Re: 6 NATIONS 2021

Post by trendylfj »

Hehehehehehehehe
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:41 pm I don't disagree about BY's performance but he is almost 32 so my point was the time is now to look forward to the next world cup and begin to form the team that you would want to play in the final in 2 year's time. Would I take him? - of course I would but can see him being pushed by JVP amongst others ( Alex Mitchell, Harry Randall, Ben Spencer).
Scrum half's and 10's seem to go on forever these days. I don't see why he can't remain No 1 for a good while yet.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

France v Scotland on Friday March 26th.

There'll be forced changes in France's 2nd row because Romain Taofifénua went off injured and won't be fit and Paul Willemse will probably be banned after his red card against Wales.
Toulon's Swan Rebbadj, who came on as replacement against Wales, will be in the squad, as will Racing's Bernard Le Roux, and former U20 Baptiste Pesenti of Pau has been called up.

Romain Ntamack will undoubtedly be at fly half instead of injured Matthieu Jalibert with Toulon's Louis Carbonel the likely bench option.

The French need a bonus point win and a margin of at least 21 points but history is not in their favour. Here are the last six results against Scotland at the Stade de France.

Feb 2019 France 27 Scotland 10 (6N)
Feb 2017 22-16 (6N)
Sep 2015 19-16 (World Cup warm-up)
Feb 2015 15-8
March 2013 20-16
Feb 2011 34-21

No defeats, but also no winning margins of more than 21 points. So France may have their work cut out to do enough to win the title.
Semper in excretia
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:39 pm no citing for Ellis - https://www.balls.ie/rugby/ellis-genge- ... ton-464292
Balls, indeed.

I find the second clip particularly amusing, did you know that if you play The Beatles' Abbey Road backwards, you can clearly hear John Major saying "Trump is a Dick"? Plus it sounds better.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:29 am
mol2 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:07 am When you do the same thing with essentially the same players over 2 years and the results get worse, that sounds like regression rather than progression.

2 Six Nations and an Autumn International series is more than enough to justify change. Be that players, coaches or both.

If Jones doen't go back to his bosses with a coherent plan of what changes he intends to make then they have little option but to sack him.
I still think there are mitigating circumstances this year and last year although it may be argued it papered over some cracks, results were pretty good weren’t they?

Are we not overreacting to a set of results clearly impacted by the lack of game time for key players?

If you were EJ would you really have dropped Itoje, Farrell, George etc - I’m not sure I would and then you have the bubble issue so can’t just bring in and ship out players as normal

If nothing else then it this 6 nations may have exacerbated some issues but it doesn’t mean we should ditch players that have over 2-3years been very good.

The worry is that if Manu doesn’t play we don’t seem to have a different way to beat teams that match us physically
I would have been very clear with those players that unless they were to be loaned out to other premiership sides they would not have been considered for selection from the time Sarries were dropped tot he Championship. As such they would not have been in the bubble to require replacing. Sending out the message that your head coach is not concerned that you aren't playing regularly gives the impression that those players are untouchable. Itoje is the only one who looked fit, but gave away penalties either because he wasn't match sharp or trying too hard to turn around a losing side. Playing in the championship is a bit like a minor counties cricketer turning out for the England cricket team - such a selection would bewilder most.

I would argue that some of those players have not been good since the World Cup. Farrell, the Vunipolas & Daly in particular.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-k ... 1616416378 Interesting this one, Is Ford injured or has Eddie lost the plot?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:05 pm Disagree about Youngs,thought he had a very good tournament and was better than the supposedly worlds best 9 v France. And I'm his biggest critic. And as we all know its all about the pack performing with a 9.
Concur about Youngs he has balanced the kicking game that was imposed by Jones with sniping. Yes Saturday wasn't his finest in an England shirt but he has looked better than most. He still has the legs to play most of the match and make breaks. The lack of midfield attack was the problem. The starting scrum half has to control the game - the harem-scarem stuff is more for the bench scrum half who can exploit tiring defenses. However for Ben Youngs he may find himself under serious competition for the top spot at Tigers, such is the progress Van Poortvliet has made this season.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Im not overly convinced being with England is good for our players. George's game is stunted playing for England and Ellis looks a bit frustrated. Ben's form however looks good but sometimes isn't brought back to the club.
I'm not cynical just experienced
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

