Super User
Super User

Re: 6 NATIONS 2021

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:26 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:16 pm Congratulations Wales
Yours sincerely, Peter O’Mahoney,Zander Fagerson,Pascal Gauzere,Wayne McBarnes
😂😂😂
Guys, thanks for your generous, magnanimous comments. It means a lot.
I appreciate your disappointment with England’s performances but remember, 5th is better than 6th.
Let’s raise a glass to the 2021 6N champions. 🍻🥂
Don’t forget to raise one to Peter,Zander,Pascal and Wayne. Salut!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

& Eddie, Mario.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Freebird
Tiger Cub

Post by Freebird »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:33 pm
VernonAtrium wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:32 pm Here's an idea. Each ref decision referred to the TMO is also referred to an instant online vote from the AMO (Armchair Match Officials). Final decision between the ref and TMO stands, but it gives the pedants something to do and they feel involved.
Ask the audience?
Phone a Scott
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Freebird wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:13 pm
Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:33 pm
VernonAtrium wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:32 pm Here's an idea. Each ref decision referred to the TMO is also referred to an instant online vote from the AMO (Armchair Match Officials). Final decision between the ref and TMO stands, but it gives the pedants something to do and they feel involved.
Ask the audience?
Phone a Scott
Only if it’s the million pound question,and I want a good cut!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Can’t believe the number of posters on here criticising Wayne Barnes, he is the top ref in the world and gets 95% of his decisions correct, most of the posters on this board who post comments about the refereeing of games haven’t got a clue about the laws of rugby and how to ref a game.
Personally I’m in awe of the refs in the premiership, they are so good.
I reffed junior rugby for many years and marvel at the standard of refereeing in the premiership, yes they make mistakes but mostly they get decisions right.
May I suggest that the posters on here who criticise referees go on a referee course and then ask a local club to allow them to referee a game, then they will realise what a complex and difficult game rugby is to referee.
Please don’t say that I’m to old to ref a game as I started my career as a ref in my forties and finished in my sixties.
I wasn’t a great ref but a fair ref to both sides.
Come on Scott1 and all the other posters who criticise referees admit that you haven’t got a clue about the laws of the game, take the ref course. You know you want too.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Great result for Scotland (and Wales)....With wins in England and now in Paris, this Scotland side really do need to search for more consistency to go with undoubted ability
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Strangely enough, I am not upset with that result! Scotland merited the win as they were aggressive when it counted. Man of the match for me was Hamish Watson. If Scotland had been a tad more streetwise with their home games, it could have been a Grand Slam!
Semper in excretia
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:14 am Can’t believe the number of posters on here criticising Wayne Barnes, he is the top ref in the world and gets 95% of his decisions correct, most of the posters on this board who post comments about the refereeing of games haven’t got a clue about the laws of rugby and how to ref a game.
Personally I’m in awe of the refs in the premiership, they are so good.
I reffed junior rugby for many years and marvel at the standard of refereeing in the premiership, yes they make mistakes but mostly they get decisions right.
May I suggest that the posters on here who criticise referees go on a referee course and then ask a local club to allow them to referee a game, then they will realise what a complex and difficult game rugby is to referee.
Please don’t say that I’m to old to ref a game as I started my career as a ref in my forties and finished in my sixties.
I wasn’t a great ref but a fair ref to both sides.
Come on Scott1 and all the other posters who criticise referees admit that you haven’t got a clue about the laws of the game, take the ref course. You know you want too.
Graham Simmons did exactly this a little while back. It's worth reading his article on it - he would agree with you!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Dokie wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:30 pm
Traveller wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:28 pm I can't wait to see how so many of these so called 'rugby corespondents' in particular Kitson in the Guardian try to square this one away. France this all conquering, brilliantly coached, defensive behemoth, World Cup winners in waiting, all court 15 - end up beating Italy and Wales. Kitson who headlined 'Flamboyant Young French here to stay' - as they lost to England and didn't get into the English 22 once in the entire second half with in hand. So if Jones is utterly useless then is Galthie some coaching genius. Is Edwards still the defensive guru? It's amazing how professional corespondents produce such amateurish narratives and get away with it.

Well done to Wales by the way.
👍
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I know there is another thread on this subject and so I won't Labour the point but, thinking about last night. If the Lions are picked primarily on the basis of the 6N performances it's very difficult to imagine many English players journeying south. There will be hell to pay if a New Zealand coach leaves behind lots of Scottish players who have put their hands up and played, in favour of lots of Englishmen who haven't. Wales are bound to have a big chunk of the places and so too Ireland. This time around England should fulfilll the traditional Scottish role. Maybe more than two but not much more than four or five.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Surprised by the views on here regarding the red card. You can't lead with the forearm in any circumstance so he was always going to be leaving the field. In the neck area was just foolish so had to be a red. Saying it was stopping a head on head or a high tackle is ridiculous. You can't stop a hypothetical. It's like saying illegally clearing out a ruck is OK because it prevented a player potentially gouging someone in the ruck.

I thought Barnes was pretty even to both teams. He seemed to let more go than usual, expected him to start showing yellow cards earlier but don't think France should have many complaints.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Traveller wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:06 am I know there is another thread on this subject and so I won't Labour the point but, thinking about last night. If the Lions are picked primarily on the basis of the 6N performances it's very difficult to imagine many English players journeying south. There will be hell to pay if a New Zealand coach leaves behind lots of Scottish players who have put their hands up and played, in favour of lots of Englishmen who haven't. Wales are bound to have a big chunk of the places and so too Ireland. This time around England should fulfilll the traditional Scottish role. Maybe more than two but not much more than four or five.
IMO it's been a strange tournament in that many of the names suggested at the start of the tournament haven't really cemented their places, for any nation! 9 and 10 seems up in the air - Biggar maybe edging 10 but it's hard to see past Farrell against the big SA sides.

I think making Itoje captain could be the making of him discipline wise.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

ourla wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:01 pm For me Ireland were much the better team and Ireland would have won with 15 on the park.

France's championship to lose now. Ireland and England battling out for 2nd - probably will be Ireland. Scotland 4th then Wales and Italy.
Hindsight’s a wonderful thing.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scotland deserved to win that game, I don’t think Barnes was bad, but my des amis français will be pretty miffed at a blatant sealing off by either Wilson or Ritchie (or by the way was :censored: outstanding) that was let aside before van der Merwe’s try.

However, I do believe had it not been for a few waffles in Rome this French side could have walked the Championship, grand slam in hand but ne pas être.

In the end, no Slam but a Welsh title is probably a fair reflection of the tournament.

As another poster days, Scottish players should not be sacrificed for underperforming English players on the impending Lions tour.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:07 am Surprised by the views on here regarding the red card. You can't lead with the forearm in any circumstance so he was always going to be leaving the field. In the neck area was just foolish so had to be a red. Saying it was stopping a head on head or a high tackle is ridiculous. You can't stop a hypothetical. It's like saying illegally clearing out a ruck is OK because it prevented a player potentially gouging someone in the ruck.

I thought Barnes was pretty even to both teams. He seemed to let more go than usual, expected him to start showing yellow cards earlier but don't think France should have many complaints.
On the subject of red cards there seemed to be another high shot in the final series of plays as the ball came out to the backs. I've lost the recording so can't go back over it.... Any thoughts?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"