Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021

Post by Tiglon »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:17 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:11 pm I mean being very tin hat and negative, but if a team low on confidence loses say it's 3 best players due to covid wouldn't 2 points be better than potentially another lose at home? (Last season not going to lie I would've taken 2 points at times).

I mean most likely the case is Saints have a smaller squad and it's more likely to have a bigger impact but it highlights all the potential issues if relegation really does happen this season.
I guess that's why the panel sits to decide on the allocation of points. Always has been a 4/2 split so far but I guess they will look at whether Saints could have fielded a match day 23 or not so time will tell
If Saints have been advised not to play, I can't imagine the Premiership will rule that Saints should have ignored safety advice and played anyway. That's surely the easiest way to persuade the government to instruct professional rugby to cease.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:03 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:56 am From reading Boyd's statement, it sounds like it is now a case of cancelling a match if one club gets a few positive results, rather than if they are unable to field a team. Will likely lead to an even higher proportion of cancelled matches.
Having said that...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55559922

Exeter have positive tests, but are confident they can still play.

Saints have positive tests, have a 23 available, but are advised to cancel anyway.

Doesn't really seem consistent! Could Saints have chosen to play but instead followed the cautious advice? Have Exeter been given the same advice but chosen to ignore it? Or have Saints simply had a much higher number of positive cases?
Its not just the amount of positive tests, its the identified close contacts that have to isolate for 5 or 10 days also - Saints will have a lot more players affected through both measures than just those testing positive..........
Less is more....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Bunchy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:23 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:03 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:56 am From reading Boyd's statement, it sounds like it is now a case of cancelling a match if one club gets a few positive results, rather than if they are unable to field a team. Will likely lead to an even higher proportion of cancelled matches.
Having said that...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55559922

Exeter have positive tests, but are confident they can still play.

Saints have positive tests, have a 23 available, but are advised to cancel anyway.

Doesn't really seem consistent! Could Saints have chosen to play but instead followed the cautious advice? Have Exeter been given the same advice but chosen to ignore it? Or have Saints simply had a much higher number of positive cases?
Its not just the amount of positive tests, its the identified close contacts that have to isolate for 5 or 10 days also - Saints will have a lot more players affected through both measures than just those testing positive..........
If you read the reports, Boyd says that they could have fielded a team, even without all those who had to self isolate.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Whats the betting they change the points allocation so we don't get 4
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

chewbacca wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:25 pm Whats the betting they change the points allocation so we don't get 4
Why would they do that?

I'm not sure I even care how many points we get given, does it really matter?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021 - cancelled due to COVID

Post by GB72 »

Is it clear anywhere who advised Saints not to play when they could have produced a 23 and on what grounds the advice was given. Interested to see if there is a precedent here as to whether teams should play a match or not in certain circumstances.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Going to be sometime until we will have a completed unaffected weekend at this rate, seems to be that more games are being cancelled because of contact tracing than actual positive tests, so maybe clubs should start to look at altering training methods to limit social contact until the results of the next round of tests so that they don’t have to isolate so many people in the event of 5/6 players testing positive.

However I admit this is probably a case of easier said than done.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:31 pm Is it clear anywhere who advised Saints not to play when they could have produced a 23 and on what grounds the advice was given. Interested to see if there is a precedent here as to whether teams should play a match or not in certain circumstances.
It may have been decided following a review of the contact tracing and significant numbers, not necessarily players, having to isolate.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:29 pm
chewbacca wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:25 pm Whats the betting they change the points allocation so we don't get 4
Why would they do that?

Not sure it would be fair to chop and change midway through the season
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:50 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:29 pm
Why would they do that?

Not sure it would be fair to chop and change midway through the season
The rules are 4 and 2. The panel are there to certify that covid was the reason and confirm which team was responsible.

Tigers could get 5 points if it is deemed that Saints could have played but chose not to (unlikely if they were following advice).

Tigers could get 2 points (I think) if it is found that they were not able to fulfil the fixture either (I'm sure we would have heard already if this might be the case).
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I for one would now like the authorities to ring fence the premiership. Its getting farcical. Its as others have stated a lottery.
If teams are able to play under Covid , then at least we will see a game, it-keeps the players fresh and able to access and build for the future. Then the table is only a guide and should be treated as such.
If they are serious about player welfare then they should act now. :smt024

Wish every one well and keep safe.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

wellstiger wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:00 pm I for one would now like the authorities to ring fence the premiership. Its getting farcical. Its as others have stated a lottery.
If teams are able to play under Covid , then at least we will see a game, it-keeps the players fresh and able to access and build for the future. Then the table is only a guide and should be treated as such.

I would argue that there shouldn't be a champion either, if a lot more matches are cancelled over the next few months.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:24 pm
wellstiger wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:00 pm I for one would now like the authorities to ring fence the premiership. Its getting farcical. Its as others have stated a lottery.

I would argue that there shouldn't be a champion either, if a lot more matches are cancelled over the next few months.
I concur. The league is so distorted at the moment and not likely to change in that respect any time soon. It would seem sensible that this season be declared void.
I'm not cynical just experienced
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suppose the play offs will give a semblance of a champion.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

mol2 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:24 pm I suppose the play offs will give a semblance of a champion.
I concur. And hopefully by then the top 4 will be able to play teams unaffected by Covid.