Heyes and Martin picked for the shadow squad
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 NATIONS 2021

Post by Tiglon »

England Squad:

https://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id ... ix-nations

Well done to Heyes and Martin for getting into the shadow squad! Probably more for the experience of being in the group and to be assessed rather than any indication they have a chance of playing, but great news for them nonetheless.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:48 pm England Squad:

Well done to Heyes and Martin for getting into the shadow squad! Probably more for the experience of being in the group and to be assessed rather than any indication they have a chance of playing, but great news for them nonetheless.
So is the shadow squad bubbled with the 28 and training with them? Are they unavailable for the full tournament?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:57 pm

So is the shadow squad bubbled with the 28 and training with them? Are they unavailable for the full tournament?
That's a very good question!

I have read they will need to follow the same testing protocols as the main squad. Eddie said that he is grateful for the Premiership for allowing him to have the 28 players, which implies that he does not "have" the shadow squad players. So perhaps increased testing so that they can join the bubble if needed, but not part of it until then? Which would make my statement about experience and assessment complete nonsense....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:02 pm

I have read they will need to follow the same testing protocols as the main squad. Eddie said that he is grateful for the Premiership for allowing him to have the 28 players, which implies that he does not "have" the shadow squad players. So perhaps increased testing so that they can join the bubble if needed, but not part of it until then? Which would make my statement about experience and assessment complete nonsense....
See I know how Eddie is meant to love 15v15 training so I thought it would be players who train with the squad, but were ineligible to be in the squad barring injury, but his quote doesn't suggest that. Got to say I'm confused about it, even extra testing wouldn't mean they could just enter a biosecure bubble.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:09 pm

See I know how Eddie is meant to love 15v15 training so I thought it would be players who train with the squad, but were ineligible to be in the squad barring injury, but his quote doesn't suggest that. Got to say I'm confused about it, even extra testing wouldn't mean they could just enter a biosecure bubble.
I think the only reason for having just 28 in the squad is that this was what the Premiership agreed to in negotiations. Other nations have named larger squads (Scotland I think have named 36 players in theirs) so if more than the 28 were in the bubble, I would think they would just be named as part of the squad.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:13 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:09 pm

I think the only reason for having just 28 in the squad is that this was what the Premiership agreed to in negotiations. Other nations have named larger squads (Scotland I think have named 36 players in theirs) so if more than the 28 were in the bubble, I would think they would just be named as part of the squad.
Ok so that's an even bigger compliment to Martin, with only 1 other 2nd row and 1 other back row in the shadow squad he's got to be there as he's considered a genuine chance of covering.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:56 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:54 am This is the season where EJ needs to blood some new youngsters. Covid has disrupted things but the WC cycle hasn't changed.
It ought to be, but with only 5 extra players in the squad outside a match day 23, there's not a lot of room for experimentation. For example, where previously EJ might have selected Ollie Thorley and Paolo Odogwu in the squad, he's probably only got room for one of them this season. That's assuming that Odogwu is seen as a wing. If seen as a centre, then replace Ollie Thorley with Ollie Lawrence in the selectorial dilemma. I have put these names forward to illustrate the sort of choices that EJ and Co. may have, not to open up discussion on their relative merits. They may well not pick any of them
Yeah, I understand the reasoning. I just think that with the WC draw having been made already, the world rankings are irrelevant this season so EJ could afford a couple of losses and have a few more unknowns in the squad.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BBC have confirmed that the shadow squad can train and play for their club as normal, but will have increased testing so they can join the England squad if needed.

Also mentions that Sinckler will be ready to join the squad after his suspension, and he is not in the shadow squad, so I'm not sure being in the shadow squad actually means they are next in line to be called up.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:50 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:59 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:52 am

That's a good point but see cricketers
Nonetheless, we won't know until the squad is released. I'm surprised it wasn't announced at lunchtime, perhaps suggesting that last minute alterations were needed?
Possibly the fact Bath players are no longer self isolating?
Yes could well have been.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:07 am BBC have confirmed that the shadow squad can train and play for their club as normal, but will have increased testing so they can join the England squad if needed.

Also mentions that Sinckler will be ready to join the squad after his suspension, and he is not in the shadow squad, so I'm not sure being in the shadow squad actually means they are next in line to be called up.
I thought Jones couldn’t change his 28 man squad for the tournament barring injury?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55766166

Bristol prop Kyle Sinckler, who is banned for the opener against Scotland, is not included in either squad. However, Sinckler will be available for selection once he has served his suspension.

That's what the BBC are reporting.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:42 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55766166

Bristol prop Kyle Sinckler, who is banned for the opener against Scotland, is not included in either squad. However, Sinckler will be available for selection once he has served his suspension.

Available for selection possibly doesn't mean he's in the squad. I'm available for selection by England but not in the squad. I suspect he's essentially (after next weekend's game) going to join the shadow squad, so after serving one week of his ban it won't matter if his suspension is served for club or country. They're making it clear his first week of suspension is this week. Then we'll see if they drop someone from the squad to make room for him.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:24 am
Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:42 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55766166

Available for selection possibly doesn't mean he's in the squad. I'm available for selection by England but not in the squad. I suspect he's essentially (after next weekend's game) going to join the shadow squad, so after serving one week of his ban it won't matter if his suspension is served for club or country. They're making it clear his first week of suspension is this week. Then we'll see if they drop someone from the squad to make room for him.
I didn't say he is in the squad. He very clearly isn't in the squad. :smt017
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/artic ... ions-squad

"Joe Launchbury and Joe Marler have withdrawn from England's Guinness Six Nations squad. Launchbury is out through injury, with a fibia stress fracture, and Marler has withdrawn for personal reasons. Charlie Ewels and Tom West will join the tournament squad, marking West’s first England senior call-up.

Eddie Jones’ squad will meet at St. George’s Park on Wednesday 27 January where they will begin preparations for the Guinness Six Nations
."

Possibly means that Obano will get his first test cap against Scotland, Tom West has played well for Wasps of late and merits this call up in my opinion.