Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021 - cancelled due to COVID

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021 - cancelled due to COVID

Post by Noggs »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:32 pm I am yet to see the logic or sense of trying to play any elite sport in the current climate & that's before we get to the panto of the league table.
Someone no doubt will say Elite Sport being played provides a distraction, but if a lot of it isn't being played due to Covid it's a moot point.
BT aren't giving me a rebate for lack of product..
You should by rights be playing extra for them showing all the Premiership games over the lockdown periods
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:40 pm
I am sure all those in hospitality & the retail sector would like to be working.
ourla wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:42 pm
ads wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:31 pm If everyone else is working why can't sports people?
To be fair many people aren't working. Really comes down to a combination of necessity and risk.
You are both correct, and I was being a bit flippant. My apologies. I've been working through the whole thing and am now on the second stint of home schooling with 2 kids. Its a pain in the :censored:, but at least I'm still in employment and on full pay.

Sport is a very good distraction for lots of people and adds a bit of normality to peoples lives. If it can be done safely and the players and clubs are happy for it t continue, then I see no problem with it. If measures need tightening because the current measures are not doing enough, then so be it. But again, only if the players are happy to continue with any revised covid measures/rules.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

What are people's feelings on the new rules? Personally, I know it's not to everyone's tastes but I like dance-type celebrations but I don't like rubbing people's hair or backs piling in to celebrate. However, not having celebrations or non-playing squad members in the stands will make a game already suffering from atmosphere even worse, furthermore I'm not sure how much of an effect these new rules will actually have to be honest.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:55 am What are people's feelings on the new rules? Personally, I know it's not to everyone's tastes but I like dance-type celebrations but I don't like rubbing people's hair or backs piling in to celebrate. However, not having celebrations or non-playing squad members in the stands will make a game already suffering from atmosphere even worse, furthermore I'm not sure how much of an effect these new rules will actually have to be honest.
On the former I don't see how this helps given the players are in close physical contact throughout the game. On the latter I think it makes sense to minimise the number of peripheral people in the environment.

Anecdotally it seems people often don't understand how they contracted Covid given their very limited activity outside their home so difficult to cover every base but clearly at the moment it's become even more rife so you have to try to do more.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ourla wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:52 am
JP14 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:55 am What are people's feelings on the new rules? Personally, I know it's not to everyone's tastes but I like dance-type celebrations but I don't like rubbing people's hair or backs piling in to celebrate. However, not having celebrations or non-playing squad members in the stands will make a game already suffering from atmosphere even worse, furthermore I'm not sure how much of an effect these new rules will actually have to be honest.
On the former I don't see how this helps given the players are in close physical contact throughout the game. On the latter I think it makes sense to minimise the number of peripheral people in the environment.

Anecdotally it seems people often don't understand how they contracted Covid given their very limited activity outside their home so difficult to cover every base but clearly at the moment it's become even more rife so you have to try to do more.
A lot of the positive pcr tests are false positives due to the sensitivity of the high CT they are being run at. I’m astonished this question hasn’t been asked (or allowed to have been asked) at any of the press conferences. We as the public deserve complete transparency.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

They catch it from other people. That could be family, team members, opposition or someone near them in a supermarket.

They are not living in such isolated bubbles as the England cricketers in the summer so, given how much Covid is out there it is almost unavoidable for someone from most sides to test positive at some point during the season. Rapid tests are no doubt being followed up by proper RNA based tests but they could be likened to a fire alarm. Do you evacuate the building when the alarm goes off or wait until you see flames? The former may be unfortunate, the latter is too late.

Not playing at all? That's an option for amateur sport, but for professional sport it is different. Players need to work, all the rest of the wider team depend on the income from the TV money. It's not a job where they can work from home. So it is a case of work in the safest way possible or go bust.

Why is sport being treated differently to the hospitality industry? A fair question but I guess it is possible for the fans to watch from home. You can't be at the pub at home and watch the bar on TV.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

mol2 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:04 pm Why is sport being treated differently to the hospitality industry? A fair question but I guess it is possible for the fans to watch from home. You can't be at the pub at home and watch the bar on TV.
You could argue that sport is not being treated differently than hospitality. You are able to have a take-away meal and eat at home - you just can't eat in the pub/cafe/restaurant. Likewise, you can watch sport at home, you just can't sit in the stands. Everyone is still allowed to "work" from their place of work, but you aren't allowed to interact with Jo Public - except very briefly. Nor can you allow Jo Public to gather in any size group.

On that basis - sport is being treated like hospitality - at least in principle.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:37 pm Just being "devils advocate", but by Saints deciding to announce they could play as they have 23 available, is this a calculated announcement to try to avoid a 2-4 points against them and hope that the ruling does not go against them and the ruling committee give them say 3-3 points? What is the point situation if the committee overseeing the postponement does agree with the club?
Ah, but in my playing days if a team turned up short of players then we would make up their numbers from our reserve squad that just wanted a game but were sadly not picked.
So why could Tigers not lend Saints eg. Hardwick and let Olowofela team up with his brother on the Saints other wing??? Is this not just team spirit and giving our players game time to indicate why they are not being selected for Tigers? :smt002 :smt017
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

My Saints pal says he’s happy and will take the two points.
JayC2
Tiger Cub

Post by JayC2 »

Coz its two more than they would have got :smt016 :smt016
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

4 points for Tigers, 2 for Saints has been confirmed. Up to 6th now
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:35 pm 4 points for Tigers, 2 for Saints has been confirmed. Up to 6th now
Hopefully that means we'll be playing next weekend vs Bayonne as I hoped they may allow a reschedule if cancelled for this game.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Also confirmed that the game was cancelled on the advice of Public Health England, due to the number of cases detected.
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

Can we not play them every week?