Tigers v Bayonne - European games suspended

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Bayonne

Post by loretta »

In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Just when we were doing well, too. Ho hum. It may still go ahead but I doubt it.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It can continue without French clubs
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Don't know if this is old hat or not. I'm often behind the times, but it all looks off as far as the French are concerned with cross border sport being banned. 6N in trouble too.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... x-nations/
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:23 pm Don't know if this is old hat or. I'm often behind the times but it looks off as far as the French are concerned with cross border sport being banned. 6N in trouble too.

6N doesn't have to be in trouble, just replace France with Georgia, that way we'll also be able to see the relative merits of Italy and Georgia too...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Crofty wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:30 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:23 pm Don't know if this is old hat or. I'm often behind the times but it looks off as far as the French are concerned with cross border sport being banned. 6N in trouble too.

6N doesn't have to be in trouble, just replace France with Georgia, that way we'll also be able to see the relative merits of Italy and Georgia too...
Good shout 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

The "trouble" was proposed by the article, rather than yours truly.

On the upside would a two week hiatus actually benefit the premiership? We'd effectively be taking a firebreak?

I'll get me coat.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Looks like European games are off. Hope they fill the gap with premiership games otherwise that would be 1 game for tigers in 5 weeks when supposed to have 5.
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:36 pm
Crofty wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:30 pm

Good shout 👍
...I would suggest in this instance France is making the right call!!!
We seem to take moving from Country to Country as a normal thing to do, even in the face of a pandemic.
The absolute lack of scrutiny when someone arrives back into the country compared to the stringent test they have to go through abroad makes this Government a laughing stock.
It doesn't matter how many times we are put in Lockdown it is undermined by people waltzing in to the Country unchecked and unsupervised.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If France are out, let's have Fiji in please :smt023
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

New club anti-covid protocols may help re-assure the French and domestic audiences.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I'd be surprised if the six nations was cancelled. International Rugby can be treated differently with fully biosecure bubbles etc if necessary, which club sports just can't do over a season.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Still nothing definitive on this. Watching Rugby Tonight, it would seem the clubs, French league and government keep batting this around. Testing has been altered to suit their demands, but there still seems to be a problem for the clubs. It seems to me they can't afford to just make the decision on their own, or EPRC can hit them with a heavy fine. So, they're looking for a higher authority to make the decision for them and take the responsibility away. The government have only issued advice, and passed it back. The clubs then have asked for clarification. If the higher ups say it’s not safe to travel across borders and clubs can't play, that then also applies to the 6 nations, and it looks like they're unwilling to do that.

So, buck passing stalemate, it's going to come down the clubs to just decide what they're willing to do. If they do turn up, I really doubt it'll be a first team!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

We need a decision today.

If Frances decision is negative I would support bringing Premiership fixtures forward by two week to free up a couple of weeks for Europe later in the season but such a change will have to happen quickly with agreement from all the clubs involved, a big ask.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Surprised that it hasnt been officially pulled already.

Would make sense to pull some rounds forward as Pat Lamb suggested at the weekend or simply carry on the tournament without the French clubs.