Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:35 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:12 am Perhaps Ford is leaving................otherwise it would be an odd signing & not a great use of the Salary Cap.
Burns would be signed as backup to Ford. We also have Bonilla. Henry is apparently leaving at the end of the season.
From what I've seen there is one single rumour that says Henry might be off. Supposedly because we're looking at retaining Bonilla (who Henry at the moment appears ahead of in the pecking order)

Based on this I think odds are against Henry leaving. When he first signed he wasn't going to be 2nd choice at fly half. We first played him fullback his secondary position. At that time he was behind McPhillips & Hardwick. He's moved ahead of them and stayed 2nd choice when Bonilla arrived.

To my mind rumours of him leaving are just that, rumours. I suspect we'll see him in a Tigers shirt next season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I am not so sure freddy was/is as inconsistent as has been implied.
He bore a huge pressure when he as with us last to try and create something when there were few around him in the side who could do so.

I don’t think he wanted to leave.
Have him back like a shot.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

IF Ford goes and Freddie was being viewed as his replacement I would be extremely worried about the club's direction.

On paper IF there was any truth to us talking to Burns which to give the wail credit they are accurate surely it's more in line with Bonilla going?
All the Rugby paper said was that we had talks with Bonilla (Same paper said Bonilla was off to the Top 14 mind you).
Henry won't be on enough money to be considered straight trade in cap, so even if he did go which he might I don't see Burns being his replacement.
Bonilla was starting 10 for the Jaguares and was in a super rugby final in 2019. Even with the covid thing he will still be on what would be considered a decent wedge.

I wouldn't be surprised if Burns is looking for a prem team, he strikes me as a family man and with this whole Covid situation he might have decided that more stability closer to home might be better than minutes, I don't know.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

Henry is very medicore, and this is easily noticable by the standard of play we see when Ford comes on.

Those who rate Henry should look at how he runs the back line (he doesnt).

Mcphilips off
Got to keep the argentines together now for a friendship group.

1.Ford
2.Burns
3.Bonilla
4.Academy
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

SirGordonRamsey wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:07 pm Henry is very medicore, and this is easily noticable by the standard of play we see when Ford comes on.

Mcphilips off

1.Ford
2.Burns
3.Bonilla
4.Academy
No way Bonilla would stay as 3rd choice. And why on earth would we want to spend so much cap on 3 international fly halves?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ford plays 80 minutes so will Freddie be happy sharing half a season with Bonilla/Henry? Will he be too expensive for a back up 10? I wouldn’t want him at 15 hampering Stewards progress either
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:26 pm
SirGordonRamsey wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:07 pm Henry is very medicore, and this is easily noticable by the standard of play we see when Ford comes on.

Mcphilips off

1.Ford
2.Burns
3.Bonilla
4.Academy
No way Bonilla would stay as 3rd choice. And why on earth would we want to spend so much cap on 3 international fly halves?
This!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It does seem like the support for Henry is built off the displays at the end of last season, when he put in some eye-catching footwork/open play but this was facilitated by the fact we were 1000 points down by half time and there was zero pressure if it worked or not.

Bonilla has the better pedigree, and IMO is the best long term bet. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Bonilla is 32 by the end of this season, so I wouldn't say he's a wonderful long term bet - I agree we haven't seen the best of him yet though.

I'd be happy with Henry as number 2, but he's never going to be fighting Ford for the lead role. Burns would be an upgrade on Henry but for how much money?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Do we really think Henry is going to improve significantly at his age?
He's already 26 so not a development project. Yes he may improve a bit, but way off the standard of a premiership starter. Perhaps the bench when Ford is on England duty or those above him are injured.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Mcphilips off

1.Ford
2.Burns
3.Bonilla
4.Academy
I think the judgement of Henry is harsh as obviously doesn’t have nearly the same experience as the 3 international 10s you’re comparing him to. Also he provides a different style of play to other 10s we’ve got, he won’t be on much money and a lot more time than players like Bonilla to grow into the squad so we have more consistency throughout the squad over the years.

All winning premiership sides have a strong core of players in there squad that usually don’t go away for internationals and play most of the season and I feel like Henry amongst others could do that for us over the next few years at 10.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

mol2 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:08 pm Do we really think Henry is going to improve significantly at his age?
He's already 26 so not a development project. Yes he may improve a bit, but way off the standard of a premiership starter. Perhaps the bench when Ford is on England duty or those above him are injured.
I think he may not improve a lot more but he doesn’t have the same experience at this level unlike our other 2 internationals 10s. So I think he needs to settle at this level more.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

wellstiger wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:37 am Where would that leave Zac Henry who has looked good. Not discounting fluffing his try scoring opportunity.?
Didn't Freddie Burns fluff a try when the ball was knocked from his hand behind the posts, procrastinating not putting the ball down. Freddie was a great Tiger here and was very annoyed to be "horse traded in " by SC but hoping those days are behind us.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Really liked Freddie but it would be a backward step and for me Zac Henry has shown what he can do. If Ford ( and I hope he isn’t leaving) then surely Marcus Smith would be the one to go for. It has been rumoured by some at Quins that he got on very well with Gustard and now might want to move! I’m not sure if that’s true or not,
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:43 pm Bonilla is 32 by the end of this season, so I wouldn't say he's a wonderful long term bet - I agree we haven't seen the best of him yet though.

I'd be happy with Henry as number 2, but he's never going to be fighting Ford for the lead role. Burns would be an upgrade on Henry but for how much money?
I meant more that he's likely to show his class consistently over a whole season or 2, once he settles, rather than he'll be here for a few years and we can build around him! He's definitely no spring chicken!