6 NATIONS 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 NATIONS 2021

Post by Noggs »

I don't think most are saying that Eddie is not a great coach and clearly his record with England is testimony to the fact. However, many are also left struggling in trying to understand some of his current selection decisions, particularly based on his previous statements regarding the basis for player selection.

Lets hope that some of the questionable selection can find form against Wales.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:00 am
KiwiTig wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:17 pm Delighted for George and Good luck to all our boys
Yes I agree happy for him, but should he really be in before Simmons?
You think Simmonds can cover the Lawes role of 4/5/6? Being that 3rd primary lineout option who covers 2nd and back row? When EJ goes 6-2, one in the team always covers both to ensure that either two of the back row or both locks can be replaced. Normally that's Lawes but he's injured. Ok so Itoje can do it but I think EJ has him considered so vital in 2nd row without Launchbury or Kruis he wants to keep him there barring injury, so if Itoje is on the pitch Itoje's going to be pushing at lock in the scrum.

Personally I'd have Simmonds in the squad, certainly ahead of Wilson, likely ahead of BV and Earl, but lets compare apples with apples not all back row positions are the same, Martin is in the squad for a different position to Simmonds, it's like moaning that one tight head is in the squad over a different loose head.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Noggs wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:03 am I don't think most are saying that Eddie is not a great coach and clearly his record with England is testimony to the fact. However, many are also left struggling in trying to understand some of his current selection decisions, particularly based on his previous statements regarding the basis for player selection.

Lets hope that some of the questionable selection can find form against Wales.
I'm a great fan of Jones and have been for years. However I do think he could do a better job of 'educating' supporters in terms of selection, instead of using the "it's all about selection mate, I've got my opinion you've got yours" barb.

Everyone on this forum is passionate about rugby, otherwise we wouldn't be here. I'd love to learn from him an expert in what he does. I haven't got a clue why Simmonds so determinedly doesn't get a look in. He isn't a chump of a very player or person - otherwise Baxter wouldn't have him anywhere near the Exeter set up. .

Maybe not mention specific players but by process i.e. "When I'm building a team, what I am looking for with this England team is x .......... so in terms of forward / back row combination what I'm looking for is x. So what we have to consider is ........." or
"The three main reasons great club players don't always adjust well to the international set up are........ for example without naming players......"

I'd love to know why he selected Furbank (for a debut away in France, first game up after the WC) which seemed
strange to lots of people, persisted with him for a couple of games. It wasn't done on the toss of a coin.............

If you look at football now in the UK fans are extremely knowledgable about systems of play etc.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I agree with everything you say. We clearly make our comments without access to the information he uses to make his selection decisions and he stand or falls on the decisions he makes. That said, I do think that it is interesting to hear other supporters opinions on selection, providing it is not just a case of slagging off the players in question or the coach.

Time will tell if he is getting it right.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Noggs wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:13 am I agree with everything you say. We clearly make our comments without access to the information he uses to make his selection decisions and he stand or falls on the decisions he makes. That said, I do think that it is interesting to hear other supporters opinions on selection, providing it is not just a case of slagging off the players in question or the coach.

Time will tell if he is getting it right.
I agree. The whole point of the forum is about opinions. If all we do is bow to Eddie's greater wisdom - well .......... there's not a lot of point in being a fan.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

EJ is a contrarian, that is all you need to know about his selection process, he does things differently because he likes to be different, anyone trying to make deeper sense of it is barking up the wrong tree, nothing in EJ's selections are based on logic, quite the contrary, the more it winds the rest of us up the better he likes it.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

BengalTiger wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:49 am EJ is a contrarian, that is all you need to know about his selection process, he does things differently because he likes to be different, anyone trying to make deeper sense of it is barking up the wrong tree, nothing in EJ's selections are based on logic, quite the contrary, the more it winds the rest of us up the better he likes it.
Thanks for that. That makes sense.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

See it's been confirmed that Lawes is out for the remainder of the tournament, and EJ will choose his squad replacement after the Wales game.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

BengalTiger wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:49 am the more it winds the rest of us up the better he likes it.
Might be a by product of how he works but I don't believe it's anywhere near his main driver.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:59 pm See it's been confirmed that Lawes is out for the remainder of the tournament, and EJ will choose his squad replacement after the Wales game.
He'll go for Ludlam one would suspect, Covid and this shadow squad is a useful excuse for EJ to hide behind not picking players like Dombrandt or Simmonds.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Picking players on form is a tricky one.

How many times has Ben Youngs seemingly put in much better performances for England. Its almost certainly down to the team and tactics employed yet a lot of people on here and elsewhere would claim he wasn't always in form.

Same goes for the Saracens players. Form isn't necessarily obvious without an deeper understanding of the game they are playing in and the players around them. And I'm not claiming to understand either of those things!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Remember very well a time a time when England could not win in Wales to save their lives.We don't get points for style, in a tournament it is the result that matters.England to win a relatively close contest.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:46 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:59 pm See it's been confirmed that Lawes is out for the remainder of the tournament, and EJ will choose his squad replacement after the Wales game.
He'll go for Ludlam one would suspect, Covid and this shadow squad is a useful excuse for EJ to hide behind not picking players like Dombrandt or Simmonds.
Eddie doesn't hide. He also isn't interested in media or fan opinions. If you look at the players he favours in the backrow they have massive workrates, particularly in defence, which rules Dombrandt out even though it's an area he's improving. He also likes an 8 that does the grafting work in the tight which somewhat unfairly rules out Simmonds. I think he previously said that if Simmonds played you'd need a big 6 or a lock at 6 to balance the backrow, as he's doing that already maybe he can finally make room but I doubt it.

Simmonds was excellent (again) for Chiefs last night with carries, turnovers the whole thing. I just can't see Eddie going for him sadly.

JP14 is right it'll be Ludlam.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Triple crown for Wales today. Love to think it’ll be another 30-3 drubbing but however well we play, we rarely make the win easy for ourselves. Unless Sheedy comes on early for Biggar. Then we might run riot!!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Wales have been flattered by recent results. Still not had to face a full 15 opposition, when they do things could unravel very quickly. whether England are the side to do that, we'll see later. England certainly haven't fired well yet, but with Ford at 10, they may click.

Don't get too cocky too soon.

Oh! Silly me, of course you will.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….