Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
Tiglon
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2592
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by Tiglon » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 am

Sounds like a good move for you wellstiger :smt023

Some saying we should develop our young players instead of signing Burns, could someone please inform me the name of our talented young mystery fly half who will get less game time if Burns joins? Nope, because we have literally zero young fly halves anywhere near the first team.

Why won't anyone think of the kids?! Well, because there aren't any...

DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by DingDong » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:45 am

Tiglon wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 am
Sounds like a good move for you wellstiger :smt023

Some saying we should develop our young players instead of signing Burns, could someone please inform me the name of our talented young mystery fly half who will get less game time if Burns joins? Nope, because we have literally zero young fly halves anywhere near the first team.

Why won't anyone think of the kids?! Well, because there aren't any...
I'm with you re wellstiger, sounds a bold move at 66, hope he knows there's no shoeing at the rucks anymore!

However not with you re FH options. Whether its a current Dev/Academy player or one we bring in, it has to be a youngster for the long term. Umaga is a good case in question, backed to the hilt whatever the result and supported by Gopperth/Sopoaga, still young and not yet the finished article and a very good FH whatever the critics on here say. We don't need a patch up, we need a rebuild.

Tiglon
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2592
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by Tiglon » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:04 am

DingDong wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:45 am
Tiglon wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 am
Sounds like a good move for you wellstiger :smt023

Some saying we should develop our young players instead of signing Burns, could someone please inform me the name of our talented young mystery fly half who will get less game time if Burns joins? Nope, because we have literally zero young fly halves anywhere near the first team.

Why won't anyone think of the kids?! Well, because there aren't any...
I'm with you re wellstiger, sounds a bold move at 66, hope he knows there's no shoeing at the rucks anymore!

However not with you re FH options. Whether its a current Dev/Academy player or one we bring in, it has to be a youngster for the long term. Umaga is a good case in question, backed to the hilt whatever the result and supported by Gopperth/Sopoaga, still young and not yet the finished article and a very good FH whatever the critics on here say. We don't need a patch up, we need a rebuild.
Surely refs will make an exception for a 66 year old?

Agree with you re fly halves. But we don't have a young fly half ready to bring into the first team, and who are we going to sign as a young 2nd/3rd choice fly half? It's like when everyone says "why don't we just sign half a dozen Pacific Islanders who are 24 stone and can run 100m in 10 seconds?" - great idea in theory, but if there aren't any within our financial reach who would be interested then it's just not possible. It's a nice fairytale to keep trotting out, but Tigers have to operate in the real world in which there are perhaps not any 19 year old future superstar fly halves begging to join Tigers for nowt more than a bag of peanuts and half a pint of Heineken after each European match.

Obviously I got a bit carried away there, but the point stands - you can only choose from the players that it's actually possible to sign.

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4064
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by strawclearer » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:14 am

Tiglon wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 am
Sounds like a good move for you wellstiger :smt023

Some saying we should develop our young players instead of signing Burns, could someone please inform me the name of our talented young mystery fly half who will get less game time if Burns joins? Nope, because we have literally zero young fly halves anywhere near the first team.

Why won't anyone think of the kids?! Well, because there aren't any...
We have a Costelow-sized gap in the squad unfortunately.

As for Wellstiger - at 66 it would be better to be on the wing in terms of proximity to medical services and the toilets. A flyhalf spends too much time in the centre of the pitch to be comfortable.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives

ay2oh
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:53 am
Location: leicester

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by ay2oh » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:29 am

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who visit this board who don’t live in the real world. In their eyes every player we have let go I.e. Umaga, Odogwu, et al are superstars who we should have kept regardless of their attitude towards hard work and wage demands. To these people everything is black and white with no grey areas. Everyone we sign are c*** and everyone other teams sign are brilliant.
Tigers have developed plenty of international quality players over the years and the potential in the Academy at present is as good as it has been for many years although it does seem that the majority of the best prospects are forwards rather than backs.
I believe that Borthwick is the right man for the job and if we are patient he will get us in the top half of the table within the next couple of years
A2O

DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by DingDong » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:37 am

Tiglon wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:04 am
O - you can only choose from the players that it's actually possible to sign.
Spot on, agree finding them is the issue but that's the priority for those that know ie club scouts, various Tigers player development programmes, agents, team managers, head of recruitment(?) etc. Prospects are always out there and don't have to be home grown, then reshuffling like any business there's always a budget when needed even in these covid times.

Old Hob
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2509
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by Old Hob » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:50 am

Wigglesworth 9, Burns 10, Austin Healey 11, Pat Howard 12, Matt Smith 13, Wellstiger 14, Dusty Hare 15 ? A blend of youth and experience
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina

chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:18 am
Location: Leicestershire, UK

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by chipnchase » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:58 am

Lets be realistic here...

