6 NATIONS 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 6 NATIONS 2021

Post by Dokie »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:46 am England didn't lose because of Farrell. They lost because the whole team was poor. The pack was out played from the start. EJ clearly picked the wrong team, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. There weren't many on here saying Itoje shouldn't be starting before the game. And you can't plan for things like May giving away 50 m by dropping the ball.

Scotland need to learn to convert more of their chances into points if they are going to win consistently when it matters though. My money is on France this year, unless Ireland have sorted out their issues over the winter...
Finally, a measured assessment.
Many of you are just using this to vent your dislike of Sarries. No one played worse yesterday than Ellis but that seems to have escaped people. As an outsider, Farrell may not be your 10 going forward but then you have to play him at 12. If you’re looking for a 10 for the next World Cup, I’m afraid it’s not George, it should be Marcus Smith. He probably won’t get a look in though because he’ll play what’s in front of him, similar to Cipriani.
Similarly, Biggar doesn’t fit Pivac’s style of play. Like Marcus, Jarrod Evans would light up the Welsh back line and stress defences. Here’s hoping!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I am surprised Pivac is picking Biggar, just doesn't fit naturally what they are trying to do, if Patchell could keep fit for more than 10 seconds he would be a shoe in, not seen much of Evans but he does seem more "Pivac", longer term the answer for Wales is possibly a recent arrival in West Wales.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Dokie wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:29 am
Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:46 am England didn't lose because of Farrell. They lost because the whole team was poor. The pack was out played from the start. EJ clearly picked the wrong team, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. There weren't many on here saying Itoje shouldn't be starting before the game. And you can't plan for things like May giving away 50 m by dropping the ball.

Scotland need to learn to convert more of their chances into points if they are going to win consistently when it matters though. My money is on France this year, unless Ireland have sorted out their issues over the winter...
Many of you are just using this to vent your dislike of Sarries. No one played worse yesterday than Ellis but that seems to have escaped people. As an outsider, Farrell may not be your 10 going forward but then you have to play him at 12. If you’re looking for a 10 for the next World Cup, I’m afraid it’s not George, it should be Marcus Smith. He probably won’t get a look in though because he’ll play what’s in front of him, similar to Cipriani.
Similarly, Biggar doesn’t fit Pivac’s style of play. Like Marcus, Jarrod Evans would light up the Welsh back line and stress defences. Here’s hoping!
Sorry, what did Genge do wrong? I remember he got wrongly pinged from one penalty, and missed at least one tackle, but was there something I missed.

Now would be a good time to expose Smith at ten for England. Sink or swim. My guess is he will sink. The game he plays relies on big holes which rarely exist at international level.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

teds wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:08 am

Sorry, what did Genge do wrong? I remember he got wrongly pinged from one penalty, and missed at least one tackle, but was there something I missed.

Now would be a good time to expose Smith at ten for England. Sink or swim. My guess is he will sink. The game he plays relies on big holes which rarely exist at international level.
You’ve kindly backed up my point. Blindly defend our players regardless and put down players from other clubs who might challenge our lads for places.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Crazy talk that Genge was our worse player yesterday!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just off the top of my head,Farrell was worse,Daly was,May was, Billy V was,Hill was,probably more.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:31 am Just off the top of my head,Farrell was worse,Daly was,May was, Billy V was,Hill was,probably more.
We decided not to watch it, Tigers was enough distraction, but I told Mrs G Scotland by 10 having seen what to me was a moribund selection. I'm beginning to feel EJ has run out of ideas.......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:37 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:31 am Just off the top of my head,Farrell was worse,Daly was,May was, Billy V was,Hill was,probably more.
We decided not to watch it, Tigers was enough distraction, but I told Mrs G Scotland by 10 having seen what to me was a moribund selection. I'm beginning to feel EJ has run out of ideas.......
You didn’t miss much,Farrell was awful! Daly wasn’t much better and the pack was second best. All the Sarries were off the pace and May had a shocker!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:39 am
jgriffin wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:37 am
You didn’t miss much,Farrell was awful! Daly wasn’t much better and the pack was second best. All the Sarries were off the pace and May had a shocker!
Sweep out needed, but i bet he dumps Ford before Fazlet. Time to give the form players a go.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Dokie wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:25 am

You’ve kindly backed up my point. Blindly defend our players regardless and put down players from other clubs who might challenge our lads for places.
I’ll ask again for clarification on what you felt Genge did badly. Perhaps you’ll respond this time.
For what it’s worth I am not sure any of England’s players distinguished themselves with the possible exception of Cowan-Dickie, so I was curious why you singled out Genge. Maybe I missed something.

On Smith. I agreed with you so why the sarcasm? Let me spell it out. There are a number of players who are putting their hands up. Robson, Randall, Simmons as well as Smith. If we don’t give them a chance to show what they can do we will never know.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

teds wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:58 am

I’ll ask again for clarification on what you felt Genge did badly. Perhaps you’ll respond this time.
For what it’s worth I am not sure any of England’s players distinguished themselves with the possible exception of Cowan-Dickie, so I was curious why you singled out Genge. Maybe I missed something.

On Smith. I agreed with you so why the sarcasm? Let me spell it out. There are a number of players who are putting their hands up. Robson, Randall, Simmons as well as Smith. If we don’t give them a chance to show what they can do we will never know.
The point I was making was people are quick to criticise those who they dislike but will blindly defend our players regardless. Ellis was one of 7 forwards who were awful - under pressure in the scrum against Fagerson, who is hardly world class, and anonymous in the loose. I don’t ever recall him playing that badly.
I actually thought you were being sarcastic about Smith. The substance of your remarks were let’s expose him to show he’ll fail because his game isn’t up to international level.
You missed Ben Spencer off your putting your hand up list.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Genge played badly?

Got pinged once but once the ref came round the penalties ended.

What is the role of the loose head prop? Playmaker? Chaser of box kicks? Make up for the inept performance of the loose forwards, fly half, wing and full back?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

There isn't a lot of credit being given to Scotland on here, they outplayed England.
England have a way of playing and it's won many matches but yesterday Scotland were too good.
England are still very competitive but Scotland have been threatening to get a result against them for a couple of years if they could reduce England's percentages.
England couldn't respond on the day.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Dokie wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:32 pm
teds wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:58 am

The point I was making was people are quick to criticise those who they dislike but will blindly defend our players regardless. Ellis was one of 7 forwards who were awful - under pressure in the scrum against Fagerson, who is hardly world class, and anonymous in the loose. I don’t ever recall him playing that badly.
I actually thought you were being sarcastic about Smith. The substance of your remarks were let’s expose him to show he’ll fail because his game isn’t up to international level.
You missed Ben Spencer off your putting your hand up list.
So I think we agree none of the pack stood out, but I am still not still sure why you singled Genge out, and accused other posters of being blind to his failings. It’s difficult to great a proper feel for what every player does in a single viewing, so it’s quite possible I may have missed something, so it was a genuine question.

On the competition for the other two Tigers players in the squad, my view is between world cups we should
give the form players from across the premiership a chance, and a proper chance. I don’t agree with the chances that Robson has had because bringing someone on for the last five minutes isn’t a real chance.

I like watching Smith, if he can do that at international level I would be surprised but very impressed. I’d rather see Smith tried even if he fails than not tried at all, but not because I want to see him fail. Ben Spencer? I might have agreed on him last season but he has looked out of sorts this season. That said, scrum halves can only look as good as the pack in front of them allows, and Bath are having a poor season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Shouldn’t laugh but these social distanced anthems are ludicrous!