Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by ourla »

Tigers need to bring a halt to this constant merry-go-round if we want to be successful.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It is just a rumour.

I can't see that we have a need for him at the moment and I would much rather we continue to develop some of the young talent unless we get a serious injury or two.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Seeing how we go against Sale without our England contingent will be helpful to this debate.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Agreed but our second string halfbacks have done well in the recent past.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

DingDong wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:09 pm Freddie is a good player, but why is he at a 2nd tier semi-pro Japanese side sitting round all morning waiting for half his team mates to finish work at the Toyota factory so he can train? Strange career choice even if the money were half decent.

Would I have him back? - no - Tigers need to back a youngster for the sake of continuity in the rebuild. For first and second choice regulars Chiefs have 24 & 23yr olds, Bears have 25 & 23yr olds for a good reason, they're investing in a permanent future at the top.

Despite Fordy at 27 with plenty of years in him, we need to be bringing on the next playmaker sooner rather than later, Freddie at 30 is not the future!
+1 :smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I thought we had moved on from re-signing Ex Tigers players...............
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Burns at 30 potentially has 4/5 more seasons as an experienced and effective premiership 10/15, who will have no international call ups, and won’t contribute to a match count of overseas players.

He left because Bath wanted him more than we did, not because we didn’t want him. While Freddie might bear a grudge most of those in charge have gone. If he’s unhappy in Japan, I could imagine a good conversation could take place between him and Borthwick.

Personally I’d be delighted to see him back. Alternatively if he is only touting Tigers to leverage other offers I wouldn’t begrudge him at all.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

teds wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:20 pm Burns at 30 potentially has 4/5 more seasons as an experienced and effective premiership 10/15, who will have no international call ups, and won’t contribute to a match count of overseas players.

He left because Bath wanted him more than we did, not because we didn’t want him. While Freddie might bear a grudge most of those in charge have gone. If he’s unhappy in Japan, I could imagine a good conversation could take place between him and Borthwick.

Personally I’d be delighted to see him back. Alternatively if he is only touting Tigers to leverage other offers I wouldn’t begrudge him at all.
Do we want a steadying hand to move us around the pitch or would it be better to develop the younger talent we have, who will also provide a more attacking threat with ball in hand that an ageing Freddie won’t.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Dokie wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:32 pm
teds wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:20 pm Burns at 30 potentially has 4/5 more seasons as an experienced and effective premiership 10/15, who will have no international call ups, and won’t contribute to a match count of overseas players.

Do we want a steadying hand to move us around the pitch or would it be better to develop the younger talent we have, who will also provide a more attacking threat with ball in hand that an ageing Freddie won’t.
If it’s Freddie and Henry that backup Ford we get both.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I think we may also be forgetting that at 9 it may well be Wigglesworth.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:09 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:56 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:28 pm Yes Ford,Burns,Henry makes way more sense than Ford,Burns,Bonilla
Agreed but apparently Henry is off at the end of the season and a new contract is being discussed with Bonilla, so most likely it will be Ford, Burns and Bonilla, if Burns were to re-join.
Madness if that were the case. Like I said Ford plays 80 when he’s with us and Burns or an Arg international won’t be happy sitting on the bench for half a season and not even involved for the other half! There’s no need to complicate things even further in your backs by having your second and third choice FH sharing possibly half a season. Burns and Bonilla are too good to be third choice FH,one or the other for me.
However, baring in mind how long people have been moaning about lack of quality, having 3 fly halves of that standard is a good thing isn’t it?!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Why would he need to be unhappy in Japan? The opportunity to come back to a Premiership club would probably be enough to move from a Japanese team who have just been promoted to the top league.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:01 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:09 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:56 pm

Agreed but apparently Henry is off at the end of the season and a new contract is being discussed with Bonilla, so most likely it will be Ford, Burns and Bonilla, if Burns were to re-join.
Madness if that were the case. Like I said Ford plays 80 when he’s with us and Burns or an Arg international won’t be happy sitting on the bench for half a season and not even involved for the other half! There’s no need to complicate things even further in your backs by having your second and third choice FH sharing possibly half a season. Burns and Bonilla are too good to be third choice FH,one or the other for me.
However, baring in mind how long people have been moaning about lack of quality, having 3 fly halves of that standard is a good thing isn’t it?!
Never said it wasn’t
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

anz3001 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:56 pm
Dokie wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:32 pm

If it’s Freddie and Henry that backup Ford we get both.
People rightly bemoan the lack of a midfield attacking threat on here. If we buy another 10, it should be a player who offers us something different.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I talk to Pat Lam - in press talk. does this mean I'm off to Bears and at 66 yrs of age.? :smt015