Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Freddie Burns coming back to Tigers?

Post by anz3001 »

Don’t think it’s at all likely Ford is off.
I like Henry, yes, he can improve at 26 too. Bonilla, haven’t seen his best. Was he ever a long term option, I’m not sure.
I think Burns would come back to play second fiddle to Ford. Fords away a lot so should be plenty of game time.

Ford, Burns, Henry seems more likely than Ford, Bonilla, Burns.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suspect Bonilla is/was a short term signing. Will want to be the starter which isn't the case with Ford here.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

mol2 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:55 pm I suspect Bonilla is/was a short term signing. Will want to be the starter which isn't the case with Ford here.
Will be interesting to see who gets the nod at 10 during the 6N with Ford away. Might that give us a clue?! Just a thought
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

In the MoS it says that Jordan Taufua is off to Lyon possibly before the end of the season, IMO that is a big loss and a disappointment.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes Ford,Burns,Henry makes way more sense than Ford,Burns,Bonilla
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:28 pm Yes Ford,Burns,Henry makes way more sense than Ford,Burns,Bonilla
Agreed but apparently Henry is off at the end of the season and a new contract is being discussed with Bonilla, so most likely it will be Ford, Burns and Bonilla, if Burns were to re-join.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:56 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:28 pm Yes Ford,Burns,Henry makes way more sense than Ford,Burns,Bonilla
Agreed but apparently Henry is off at the end of the season and a new contract is being discussed with Bonilla, so most likely it will be Ford, Burns and Bonilla, if Burns were to re-join.
Madness if that were the case. Like I said Ford plays 80 when he’s with us and Burns or an Arg international won’t be happy sitting on the bench for half a season and not even involved for the other half! There’s no need to complicate things even further in your backs by having your second and third choice FH sharing possibly half a season. Burns and Bonilla are too good to be third choice FH,one or the other for me.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I’m struggling to think of anyone who would have that quality and potential salary of 3 10s. Only one that springs to mind is Wasps with Soapy,Gopparth and Umaga but the latter two both play 12 too. Of course if Steward gets England recognition very soon and Muri is away then Burns plays FB and Borths looks like a genius haha. Let’s see what happens!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Pretty vague rumour with Henry allegedly unhappy at Bonilla being offered a new deal and Henry wanting game time. As Henry is the established second choice currently I can't see him being that annoyed at having Bonilla sign a new deal. I'd also be surprised if Henry only signed a one year deal.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:17 pm In the MoS it says that Jordan Taufua is off to Lyon possibly before the end of the season, IMO that is a big loss and a disappointment.
Perhaps with Montoya arriving early we need to trim the payroll?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wonder if it is agent talk? Burns wants to come back to the UK so he gets his agent to tell the Mail Tigers are in talks with him to boost any offers he's got from other clubs or by letting clubs know he's in the market to attract some genuine offers?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:29 am Wonder if it is agent talk? Burns wants to come back to the UK so he gets his agent to tell the Mail Tigers are in talks with him to boost any offers he's got from other clubs or by letting clubs know he's in the market to attract some genuine offers?
Very possible
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:52 am
Pretty vague rumour with Henry allegedly unhappy at Bonilla being offered a new deal and Henry wanting game time. As Henry is the established second choice currently I can't see him being that annoyed at having Bonilla sign a new deal. I'd also be surprised if Henry only signed a one year deal.
Sounds like so much hot air, to me. Henry has had lots of game time since he arrived and continues to impress, with the odd brain-fart to act as a reality check. He came from ProD2 to a premiership club, quite a step up and if Burns were to replace Bonilla, Henry would have a steadying hand while he develops. Ford 1, Burns and Henry sharing 2 & 3, Burns dropping back over the next couple of years if Henry improves.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:29 am Wonder if it is agent talk? Burns wants to come back to the UK so he gets his agent to tell the Mail Tigers are in talks with him to boost any offers he's got from other clubs or by letting clubs know he's in the market to attract some genuine offers?
Any and every rumour could just be agent talk, and many media outlets are happy to run with anything for a headline. However, DM are usually very accurate which would make me assume they have a means of filtering the agent :censored:.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Freddie is a good player, but why is he at a 2nd tier semi-pro Japanese side sitting round all morning waiting for half his team mates to finish work at the Toyota factory so he can train? Strange career choice even if the money were half decent.

Would I have him back? - no - Tigers need to back a youngster for the sake of continuity in the rebuild. For first and second choice regulars Chiefs have 24 & 23yr olds, Bears have 25 & 23yr olds for a good reason, they're investing in a permanent future at the top.

Despite Fordy at 27 with plenty of years in him, we need to be bringing on the next playmaker sooner rather than later, Freddie at 30 is not the future!