LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:06 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:11 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:59 pm Danny Ciprani available should we need reserve Fly
Half options....would make a decent understudy to George Ford :smt001
Not until their are fans back in stadiums. He's not interested in rugby unless there are at least a few thousand people on hand to make him feel special.
should read this
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... break.html
I want to "take some time out and have some thinking space" but happy to talk about all these personal issues to any journalist who will listen and pay me.

And he does also state that one of the reasons for quitting was that there were no fans in the stadiums...
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by ABClub »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:36 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:06 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:11 pm

Not until their are fans back in stadiums. He's not interested in rugby unless there are at least a few thousand people on hand to make him feel special.
should read this
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... break.html
I want to "take some time out and have some thinking space" but happy to talk about all these personal issues to any journalist who will listen and pay me.

And he does also state that one of the reasons for quitting was that there were no fans in the stadiums...
That's a absurdly cynical response to an interview about a player losing a close one and his partner losing a child, Tiglon.

I'd be surprised if Cipriani was paid anything for that interview as well. It's hardly like he's giving them 'a scoop' by slagging someone off to boost viewership. Just a bloke who's had a tough year getting his side of story across amidst a fair bit of uninformed speculation of his motives due to his silence.

I'm not the guys biggest fan. I think he's a very good fly-half who lacked the consistency to challenge players picked ahead of him to be honest. I'd applaud him for speaking candidly about his dealings with grief though. Clearly it affected his form and the best thing for Cipriani was a break and for Gloucester to have that cap space to sign a player with his head in the right place - Hastings.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugby Paper saying that Marco Van Staden is 100% signed
Saw off Bayonne and Bordeaux
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

That is good news but I understand he didn't make his usual impact in the SA final
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I remember watching Liebenberg before he signed and being impressed with Van Staden
From the currie cup I did watch he certainly seemed like one of the stand out opensides in the league, the rugby press seem to rate him.
He did have a quiet game in the final yesterday though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H28aK8Z10CI

Interesting ages of the South African backrowers signed
Brink 27
Van Staden 25
Liebenberg 25
Wiese 25
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Is Shalva Mamukashvili still at the club? If not whats happened to him as I cannot recall him even playing a game????
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:31 pm Is Shalva Mamukashvili still at the club? If not whats happened to him as I cannot recall him even playing a game????
He’s currently on international duty with Georgia.

If I remember correctly he has made one appearance off the bench against Bristol away at the back end of last season.

He has had rough luck with a bit of an injury and then international duty disruption. Shame as I’d have liked to see him play more for us. Hope he has the chance when he gets back from Georgia duty
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

He is an excellent player.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

If Van Staden is a done deal then that is good news .....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Does the article state when he’s expected to arrive?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Would be a fantastic signing if true.. he’s an absolute beast! Huge player and Liebenberg Van Staden Wiese would be one hell of a back row! :smt027
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

I know it was shown on the Ruck so this could be a loose rumour, but I’m not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere - were we linked at one stage to Louis Lynagh?

Not sure if another back 3 players is needed but he had an assured game for Quins today. An exciting young player wherever he ends up - wouldn’t mind him in a Tigers shirt though!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:07 pm I know it was shown on the Ruck so this could be a loose rumour, but I’m not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere - were we linked at one stage to Louis Lynagh?

Not sure if another back 3 players is needed but he had an assured game for Quins today. An exciting young player wherever he ends up - wouldn’t mind him in a Tigers shirt though!
I think it was mentioned somewhere in the 100 or so pages in the last squad transfer section, so no worries about not picking it up, was also mentioned in The Rugby Paper so more likely to have some substance than many ruck rumours. Didn't see the game today but it sounds like we're looking at the right sort of players, pity he doesn't play his dad's position as a young fly half is near the top of most people's Tigers shopping list.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:34 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:07 pm I know it was shown on the Ruck so this could be a loose rumour, but I’m not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere - were we linked at one stage to Louis Lynagh?

I think it was mentioned somewhere in the 100 or so pages in the last squad transfer section, so no worries about not picking it up, was also mentioned in The Rugby Paper so more likely to have some substance than many ruck rumours. Didn't see the game today but it sounds like we're looking at the right sort of players, pity he doesn't play his dad's position as a young fly half is near the top of most people's Tigers shopping list.
Thanks for the clarification! At least The Rugby Paper usually have more substance as you say.

Agreed about the position shame! Would be nice to have someone with his dads skills!