Sale game moved - Teams up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Sale game moved - Teams up

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:46 am With Murphy in charge I had no idea what our game plan was.

With Borthwick it's crystal clear and it bores me to tears.
:smt023
To win is not as important as playing with style!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:55 am
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:46 am With Murphy in charge I had no idea what our game plan was.

If you expected SB (or even Harry Potter) to come in, wave a magic wand and transform us overnight into a free flowing exciting attacking team that is competing at the top of the table then I’m afraid you were mistaken. It takes time. Tighten the defence first, work on fitness, set pieces, grit, team spirit, make players have to earn the shirt. Exeter perhaps aren’t the most exciting team to watch but they are one of the best in Europe at what they do, and they win, a lot! It took them plenty of time to develop a robust game plan and strategy that they have used as an incredible foundation to build their recent success on. Why do you expect things to be different for us or SB?

We lose, people moan; we play boring rugby people moan; we try something different and give some youngsters a go, people moan; we rotate the squad, people moan; we play boring rugby but show improvement and start to win a few games... people moan. Have faith, have patience and give it time. It might not be pretty but a path is built one stone at a time!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Super User
Super User

But we actually look better trying to play some rugby, that's the annoying thing, constantly hoofing the ball doesn't look good or necessarily lead to better results.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Just my opinion - teams that only defend and have no attack (varied attack ) do not win games.
We seriously need a "World class" attack coach and quickly.
We have the players to at least offer some attacking prowess. Kick chase works in the playground at school, it doesn't offer a threat in professional rugby. Drop the dead donkey.
If the SB plan is to limit the damage on the score bard then he has ticked the box. Can we get back to attacking threat please.
Playing well for 60+ mins does not convert to points advantage.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:27 am But we actually look better trying to play some rugby, that's the annoying thing, constantly hoofing the ball doesn't look good or necessarily lead to better results.
That I definitely do agree with. It does frustrate me but I’m trying to have faith that SB knows what he’s doing and that it’s all for the greater good. But yes, I definitely do prefer watching interesting rugby rather than death by badly executed box kicks!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:27 am But we actually look better trying to play some rugby, that's the annoying thing, constantly hoofing the ball doesn't look good or necessarily lead to better results.
Leicester do look decent when they try to play but a team and especially a new team can't keep up that intensity for an entire 80 minutes.
This is the top level and it requires time to develop.
If you're pushing hard then this naturally means that mistakes will sometimes happen, players are clearly pushing hard and this is a big positive.
Coaches will also be looking for player development which requires exposure.
If you play constantly on script or in fear of mistakes then you learn less.
There is stuff to learn and develop and that's where we are.
They aren't doing too bad and in my opinion there are good signs.
We are no longer being totally bossed as we were.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I disagree that we lost the forwards battle, the commentator suggested Cobus had got the edge on his brother Jasper, when really all the former had done was score a try from a few inches out and collect throws in the lineout that were bent for the entire game, not just the one Tempest flagged up. Coupled with the fact that J. Wiese (who I thought carried really in the circumstances) hadn't made a 50 yard break the commentator declared that he had lost out to the younger brother which didn't make sense to me.

Overall the forwards battle was nip-and-tuck, both packs scrummed and mauled well, whilst both defences never really gave either team that much go-forward. However, had that been a first choice Sharks pack we might have struggled but who knows?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:34 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:55 am

If you expected SB (or even Harry Potter) to come in, wave a magic wand and transform us overnight into a free flowing exciting attacking team that is competing at the top of the table then I’m afraid you were mistaken.
"Free-flowing, exciting, attacking" rugby is the extreme end of the scale. That's not my expectation. I'm not sure Tigers have ever played that way in my lifetime.

I'm not even saying SB is doing the wrong thing. He's just doing a tedious, repetitive thing.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What sort of game plan do we expect Borthwick to adopt.

With the playing staff in the backs available we might as well pick a scrum half who can kick penalties and fill 10 to 14 with back rows. Probably have much pace as the ones that played on Friday. Arguably Nadolo fits that bill.

Wigglesworth is a controlling scrum half, signed as player coach and frankly no longer quick enough. If you have a fly half who is so far off Premiership standard the centres and wings are just not going to get any opportunities.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

mol2 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:58 pm What sort of game plan do we expect Borthwick to adopt.

With the playing staff in the backs available we might as well pick a scrum half who can kick penalties and fill 10 to 14 with back rows. Probably have much pace as the ones that played on Friday. Arguably Nadolo fits that bill.

Wigglesworth is a controlling scrum half, signed as player coach and frankly no longer quick enough. If you have a fly half who is so far off Premiership standard the centres and wings are just not going to get any opportunities.
So you are saying that Van wyk, Moroni and Scott are slow . Suggest you get your eyes tested
A2O
Super User
Super User

Be nice to see them run with the ball to judge...
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Having re-watched both Tigers v Sale and Bears v Bath, there are some striking things to see, while seeing Bath humiliated was a joy, the comparison of Bears v Tigers was not so uplifting, I know the Bears have taken time to get this good but the intention has been there from the off, their relentlessness in attack from anywhere on the pitch should be the benchmark, very little aimless hoofing the ball, very little running into brick walls, they may as well have been playing a different game to the dross that Tigers served up!
OK a plan not too loose by too much is understandable given the past few seasons but with a new coach who should not let anything in the recent past colour his ambition it was very poor. IMHO

PS.I do not think GF and BY would have made any difference assuming we were playing to plan!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BengalTiger wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:47 pm Having re-watched both Tigers v Sale and Bears v Bath, there are some striking things to see, while seeing Bath humiliated was a joy, the comparison of Bears v Tigers was not so uplifting, I know the Bears have taken time to get this good but the intention has been there from the off, their relentlessness in attack from anywhere on the pitch should be the benchmark, very little aimless hoofing the ball, very little running into brick walls, they may as well have been playing a different game to the dross that Tigers served up!
OK a plan not too loose by too much is understandable given the past few seasons but with a new coach who should not let anything in the recent past colour his ambition it was very poor. IMHO

PS.I do not think GF and BY would have made any difference assuming we were playing to plan!
I have a theory, Bristol do not have any England influences, no coaches or players, therefore no aimless kicking, SB has inherited EJ mind set, as that tactic seems to be their way, so we just do the same. Come on Tigers lets try and run it sometimes we have decent enough centres and wingers.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tommy Reffell gets the try that was given to Tom Toungs.

Bristol I’m sure spending £2 + million on 3 players who are known for their massive attacking abilities helps a lot also.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=RagingBull post_id=765131 time=1612108617 user_id=10459]
Tommy Reffell gets the try that was given to Tom Toungs.

Bristol I’m sure spending £2 + million on 3 players who are known for their massive attacking abilities helps a lot also.
[/quote]

.....having a multi-millionaire backing you to fund a squad, a very good coaching set-up and world-class facilities also helps.
There is now talk of them trying to keep hold of their Sarries loanees.