tigercub21 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:58 pm https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-k ... 1616416378 Interesting this one, Is Ford injured or has Eddie lost the plot?
If Ford wasn't injured the latter must apply.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:09 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:43 pm
trendylfj wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:59 pm Has Genge been cited yet? - watched a vid of him and Sexton which didn't impress.
Haven't seen the list of citing hearings as yet.
Genge worries me, he seems to have something about him, its not just physicality, he seems to get into confrontations every game he plays and seems to be worse coming off the bench, I cant work him out. :smt017
Probably miffed that he is warming the bench whilst watching an unfit lump get picked ahead of him.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

mol2 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:53 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:29 am
mol2 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:07 am When you do the same thing with essentially the same players over 2 years and the results get worse, that sounds like regression rather than progression.

2 Six Nations and an Autumn International series is more than enough to justify change. Be that players, coaches or both.

If Jones doen't go back to his bosses with a coherent plan of what changes he intends to make then they have little option but to sack him.
I still think there are mitigating circumstances this year and last year although it may be argued it papered over some cracks, results were pretty good weren’t they?

Are we not overreacting to a set of results clearly impacted by the lack of game time for key players?

If you were EJ would you really have dropped Itoje, Farrell, George etc - I’m not sure I would and then you have the bubble issue so can’t just bring in and ship out players as normal

If nothing else then it this 6 nations may have exacerbated some issues but it doesn’t mean we should ditch players that have over 2-3years been very good.

The worry is that if Manu doesn’t play we don’t seem to have a different way to beat teams that match us physically
I would have been very clear with those players that unless they were to be loaned out to other premiership sides they would not have been considered for selection from the time Sarries were dropped tot he Championship. As such they would not have been in the bubble to require replacing. Sending out the message that your head coach is not concerned that you aren't playing regularly gives the impression that those players are untouchable. Itoje is the only one who looked fit, but gave away penalties either because he wasn't match sharp or trying too hard to turn around a losing side. Playing in the championship is a bit like a minor counties cricketer turning out for the England cricket team - such a selection would bewilder most.

I would argue that some of those players have not been good since the World Cup. Farrell, the Vunipolas & Daly in particular.
Posh Richard and I would agree.

Our selection criteria woukd be :-

Is playing regularly, in position, at the top level for his club.
Is demostrated to be in form
Will be around for the next world cup.

Coming fifth with a young (er), pacey side wiling to play more than one, two bump rugby would have been a better result than coming fifth with the current crop...... And who's to say it would not have ben better than 5th?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:42 pm The bubble is a bit of a smokescreen for me...

Let's face it, Sinkler was "left out" the 28 so he would be eligible for the game before the 6N started to count to his ban, then he was drafted into the bubble without being in the 28, or shadow squad, so it could have been done if Eddie wanted it.
+1.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

mol2 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:52 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:09 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:43 pm

Haven't seen the list of citing hearings as yet.
Genge worries me, he seems to have something about him, its not just physicality, he seems to get into confrontations every game he plays and seems to be worse coming off the bench, I cant work him out. :smt017
Probably miffed that he is warming the bench whilst watching an unfit lump get picked ahead of him.
Probably being 8 weeks away from a little one is having an effect too. It all adds up, especially when things like results, decisions, rub of the green go against you...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Scotland’s deal with premiership was limited to a number. Therefore Maitland has had to be dropped. That’s a real shame because he has played very well This season.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

mightymouse wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:01 pm Scotland’s deal with premiership was limited to a number. Therefore Maitland has had to be dropped. That’s a real shame because he has played very well This season.
But he doesn’t play in the premiership. If the deal was done with the Premiership as a body, he may have been left out in the cold.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….