Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 NATIONS 2021

Post by kk20gb30 »

Proudfoot and Jones self isolating :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55733788
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:23 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:02 pm Cameron Redpath called up to the Scotland squad, as Gary Graham also makes a welcome return to the international fold.
Guess we’ll see if he gets a cap, surprised he didn’t wait for England as he’s been in some EPS and I’m sure Jones will have been in contact with him.

Glad Odogwu might get a shot. Always like how NZ pick their wingers purely on form regardless of test experience. If he’s tearing it up in the premiership, give him a shot. Then it’s down to him to keep putting in the performances and being selected.
Redpath will be capped I think, he'll get way more caps playing for Scotland than for England. Odogwu for me is an interesting one, as glad I as I am that he has been in really good form of late, I'm yet to be convinced that he is good enough in the air to be a test winger but I could see him being a test centre.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:14 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:02 pm Cameron Redpath called up to the Scotland squad, as Gary Graham also makes a welcome return to the international fold.
Guess we’ll see if he gets a cap, surprised he didn’t wait for England as he’s been in some EPS and I’m sure Jones will have been in contact with him.

Glad Odogwu might get a shot. Always like how NZ pick their wingers purely on form regardless of test experience. If he’s tearing it up in the premiership, give him a shot. Then it’s down to him to keep putting in the performances and being selected.
Possibly he has been told that he isn't in the running for an England spot at the moment. Doesn't really look like an Eddie Jones kind of player to me, not keen on tackling for a start. Probably a wise choice, he could be a regular for Scotland in future but I haven't seen anything to suggest he will become good enough to do the same for England.
Does that indicate you think England are better than Scotland? 😉
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Being touted as uncapped selections for England's Six Nations Squad, Paulo Odogwu (Wasps) and Harry Randall (Bristol) certainly deserve their potential inclusions on current form.If selected I hope they are used in a manner that actually helps confirm their international pedigree.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

This is the season where EJ needs to blood some new youngsters. Covid has disrupted things but the WC cycle hasn't changed.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

8 weeks in a bubble is a long time for the likes of Ellis Genge, Joe Marler, Ben Youngs, Joe Launchbury to be away from their young family, I wonder if that will affect the selection in any way? Nothing wrong in my view with refusing to join because of the new rules.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:17 am 8 weeks in a bubble is a long time for the likes of Ellis Genge, Joe Marler, Ben Youngs, Joe Launchbury to be away from their young family, I wonder if that will affect the selection in any way? Nothing wrong in my view with refusing to join because of the new rules.
That's a good point but see cricketers
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:52 am
JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:17 am 8 weeks in a bubble is a long time for the likes of Ellis Genge, Joe Marler, Ben Youngs, Joe Launchbury to be away from their young family, I wonder if that will affect the selection in any way? Nothing wrong in my view with refusing to join because of the new rules.
A lot of them have said how difficult it is though...the flip side if that is imagine being stuck in a bubble with Marler, Genge & Sinckler for 8 weeks...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:58 am
A lot of them have said how difficult it is though...the flip side if that is imagine being stuck in a bubble with Marler, Genge & Sinckler for 8 weeks...
Yeah that's true,imagine if Haskell was still in the squad 😜
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Dokie wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:26 pm

Possibly he has been told that he isn't in the running for an England spot at the moment. Doesn't really look like an Eddie Jones kind of player to me, not keen on tackling for a start. Probably a wise choice, he could be a regular for Scotland in future but I haven't seen anything to suggest he will become good enough to do the same for England.
I'll try to be diplomatic... it means England have far more professional rugby players than Scotland, so Redpath has a statistically lower probability of playing regular rugby for England than he does for Scotland.

However, there is a big opportunity at 13 for England at the moment. Manu is surely out of the equation now, Lawrence has done ok but not cemented his place, Joseph seems to be a winger for England now and is not getting any younger, you don't want Slade there if you have Farrell at 12... step forward Paolo Odogwu for a chance to claim the England first choice 13 spot - who would have predicted that even 2 months ago?! Well done to him, I hope he takes it if he does get his chance.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:58 am

Yeah that's true,imagine if Haskell was still in the squad 😜
On good lord, I think there would be a sizable queue behind Owen Farrell looking to just straight up murder him by the middle of week 3...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:54 am This is the season where EJ needs to blood some new youngsters. Covid has disrupted things but the WC cycle hasn't changed.
It ought to be, but with only 5 extra players in the squad outside a match day 23, there's not a lot of room for experimentation. For example, where previously EJ might have selected Ollie Thorley and Paolo Odogwu in the squad, he's probably only got room for one of them this season. That's assuming that Odogwu is seen as a wing. If seen as a centre, then replace Ollie Thorley with Ollie Lawrence in the selectorial dilemma. I have put these names forward to illustrate the sort of choices that EJ and Co. may have, not to open up discussion on their relative merits. They may well not pick any of them
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Nonetheless, we won't know until the squad is released. I'm surprised it wasn't announced at lunchtime, perhaps suggesting that last minute alterations were needed?
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:43 am
Dokie wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:26 pm

I'll try to be diplomatic... it means England have far more professional rugby players than Scotland, so Redpath has a statistically lower probability of playing regular rugby for England than he does for Scotland.

However, there is a big opportunity at 13 for England at the moment. Manu is surely out of the equation now, Lawrence has done ok but not cemented his place, Joseph seems to be a winger for England now and is not getting any younger, you don't want Slade there if you have Farrell at 12... step forward Paolo Odogwu for a chance to claim the England first choice 13 spot - who would have predicted that even 2 months ago?! Well done to him, I hope he takes it if he does get his chance.
Have you ever thought of becoming a politician?
On second thoughts, you’ve answered the question!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:59 pm
Nonetheless, we won't know until the squad is released. I'm surprised it wasn't announced at lunchtime, perhaps suggesting that last minute alterations were needed?
Possibly the fact Bath players are no longer self isolating?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.