Kerr
Hardwick
Olowafela
Coghlan
Lewis

To go, possibly also

Aspland Robinson
Bower

I'd also add Worth into that mix
Kerr, Olowafela, Aspland Robinson will still be in contract next season unless they can come to the same arrangement as others who have left. Hardwick - after last weeks social media posts I would assume he is not going to be involved going forward. Worth also will still be in contract next season.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It all feels like Russian roulette to me. :smt048
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/premiers ... at_sto8108

According to France's Midi Olympique, Enever and Gigena have been freed from their contracts and Enever is on his way back to Australia this week.

Edit: just seen this on the Tigers' webpage.
Semper in excretia
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:12 pm It all feels like Russian roulette to me. :smt048
Why? If players don’t want to be here (for a variety of reasons) and/or can’t get in the side then what’s the point in us wasting the cap and them waisting their time? What’s the club supposed to do?
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:54 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:12 pm It all feels like Russian roulette to me. :smt048
Why? If players don’t want to be here (for a variety of reasons) and/or can’t get in the side then what’s the point in us wasting the cap and them waisting their time? What’s the club supposed to do?
Especially with the cap reduction from 6.4m to 5m for next season, we literally can't afford to keep around every player in the squad. If they aren't really adding anything to the team they will have to go.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

With the players that have left since last summer I would imagine that we have cut quite a bit of the salary bill even allowing for the ones that have joined us. 👍
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:21 pm With the players that have left since last summer I would imagine that we have cut quite a bit of the salary bill even allowing for the ones that have joined us. 👍
Yep, should hopefully allow the likes of Van Staden to join mid season (a part of me is hoping he's tucked up in a hotel in Leicester serving his quarantine as we speak)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.