Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021 - cancelled due to COVID

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021

Post by trendylfj »

It means that we have at least 2 free weekends and possibly 3 weeks of no game - isn't this where someone has to decide do we give the players a week off before resuming training at the end of next week or just carry on and hope not to aggravate any minor niggles
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I trust Aled more than anyone in the league to know what to do with 3 weeks off.

So we are 5th currently with 15 points
6th Wasps on 14 to play Bath away
7th Quins on 12 to play Irish
9th Bath on 11 to play Wasps

If Gloucester v Falcons away lose we will be 8/9 points ahead of bottom
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:43 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:55 pm Would suggest Matt Smith will be explaining to some of the newer signings what Saints games mean to Tigers.
Or he's a professional like everyone else involved and he knows that a win against Saints is no more important than a win against Quins. Of course, they'll always say it matters more, because that's what you want to hear...

Honestly, even I don't think a derby means more than any other game. This isn't 1964, I don't live in the same place I was born, I don't have banter with a village full of Saints fans just over the border, I don't even know any Saints fans.

It's been mentioned that Mauger's final game was a win against Saints. If that's true, then the derby means nothing more to the club itself either because he was sacked anyway!
From the players I know, this means more to them than any other league game. They are acutely aware of the importance to the communities they feel they represent and the build up to derby week is often the most intense of the season. Please dont believe it's just another game for the squad.....
Less is more....
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

oh well, its off now....

Hope the saints who have tested positive recover well and quickly
Less is more....
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Confirmed its now cancelled (on the beeb)
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

From reading Boyd's statement, it sounds like it is now a case of cancelling a match if one club gets a few positive results, rather than if they are unable to field a team. Will likely lead to an even higher proportion of cancelled matches.

The league table is almost certainly meaningless already, and I can't see anyone could be justifiably relegated.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

No, I can't see relegation happening and under the circumstances its the right thing to do. I think any club relegated that isn't under a sugar daddy will just go bust
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Whilst the 4 point result is welcome and perhaps the best we could have realistically expected I have been counting the hours to sitting down to watch the game on Saturday. I was expecting a close game with a narrow win for Tigers but more importantly I was looking forward to seeing more progress on our journey back to being a strong contender for silverware.

In the scheme of things the cancellation of a rugby match matters little but the disappointment never-the-less remains.

Wishing all a speedy and full recovery and here's to our next meeting on the field of play :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:56 am From reading Boyd's statement, it sounds like it is now a case of cancelling a match if one club gets a few positive results, rather than if they are unable to field a team. Will likely lead to an even higher proportion of cancelled matches.
Having said that...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55559922

Exeter have positive tests, but are confident they can still play.

Saints have positive tests, have a 23 available, but are advised to cancel anyway.

Doesn't really seem consistent! Could Saints have chosen to play but instead followed the cautious advice? Have Exeter been given the same advice but chosen to ignore it? Or have Saints simply had a much higher number of positive cases?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Noggs wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:00 pm Whilst the 4 point result is welcome and perhaps the best we could have realistically expected I have been counting the hours to sitting down to watch the game on Saturday. I was expecting a close game with a narrow win for Tigers but more importantly I was looking forward to seeing more progress on our journey back to being a strong contender for silverware.

In the scheme of things the cancellation of a rugby match matters little but the disappointment never-the-less remains.

Wishing all a speedy and full recovery and here's to our next meeting on the field of play :smt023
Just just typing out exactly the same thing. Was really looking forward to seeing the lads in action and continuing the momentum from last weeks match and the European back to back wins. Table is largely irrelevant as I completely agree with the comments above that, if ever there was a case for ring fencing, this is it. With the media suggesting 1 in 50 people has COVID I can only see more and more cancellations before things get better. Crazy times but health has to come first.

Wishing the Saints lads a speedy recovery and hope everyone stays safe :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:03 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:56 am From reading Boyd's statement, it sounds like it is now a case of cancelling a match if one club gets a few positive results, rather than if they are unable to field a team. Will likely lead to an even higher proportion of cancelled matches.
Having said that...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55559922

Exeter have positive tests, but are confident they can still play.

Saints have positive tests, have a 23 available, but are advised to cancel anyway.

Doesn't really seem consistent! Could Saints have chosen to play but instead followed the cautious advice? Have Exeter been given the same advice but chosen to ignore it? Or have Saints simply had a much higher number of positive cases?
Or were Saints scared off by our performance against Bath :smt002

I say it in jest and wish them all a speedy recovery :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Such a shame.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean being very tin hat and negative, but if a team low on confidence loses say it's 3 best players due to covid wouldn't 2 points be better than potentially another lose at home? (Last season not going to lie I would've taken 2 points at times).

I mean most likely the case is Saints have a smaller squad and it's more likely to have a bigger impact but it highlights all the potential issues if relegation really does happen this season.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:11 pm I mean being very tin hat and negative, but if a team low on confidence loses say it's 3 best players due to covid wouldn't 2 points be better than potentially another lose at home? (Last season not going to lie I would've taken 2 points at times).

I mean most likely the case is Saints have a smaller squad and it's more likely to have a bigger impact but it highlights all the potential issues if relegation really does happen this season.
I guess that's why the panel sits to decide on the allocation of points. Always has been a 4/2 split so far but I guess they will look at whether Saints could have fielded a match day 23 or not so time will tell
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

ourla wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:43 am Watching elite sport has for me been a bit of a saviour during Covid.

I could survive without of course, if it was deemed the long term risk of health to the participants was too great.

Tough times, tough decisions for everybody.

I echo this totally ourla. There is no joy in getting awarded an away win because the other team are acting responsibly and isolating players who might possibly be infectious.