Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021 - cancelled due to COVID

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021

Post by Tiglon »

Coops wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:13 pm Difficult game to call to be honest with 2 teams in a very similar position:

Both won 2 and lost 3
Points for: 96 Tigers, 98 Saints
Points against: 103 Tigers, 109 Saints
Bonus points: 1 Tigers, 3 Saints

Tigers come off the back of a good win vs Bath and therefore some momentum
Saints come off a cancellation
The win/lost comparison is a bit misleading. If you only count games that actually happened then it is:
Saints - won 1 lost 3
Tigers - won 2 lost 2

Saints have won once this season, out of 6 matches in all competitions. Tigers have won 4 out of 6. Tigers definitely the form team based solely on results, but Saints have come very close in a few of those defeats.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Both won 2 and lost 3
One of our loses was a game that wasn't played and one of their wins was a game that wasn't played.

So we've won 2 lost 2 and they won 1 lost 3.

Edit: beaten to it...
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:55 pm Personally he's the eight we wanted before Waldrom.
Waldrom was a great carrier but Wiese seems to bring everything to the park, not just carries but his tackling and his ruck clearances.
Was just thinking exactly the same :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:55 pm Personally he's the eight we wanted before Waldrom.
Waldrom was a great carrier but Wiese seems to bring everything to the park, not just carries but his tackling and his ruck clearances.
Fair enough.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We have played some good stuff in the games we won, lacked conviction against Exeter, yet lost to Irish who we should have beaten had we played anything like we had done in the other matches.

Let's hope for a good week at Oval park and a a near full squad to pick from.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I cant remember the last time we won at the gardens, we have got to step up from our more recent trips there?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:46 pm I cant remember the last time we won at the gardens, we have got to step up from our more recent trips there?
Oct 2018 was the last time we won there.. result was 23-15 to us. Also won there early 2017. Although ask me again on Sat and hopefully the answer will be Jan 2021 :smt002

We beat them at WR in Sep 2020 but they won the previous 4 matches home and away (albeit 2 were in the Prem Cup).
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:27 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:46 pm I cant remember the last time we won at the gardens, we have got to step up from our more recent trips there?
Oct 2018 was the last time we won there.. result was 23-15 to us. Also won there early 2017. Although ask me again on Sat and hopefully the answer will be Jan 2021 :smt002

We beat them at WR in Sep 2020 but they won the previous 4 matches home and away (albeit 2 were in the Prem Cup).
Thanks OT, i only remembered our wins at home and they were sparse of late.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

TalkSport apparently saying "Government says elite sports including Premier League football WILL continue despite new lockdown rules." Nick Mullins also saying that's his understanding.

Hopefully that means the game's still on.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Professional sport in Scotland will not be affected by new coronavirus restrictions for now.

Updated Scottish government guidance says those "involved in professional sports, for training, coaching or competing in an event" will be allowed to leave their homes.

If that’s the case we will likely follow suit
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

its confirmed by Sky news Elite Sport continues, classified as work and can happen behind closed doors

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status ... 60805?s=20
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Much as with London Irish we have had some disappointing results away from home against 'Saints in recent seasons.For me at any rate its expectations low ,but hopes high.
A 'Tom Youngs' match....(fire,heart and character prerequisites)
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:30 am Much as with London Irish we have had some disappointing results away from home against 'Saints in recent seasons.For me at any rate its expectations low ,but hopes high.
A 'Tom Youngs' match....(fire,heart and character prerequisites)
Not been too bad to be honest if you look at it. Saints have won 2 of the last 3 home matches against Tigers and 3 out of last 6. They have a slight edge on recent results as they've won the last 2 but it's certainly a winnable game.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I feel that, this year in particular, comparisons with previous seasons are meaningless. This squad and set up feels quite different to last years and a world away from ones before that. We can only judge as we see the evolution continue, and for me the next 2 games are within our grasp. Brive in France will be harder than WR, but only when we get a string of wins together will we really see what we have and I’ll admit to being optimistic.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

loretta wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:17 am I feel that, this year in particular, comparisons with previous seasons are meaningless. This squad and set up feels quite different to last years and a world away from ones before that. We can only judge as we see the evolution continue, and for me the next 2 games are within our grasp. Brive in France will be harder than WR, but only when we get a string of wins together will we really see what we have and I’ll admit to being optimistic.
Saints always turn up against Tigers regardless of the stats so I'd be inclined to agree. It will be a tough game and if we can perform like we did against Bath then it will be a cracking match.

As for Brive I am less concerned; yes they are the home team but they have matches either side of the Tigers fixture against Montpellier and Toulon. They will be targeting these matches as they are currently sat in 9th and I imagine the Top 14 will be their priority as they are effectively out of the running in Europe now having lost both opening matches.

Our next 4 matches in the Premiership (Saints A, Sale H, Worcester H, Quins A) and the 2 European matches are all very winnable for me. We could be in great shape if we can string a few wins together.