If Ford goes that would free up a hell of a lot of cap, question is where would he go in the Prem (he wouldn't move abroad as that would put him out of the England frame), Also who would he go to in the Top 4 that would see him challenging

Bristol: Got Sheedy who has broken into the Welsh squad, could move back over the severn bridge at some point but not likely in the next season or two. Also doubtful that they'd have the cap space or desire to bring in another high earning England international theyd only see half the season. Style also doesnt really fit what Lamb is trying to play.

Exeter: MBE... So no chance.
Bristol: Already have Sheedy and I dont see him fitting the style that Lamb is trying to play.
Sale: Northern links, chance to play with De Klerk week in week out. Would be a good addition.
Wasps: Already have a great talent in Umanga, not sure they're style would fit Ford.

The rest of the pack really would be a side ways move or a backwards step.

Henry has had some very solid performances, Great utility option covering 10 and 15. Reminds me a lot of Billy Tweelvetrees and I can see him moving into 12 at some point. Wouldn't be on a massive wedge, easily our second best fly half option and also English qualified so unless he's had a massive fall out with Borthwick I don't see why he would be going anywhere.

Bonilla for me has a great CV but I haven't seen anything from him yet that suggests a quality internationally capped player. Also hasn't featured heavily since arriving, be interesting to see in the coming weeks who gets the nod in the 10 shirt whilst For is away.

So if Bonilla was to leave at the end of the season I think Burns would be a great shout. Similar wage demands, knows the club, hard worker, runs a backline well and would be a good roll model for some of the younger lads around the squad.

anz3001
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by anz3001 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:36 pm

As much as anything, I don’t want any suggestion of it being true, but I simply can’t see that Ford is going anywhere.

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4732
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by Scott1 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:46 pm

anz3001 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:36 pm
As much as anything, I don’t want any suggestion of it being true, but I simply can’t see that Ford is going anywhere.
Unless his Dad is off and he spits his dummy out!

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2275
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:53 am
Location: Barrowford, near the Witches

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:48 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:46 pm
anz3001 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:36 pm
As much as anything, I don’t want any suggestion of it being true, but I simply can’t see that Ford is going anywhere.
Unless his Dad is off and he spits his dummy out!
Missed the word again from that sentence....
To win is not as important as playing with style!

anz3001
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by anz3001 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:24 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:46 pm
anz3001 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:36 pm
As much as anything, I don’t want any suggestion of it being true, but I simply can’t see that Ford is going anywhere.
Unless his Dad is off and he spits his dummy out!
Despite many fans being quite vocal in their dislike for him, he’s doing alright as a dedicated defence coach, so not sure there’s any reason to assume his dad is going anywhere either.

Dokie
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:25 am

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by Dokie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:49 pm

Tiglon wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 am
Sounds like a good move for you wellstiger :smt023

Some saying we should develop our young players instead of signing Burns, could someone please inform me the name of our talented young mystery fly half who will get less game time if Burns joins? Nope, because we have literally zero young fly halves anywhere near the first team.

Why won't anyone think of the kids?! Well, because there aren't any...
Apologies for missing ‘er’ from the end of young.
An earlier post suggested he could cover 10 & 15 Specifically I was referring to Henry and Steward. The last thing we want in the back line is another steady Eddie.

Tiglon
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2592
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by Tiglon » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:00 pm

Dokie wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:49 pm
Tiglon wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 am
Sounds like a good move for you wellstiger :smt023

Some saying we should develop our young players instead of signing Burns, could someone please inform me the name of our talented young mystery fly half who will get less game time if Burns joins? Nope, because we have literally zero young fly halves anywhere near the first team.

Why won't anyone think of the kids?! Well, because there aren't any...
Apologies for missing ‘er’ from the end of young.
An earlier post suggested he could cover 10 & 15 Specifically I was referring to Henry and Steward. The last thing we want in the back line is another steady Eddie.
Appreciate your point, but it's not as obvious a decision as you claim. Burns is a better player than Henry - do you go for a 7/10 who's 30ish or a 6/10 who's 26 and might get better?

Personally I don't believe Burns will be coming back, I can't imagine a selection and wage scenario that works for both him and the club.

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by Cardiff Tig » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:01 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:46 pm
anz3001 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:36 pm
As much as anything, I don’t want any suggestion of it being true, but I simply can’t see that Ford is going anywhere.
Unless his Dad is off and he spits his dummy out!
To be fair, most people thought that Ford Senior was treated like dirt by Bruce Craig in sacking him when he did. It's not like Bath have been successful since.

Most people wouldn't hang around if a family member was treated that way by the company they worked for.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jacko27 and 2 guests