jgriffin
Super User
Super User

A lesson from football?

Post by jgriffin »

Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: A lesson from football?

Post by mol2 »

I am a fan of the video ref. A match decided by a forward pass, trip or a foot in touch is infuriating if your side loses.

There is scope for improvement- forward passed could be simplified with sensors in the ball. (Gets rid of the angle of the hands guff) Could be checked whilst the players are readying for the conversion.

Foul play can be checked whist the game continues. If clear video ref then calls on field ref who decides whether to stop play to take action or at the next breakdown or do nothing.

These things could reduce the interruptions.

It’s never going to be perfect but the level of gamesmanship has made it essential, particularly these days when self policing by the second rows is frowned upon.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:17 pm I am a fan of the video ref. A match decided by a forward pass, trip or a foot in touch is infuriating if your side loses.

There is scope for improvement- forward passed could be simplified with sensors in the ball. (Gets rid of the angle of the hands guff) Could be checked whilst the players are readying for the conversion.

Foul play can be checked whist the game continues. If clear video ref then calls on field ref who decides whether to stop play to take action or at the next breakdown or do nothing.

These things could reduce the interruptions.

It’s never going to be perfect but the level of gamesmanship has made it essential, particularly these days when self policing by the second rows is frowned upon.
I also think once the TMO gets real time GPS locations from the players things like offside can be consistently called in real time without endless replays can certainly allow things to be refined and work faster so interupt the game less.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Managers, players and fans moan now.
Managers, players and fans moaned before.
No doubt that technology has reduced errors.
Problems are differing interpretations of laws.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:50 pm Managers, players and fans moan now.
Managers, players and fans moaned before.
No doubt that technology has reduced errors.
Problems are differing interpretations of laws.
Yep.