6 NATIONS 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 NATIONS 2021

Post by Big Dai »

mol2 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:38 am In many ways I wonder if the best outcome would be for England to be tonked by Ireland and France rather than limping along with poor leadership and an unwillingness to accept that sides have to evolve to remain competetive.

Evolution is multifold:
Different players.
Improving players.
Improved game plan.
Improved leadership on and off the field.

Haven't seen much to suggest that any of those are happeneing apart from injury cover and some of the players are simply not as good as they were. The Sarries players being obvious examples, indeed Owen Farrell is seemingly untouchable and for me the biggest limiting factor. Seems to have lost his pace and unable to spark anything and his leadership is not there.
He is not the best fly half in England and shoehorning him int the inside centre berth isn't working.

Jomes seems to have identified his best players and stubbornly shoehorns them into his side, irrrespective of whether they are competent in the position. Daly is not a full back. He is a centre/utility back.
The 7;2 split on the bench stops him from changing tactics if the backs aren't firing other than swapping scrum half.
What would your "Prem teams only and in form" England side look like?

...... Just curious.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I didn't say Premiership only, but would exclude those in the Championship as the gulf between that is probably more than that from the Premiership to international rugby, and playing against slower, weaker less talented players is not preparation for the 6N.

Had I been EJ I would have made it clear to the Sarries players that to remain in contention for selection they would have to play in the Premiership. Leave or go on loan would be irrelevant, but training and playing the odd game against championship level sides s not enough.

At present I would drop Farrell, Ford and Daly. Billy Vunipola showed signs of fitness in the last game (but should not have played in the first two games as clearly not ready) Macko? The withdrawal of Marler has saved his skin. Not sure I would drop Itoje but needs to understand the cost of being over the edge- perhaps it's time to make him captain. Jamie George should be benched again not fit enough. You see I have included Ford, I think he has had his time and we need to give the likes of Simmonds and Smith a try.
Full back is a puzzle - I think that now this 6N is done I would give our lad Steward a try. He hasn't for one minute looked out of his depth this season.
I would keep Youngs in - time after time he controls the game better than any other English Scrum Half.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

France may be at full strength for the England match because Romain Ntamack is at 10 for Toulouse tomorrow against Brive, Virimi Vakatawa and Camille Chat may well be in the Racing team in Toulon. We'll have to wait and see if they'll be included for Twickenham. i hope so!
Semper in excretia
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

England team based solely on the prem this season, it's tough as haven't watched all games, not the team I'dpick by any means but one I think has been doing the best in the Prem this year so no planning forward etc etc.

Steward
Odogwu
Marchant
Lawrence
Hassell-Collins
Smith
Care (Randall if not injured)
Genge
Cowan-Dickie
Afoa
Attwod
Ribbans
Dombrant
Curry/Ludlow (Willis if fit)
Simmonds
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Afoa? 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:47 pm England team based solely on the prem this season, it's tough as haven't watched all games, not the team I'dpick by any means but one I think has been doing the best in the Prem this year so no planning forward etc etc.

Steward
Odogwu
Marchant
Lawrence
Hassell-Collins
Smith
Care (Randall if not injured)
Genge
Cowan-Dickie
Afoa
Attwod
Ribbans
Dombrant
Curry/Ludlow (Willis if fit)
Simmonds
You might have to argue who would have whom in a couple of positions, but call them the bar bars and let them play England?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Here’s the list of the 31 players in the French squad for Twickenham. Notable inclusions are Chat, Vakatawa and Ntamack. https://t.co/fgTf2bx5rB?amp=1
Semper in excretia
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

I'm almost in agreement that a couple of spankings might be the best long term result for England.

Simmonds simply HAS to be brought in. Heck, play him at Centre if you think he hurts the pack too much. He'd punch holes in any defence.

Daly has surely played his way out of the squad? He and Slade are squad players at best IMO.

I think Youngs and Ford haven't played too badly to be honest and I don't see a scrum half worthy of taking Ben's shirt off him yet.

Farrell takes too much flak but he's certainly out of form.

Agree with others that Kruis coming back would be a big boost.

We desperately need to find some power in the backs, be that in the middle or on the wing. Someone who can just blast through and get some quick ball when things are slowing down.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Watching Obano yesterday Genge needs to up his game a bit!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:44 pm Watching Obano yesterday Genge needs to up his game a bit!
He's definitely suffering with a dip in form.

Scrummaging nowhere near its best and he's not the menace in the loose that he is when keyed in.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TheTigerKing wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:51 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:44 pm Watching Obano yesterday Genge needs to up his game a bit!
He's definitely suffering with a dip in form.

Scrummaging nowhere near its best and he's not the menace in the loose that he is when keyed in.
Is he too comfortable now, when he was moaning and not being selected he was trying to impress, now is he in his arm chair and giving away penalties, hope not?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Gabin Villière out of the tournament through injury :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/injury-b ... x-nations/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:17 am Gabin Villière out of the tournament through injury :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/injury-b ... x-nations/
Tough on Villière who has made his mark this season. However, with Damian Penaud, Teddy Thomas and the outstanding new talent, Donovan Taofifenua of Racing who may be on the bench, we're not short of wingers!
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For the changes that everybody wants to the England squad to happen, then for me Eddie Jones can no longer be head coach because it won't happen otherwise.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:04 pm Here’s the list of the 31 players in the French squad for Twickenham. Notable inclusions are Chat, Vakatawa and Ntamack. https://t.co/fgTf2bx5rB?amp=1
My selection would be:
Dulin; Penaud, Vakatawa, Fickou, Thomas; Ntamack, Dupont; Baille, Marchand, Haouas; Le Roux, Willemse; Jelonch, Ollivon, Alldritt.
Replacements: Chat, Aldeghiri, Gros, R.Taififenua, Woki, Serin, Jalibert, Bouthier

With this team, surely a Grand Slam beckons!
Semper in excretia