Paolo Odogwu

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paolo Odogwu

Post by Ian Cant »

Paolo Odogwu always impressed me in the few games he played for us and thoroughly deserves his call up. As a youngster with us he produced a couple of excellent turn overs and had the strength of Manu but also had(has) a side step off each foot!Hope he gets a chance to impress at the next level.
I’d also have thought Eddie ought to let players In the squad play next week end to get some match fitness as those, like our lads, who didn’t play in the last round of Premiership games will surely need some game time before entering the 6 Nations!!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Paolo Odogwu

Post by jgriffin »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:29 am Paolo Odogwu always impressed me in the few games he played for us and thoroughly deserves his call up. As a youngster with us he produced a couple of excellent turn overs and had the strength of Manu but also had(has) a side step off each foot!Hope he gets a chance to impress at the next level.
I’d also have thought Eddie ought to let players In the squad play next week end to get some match fitness as those, like our lads, who didn’t play in the last round of Premiership games will surely need some game time before entering the 6 Nations!!
Don't think it was his prowess that was in doubt, why he left.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:40 am
Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:29 am Paolo Odogwu always impressed me in the few games he played for us and thoroughly deserves his call up. As a youngster with us he produced a couple of excellent turn overs and had the strength of Manu but also had(has) a side step off each foot!Hope he gets a chance to impress at the next level.
Heard that he had a real attitude problem same as Umaga
A2O
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

https://www.thexv.rugby/2021/01/14/esca ... aitjacket/

Really good article about Odogwu, although interesting for me not much comment on why things didn't go for him at Sale.

I do personally feel like in rugby there's is this subconscious tendency to comment on a POC's power or pace rather than his/her skill (and it's happened on this forum too) which does need to change and I hope our own Zack Henry at flyhalf contributes to said change in attitudes.

I'm also a big supporter of individualism in rugby and having a character, the article is right rugby has lacked a global superstar that has transcended the sport since the retirement of the late Jonah Lomu, but at the same time we don't need football mannerisms coming into the game. I believe you can still do a little try celebration and not disrespect the ref. As for Odogwu's reaction after his red card versus Sale, I guess if laughing it off was the only way to contain his anger than that is fine but his reaction was still poor in my view on that occasion.

Which brings us to his departure from Leicester in 2016. Was it the club suppressing his individualism that meant he had to go, does Tigers still have a problem with this? Arguably with Genge no but again you have to find the balance between wanting to express your true self as well as being part of the team and giving your all to that effort. Whatever the case, I'm glad he's finally settled at Wasps and is now living up to his potential.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I hope that he does well with England, but I'm suspicious as to whether Jones is just trying to prevent Odogwu from playing for Italy...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:32 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:40 am
Heard that he had a real attitude problem same as Umaga
I heard rumours that Odogwu had a bit of an attitude problem. Turned up late for training and expected more game time. Probably a bit of youthful exuberance combined with ambition. Cockers hasn't exactly got a reputation for being touchy feely give the players a hug type of coach.

Umaga was allegedly offered a first team level contract by Wasps that Tigers refused to match.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:20 pm I hope that he does well with England, but I'm suspicious as to whether Jones is just trying to prevent Odogwu from playing for Italy...
That had crossed my mind too
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Good luck to the lad, he's got skills.
The suggestion that some youngsters might possess less than the desired attitude never fails to make me laugh.
I've seen 14 year olds discarded for not fitting in.
It's just an excuse to play politics in selection.
They are young and still developing and are not all robots.
Youngster makes mistakes, whatever next!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

What's done is done, but perhaps our experience with Odogwu will mean that in future Tigers will be more patient/take a different approach to academy players.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:43 pm What's done is done, but perhaps our experience with Odogwu will mean that in future Tigers will be more patient/take a different approach to academy players.
Or, perhaps he wouldn't have matured if Tigers had kept and indulged him? Maybe he'd still be turning up late to training etc and not reaching his potential.

Without knowing the man, it's impossible to say.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Thank goodness Deano put up with Austin Healey’s “ attitude” or we wouldn’t have won in Paris v Stade! I know it’s a team game but Healy certainly turned a lot of games in our favour by having an attitude of never giving up and always looking for something to happen. Genge too had an attitude but look at the great player he is becoming!
Good luck Paolo and I for one thoroughly enjoy watching you play but hope you have an off day against us! Another player with attitude was Varndell and I got fed up of going down to Wasps where he scored many tries against us.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:29 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:43 pm What's done is done, but perhaps our experience with Odogwu will mean that in future Tigers will be more patient/take a different approach to academy players.
Or, perhaps he wouldn't have matured if Tigers had kept and indulged him? Maybe he'd still be turning up late to training etc and not reaching his potential.

Or perhaps the training wasn't great and about indulging some little bald bloke and if you couldn't do that then you may as well say goodbye.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

There are many different kinds of attitude, I doubt Healey, Varndell and Odogwu all have the same attitude. Putting up with Healey having a big mouth is not the same as putting up with someone else being late for training on a regular basis, is it?

Perhaps the training was the problem and not Odogwu, I honestly have no idea.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:29 pm

Agreed we don’t know, but it won’t stop others on here passing judgement.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

"I do personally feel like in rugby there's is this subconscious tendency to comment on a POC's power or pace rather than his/her skill (and it's happened on this forum too) which does need to change and I hope our own Zack Henry at flyhalf contributes to said change in attitudes."

What's a poc?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina