Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 NATIONS 2021

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:32 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:14 pm That woman has a name, Sonja, and was doing her job, what was she supposed to ask Farrell? What are you having for tea?
https://tinyl.io/3biQ

The misogynists on here need to examine their moral compasses. Utterly inexcusable.
+1
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

I hate to break it to Sonja, but if your looking for eutopic forum where people calmy express their opinion........Twitter ain't it!

To quote Obi Wan Kinobi, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

If you don't want to hear what the cess pool of the world thinks of you, the simple answer is don't go on it!

Yes it's not right and these people are awful, but you will never change it.
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

If my job was asking what amounts to verbal clickbait, I think I'd be crying on the way home every day.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

VernonAtrium wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:26 pm If my job was asking what amounts to verbal clickbait, I think I'd be crying on the way home every day.
So what questions would everybody else have asked? Or shouldn't players and coaches be interviewed after international matches?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

h's dad wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:18 pm
VernonAtrium wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:26 pm If my job was asking what amounts to verbal clickbait, I think I'd be crying on the way home every day.
So what questions would everybody else have asked? Or shouldn't players and coaches be interviewed after international matches?
I think that she went in to get a headline "Farrell thinks ref reason they lost!!!" and when he didn't oblige she pushed and pushed making herself look a bit silly.

Both Farrell and Eddie Jones have been magnanimous which the media hate.

Also its pretty clever because the IRB would have stood by the ref if he was attacked but now he hasn't been, they can hang him out to dry and not look reactive.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:25 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:11 pm Is it safe to come in? Has the Anglo/Welsh 'hatefest' calmed down?

As a Tigers/Scotland supporter with nothing better to do today may I comment:-
Try 1
"Go speak to your team" without any agreed time scale is inadequate by both the ref and captain. Anytime during the next huddle (set play)? ASAP? or other undefined period.
"You have/give me 1 minute to talk to your/my team" would have helped.
I believe there's no statutory time within the laws for such ref directives.

In a virtually empty stadium with every foul word being heard couldn't Farrell just turn and shout " Lads the ref wants us to cut out the cr×p"!

Judgement Try 1 - Not proven as there was no breach of Law as there is no Law. Caveat natural justice and spirit of the game breached.

Try 2
With 6 decades in my rugby logbook the vagueries of what is considered a knock on still confuses.
A scenario ' whilst rapid passing a receiver grasps at pass and fumbles. Ball drops forward and punted forward towards the try line. Player from onside runs and downs the ball for 5pts. Try or no try?
Instead of punt think calf now try or no try?
When does a player 'lose control of the ball' ? Every time it leaves his hands intended or not?

Judgement Try 2 - Try!
Ball not passed forward to ground but kicked off calf.

England have the player resources for better but poor discipline.

Now where's that Laphroig? Slainte Mhath!

With regards to the ‘tries’ I will take my opinion from ref Nigel Owens, by most people’s opinion the one of the best refs in the world, who said that neither try should have been awarded. 100%. So end of any speculation on that front. As to the effect on the game? Who knows. It is very much a game of momentum. Had that first try been disallowed, we cannot say whatever did actually follow from that point would still have happened (space time continuum and all that). Anything is pure speculation. For me? I though at 24-24 they had done superbly well in coming back and had Wales absolutely in the cross-hairs. Despite the ill discipline I thought England the better side.

And then the Johnny Hill incident giving away a pen with Eliot Daly joggin back to our try line with his back tuned. That sums it up to me. England were very dumb for most of the match.

But they haven’t whinged about the reffing, despite some provocative questioning (and of the Wales captain too) so kudos to them for that. But it’s done. Time to move on and hopefully Eddie now changes tack. Including dropping Elliot Daly at least (in my opinion).
But in NO's explanation about the first try he doesn't mention anything about the laws of the game. It's just his viewpoint. And his previous actions as a ref don't back this up at all either.

Can you honestly remember another example of when the whole team, wingers and all, got in a huddle to listen to the captain during a game when there was no natural break in play i.e. try scored or significant injury. The only other example I can think of is when SA did the same against Ireland a few years ago, the ref put time back on and Ireland scored.

And can you honestly remember a time when a ref waited for a team to get back into place? We're talking about a vastly experienced England team here - it was a schoolboy error. And then after this had happened, Daly still didn't bother to stay switched on when a penalty was given near the line and let another try be scored. That's unforgivable.

I still can't understand what the ref and TMO were watching for the 2nd try though... :smt017
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Concur.
Who wouldn't have pressed the players and coaches on the ref's performance?

Does being female make her comments, questions and observations less relevant?
No more or less relevant than any other spectator. Those who referree excepted as too many players of this and other sports are somewhat clueless as to the regulations.

As someone with a foot in both camps I would say the ref had a shocker.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Sometimes I do wander what the point is., particularly those on the losing side. Players are hardly likely to slag their coaches off. Coaches and players are hardly likely to slag off the ref as they know what will happen. And most players and coaches have a compete mistrust of the media. Look at Johno and Mike Atherton as examples. More mono-syllabic, boring, cliched interviewees you would be hard pressed to find when they were players. But since turning to punditry, surprise, surprise, it turns out they are quite engaging and erudite.

And the best interviewers tend to be those that have empathy with their subjects and invariably through that get more candid responses. It’s not the Andrew Marr show. If you look at the interviews Sonja did with Owen Farrell before the game and with him, Eddie and Alun Wyn Jones after, her go to technique tends to be confrontational, sticking a finger in the wound style and trying to get a rise out of her subjects (and not just with England). Very much like Graham Simmonds (?) used to be on Sky (when they had rugby). And so what do the interviewees do in response? They clam up and offer very little. Maybe that’s to some people’s taste. It’s not for me. I always have sympathy with players and coaches on the losing side having to come out so soon after and be charming and revealing. It sometimes seems quite voyeuristic.

And as others have said, Twitter and Social Media in general is a hideous cesspool. It might be a useful tool for self-promotion, but do not be so naive as to not understand what it may open yourself up to. It shouldn’t be that way and who knows, one day it might not be, but use it at your own risk.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If the person asking the questions had been male nothing would of been said, that is the issue here, the same has been going on recently in Wendyball as well when a female pundit says something.
Sonja is a journalist, it's her job to get a story, rather that than some of the tripe Craig Doyle gets out of players/coaches.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Sonja is a brilliant journo and an excellent presenter, however she got the line of questioning totally wrong IMO. Baiting Faz rather than breaking down the tactical/discipline/selection reasons why England lost. Not the high standards Sonja normal broadcasts.

As for Gengey in the players tunnel after the game, what was he doing??????
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

Unfortunately the tactics of the media are to excite, titilate or make people angry. Emotions are a far stronger driver than reasoned argument.

Same with this forum. A well thought out balanced appraisal of Saturdays game will be ignored but write "The board is a steaming pile of excrement and should rot in hell......discuss" and the topic will be run for weeks.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

BrightonTiger wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:46 pm Unfortunately the tactics of the media are to excite, titilate or make people angry. Emotions are a far stronger driver than reasoned argument.

Same with this forum. A well thought out balanced appraisal of Saturdays game will be ignored but write "The board is a steaming pile of excrement and should rot in hell......discuss" and the topic will be run for weeks.
I thought it was just an after match interview to talk about what happened in the match!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

BrightonTiger wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:34 pm
I think that she went in to get a headline "Farrell thinks ref reason they lost!!!" and when he didn't oblige she pushed and pushed making herself look a bit silly.

Both Farrell and Eddie Jones have been magnanimous which the media hate.

Also its pretty clever because the IRB would have stood by the ref if he was attacked but now he hasn't been, they can hang him out to dry and not look reactive.
This all day long 👍
A2O
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

DingDong wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:30 pm Sonja is a brilliant journo and an excellent presenter, however she got the line of questioning totally wrong IMO. Baiting Faz rather than breaking down the tactical/discipline/selection reasons why England lost. Not the high standards Sonja normal broadcasts.

Re Genge - didn’t see it myself as the telly went off as soon as the final whistle went. Whatever he did didn’t surely deserve death threats. Copied this from Twitter.....

Don’t know why I’m not clapping in that tunnel must be deep in thought, utmost respect for the Welsh 🌼 as for keyboard warriors sending death threats etc ....
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

DingDong wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:30 pm Sonja is a brilliant journo and an excellent presenter, however she got the line of questioning totally wrong IMO. Baiting Faz rather than breaking down the tactical/discipline/selection reasons why England lost. Not the high standards Sonja normal broadcasts.

I switched it off at end of play, what was Genge doing?