6 NATIONS 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 NATIONS 2021

Post by Noggs »

Eddie's big claim is that he picks team players on form, not reputation. On that basis there are 5 or 6 who should not be in the 23. :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,this could be another 30-3. Drab,uninspiring lineup,LCD has been superb, deserved to start. Billy V has been shocking Wilson is a squad player. Their BR will murder ours. Daly must have some shocking photos of Eddie,that's 7 points to Wales already. Got this funny feeling that this could be Eddie last 6N. 2 more losses and he could be really struggling
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

If I were Scottish and facing the prospect of a match vs France outside of the specified "International window", and therefore being without many players for a rescheduled fixture, I would be apoplectic with rage that it seems the French head coach by breaking the bio-bubble rules has got his side an unfair advantage.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:45 pm If I were Scottish and facing the prospect of a match vs France outside of the specified "International window", and therefore being without many players for a rescheduled fixture, I would be apoplectic with rage that it seems the French head coach by breaking the bio-bubble rules has got his side an unfair advantage.
Well the 2 leagues could of course do the decent thing....or the English clubs could tell PRL to do one over the whole dictating when clubs can choose to release their players.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:45 pm If I were Scottish and facing the prospect of a match vs France outside of the specified "International window", and therefore being without many players for a rescheduled fixture, I would be apoplectic with rage that it seems the French head coach by breaking the bio-bubble rules has got his side an unfair advantage.
Won't the French have the same problem? I know they have better depth, but the AIs showed their National side don't have free reign.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Quite so - if the outbreak was as a result of one or more individual breaching bubble protocol then why should that side expect to have the opprtunity to delay the match rather than concede and why should clubs release players outside the window.
nasher

Post by nasher »

Eddie picks players in form after he has picked his favourites form or not.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Not sure what an international coach has got to do to put some credit in the bank. Between 2004 and 2015 England won one 6N (no Grand Slam). Under Jones England have won 3 6Nations including one Grand Slam and a WC Final (defeat). For Saturday (and as he has done since he took over) Wayne Pivac picks a team with one player 35, another 34, and five more between the ages of 30-32, yet somehow he is a genius who is ‘building for the future’. Average age of the Welsh team 29.4 months.

Jones walks the tightrope between the here and now and the future, during a pandemic, missing a world class centre (Tuilagi), backrow player (Underhill) – with five core (Saracens) players not having played much. Hard stuff for a coach. Yet the team that will play on Saturday has an average age of 27.6 years, so there is plenty of room for growth. 12 on which played in a World Cup Final, so they are not mutton. Pick a Lions squad tomorrow and Gatland would have most of that team on the plane.

Curry debuts for England age 19. A lucky call by Jones. Martin? Ridiculous decision.

I’m sure Jones wouldn’t claim to get every decision right. But the evidence would seem to be that he is good at what he does compared to other international coaches. These are challenging times - but as an England supporter I will support the coach that has already bought us more success in the last five years than we enjoyed in the twelve prior to his arrival. If we lose one or two games along the way, well that's sport.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Delighted for George and Good luck to all our boys
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Not sure what an international coach has got to do to put some credit in the bank. Between 2004 and 2015 England won one 6N (no Grand Slam). Under Jones England have won 3 6Nations including one Grand Slam and a WC Final (defeat). For Saturday (and as he has done since he took over) Wayne Pivac picks a team with one player 35, another 34, and five more between the ages of 30-32, yet somehow he is a genius who is ‘building for the future’. Average age of the Welsh team 29.4 months.

Jones walks the tightrope between the here and now and the future, during a pandemic, missing a world class centre (Tuilagi), backrow player (Underhill) – with five core (Saracens) players not having played much. Hard stuff for a coach. Yet the team that will play on Saturday has an average age of 27.6 years, so there is plenty of room for growth. 12 on which played in a World Cup Final, so they are not mutton. Pick a Lions squad tomorrow and Gatland would have most of that team on the plane.

Curry debuts for England age 19. A lucky call by Jones. Martin? Ridiculous decision.

I’m sure Jones wouldn’t claim to get every decision right. But the evidence would seem to be that he is good at what he does compared to other international coaches. These are challenging times - but as an England supporter I will support the coach that has already bought us more success in the last five years than we enjoyed in the twelve prior to his arrival. If we lose one or two games along the way, well that's sport.

I agree. I am old enough to remember how it seemed we could never win in Cardiff, EJ's experience is far greater than mine and all the "experts" on the board. His selections have been excellent over the period of his tenure. Give the man the respect and support he deserves.
A life long Tiger
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

England's first priority is to keep 15 men on the field......
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

OMG. Dreamt a score of 29-3.
Not sure whether England or Tigers got a kicking.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Whilst I too am uninspired by the selections, i do have a feeling that this group will put on a good performance Saturday. They are being very honest with themselves about the levels of performance so far and they are an experienced bunch on the whole. hope some frustrations come out in a good way. i think if we start fast we will be fine.

I have a genuinely good feeling about this.

Note - if we get stuffed, i am going into a very deep hiding
Less is more....
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Smudge wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:36 am

I agree. I am old enough to remember how it seemed we could never win in Cardiff, EJ's experience is far greater than mine and all the "experts" on the board. His selections have been excellent over the period of his tenure. Give the man the respect and support he deserves.
Great post. You have to factor in also that this is England. If they win then it’s either they’re boring or they should win as England have more registered players than any other country. Yawn. And if they lose....

And then there’s the EJ factor. He’s an ascerbic Australian who sometimes says things that make you wince and doesn’t pick players we want him to. That’s great when we beat the All Blacks. But when we lose....
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

KiwiTig wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:17 pm Delighted for George and Good luck to all our boys
Yes I agree happy for him, but should he really be in before Simmons?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too