LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by ABClub »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:31 pm Rumours that Gigena heading for London Irish. Facundo is a decent player but nowhere near displacing Genge as first choice and is probably our third choice and is only able to play at loosehead so possibly not considered versatile enough for a non starter.
I am not sure why some people are not happy with Hayes, for me considering his age he is doing ever so well, not the finished article yet but is well worth his place in the squad and getting better all the time.
Joe is a very bright talent. He came back from lockdown looking noticeably lighter and showing up well round the park for it. His scrummaging needs consistency but that's true of pretty much all 21-year old props.

If Gigena goes then I'd really hope Tigers are targeting a player such as Simon McIntyre who is out of contract at Wasps or someone of similar quality.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:57 pm Gigena will be approaching the stage where the he could most likely go from a 3rd choice LH prop contract too a 1st/2nd choice contract elsewhere.

I'm 80% sure he's in contract next season anyway, so if he was too go it might be the overseas rule
Confirmed in July 2020 he signed a 4 year contract with Tigers.

He’s a solid loosehead who in my mind should be ahead of Leatigaga. Hope it’s not needless squad churn and the overseas rule is the reason. Still disappointing.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Looks like Gigena will be announced pretty soon. His girlfriend has posted on her Instagram that they are in the middle of moving house...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:36 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:57 pm Gigena will be approaching the stage where the he could most likely go from a 3rd choice LH prop contract too a 1st/2nd choice contract elsewhere.

I'm 80% sure he's in contract next season anyway, so if he was too go it might be the overseas rule

He’s a solid loosehead who in my mind should be ahead of Leatigaga. Hope it’s not needless squad churn and the overseas rule is the reason. Still disappointing.
I agree he is a much better Scrumager than Leatigaga and is IMO our 2nd choice behind Genge, so I do hope it's the overseas thing not a falling out.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I’d lose Gigena if it meant we were keeping De Bruin!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:47 pm I’d lose Gigena if it meant we were keeping De Bruin!
Simon Berghan has just been confirmed as moving from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Luan is his replacement at Edinburgh. Seems pretty unlikely they would let the deal slip with Berghan moving on.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:51 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:47 pm I’d lose Gigena if it meant we were keeping De Bruin!
Simon Berghan has just been confirmed as moving from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Luan is his replacement at Edinburgh. Seems pretty unlikely they would let the deal slip with Berghan moving on.
Thanks
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well it said here's to the next 4 years which could also suggest it being a 3 year contract with the current season being counted in it. (More likely).

That's assuming the contracts doesn't have any market clauses.
It's also potentially down to the about of pumas we have?

When Gigena signed that contract Moroni and Montoya hadn't been signed, neither Bonilla.
Maybe we hoped the kolpak situation might have been confirmed by now.
But if it is still going to remain the same as it is 2 players (? don't know if he is covered or not) then current;y we are wasting cap and Gigena isn't playing.
I like Gigena but I also wouldn't put him ahead of Moroni and Montoya.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:55 pm

Well it said here's to the next 4 years which could also suggest it being a 3 year contract with the current season being counted in it. (More likely).

That's assuming the contracts doesn't have any market clauses.
It's also potentially down to the about of pumas we have?

When Gigena signed that contract Moroni and Montoya hadn't been signed, neither Bonilla.
Maybe we hoped the kolpak situation might have been confirmed by now.
But if it is still going to remain the same as it is 2 players (? don't know if he is covered or not) then current;y we are wasting cap and Gigena isn't playing.
I like Gigena but I also wouldn't put him ahead of Moroni and Montoya.
I agree, Gigena has been a good player for us and I wish him the best at London Irish.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Club announce Enever and Gigena released from their contracts.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

Coops wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:18 am Club announce Enever and Gigena released from their contracts.
really not happy with gigenia going, just want us to have a solid base of players and not a constant merry-go round
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

The salary cap purge cometh.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Well, the Blake Enever experiment lasted a long time.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

tigercub21 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:20 am
Coops wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:18 am Club announce Enever and Gigena released from their contracts.
really not happy with gigenia going, just want us to have a solid base of players and not a constant merry-go round
Seems an odd one with Gigena, can only guess it’s purely down to the overseas player rules, especially because he had another 3 years left on his contract.

Not surprised with Enever, for whatever reason he hasn’t hit the ground running. Given Martin and Henderson coming through into the senior squad it’s the right decision.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Whilst I'm unhappy with the squad churn I'm trusting Borthwick knows what he's doing. That is to say, I don't know that it does, but we have trust him. At least there is no flannel and things on the pitch seem to be heading in the right direction.