Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021

Post by sam16111986 »

loretta wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:56 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:30 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:47 pm Pretty sure de Bruin was available for this game, he was training at least this week.
Depends when he recommenced training I suppose and if he had Covid whether there was any hangover.

I would like to see us really take it to Saints. Settle both rivalry games and good points.

Moroni in for Taute seems like a logical move all round. He looked really good in his one appearance so far. I'd also have Lavanini in for Green as an additional carrying option. There's obviously a temptation to reward a lot of the guys who dug in today but if Taufua and Reffell are back available it would be hard not to select them. Wallace didn't shine off the bench and Henderson both scored and cost us a try.
Sorry, but I don't buy that. He did something rash, we conceded a penalty. After that, came a defensive stint under pressure in which the team conceded a try. Yes, his actions put us there, but it was far from inevitable that we came out a try down.
He doubled up his error. Didn't switch on for the kick off and fumbled into touch. That's excusable but then running off and stopping the quick throw that was never on and conceding a needless penalty to put his team under pressure was a blot on an otherwise excellent cameo. Got to keep his head better.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:46 pm
loretta wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:56 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:30 pm

Depends when he recommenced training I suppose and if he had Covid whether there was any hangover.

I would like to see us really take it to Saints. Settle both rivalry games and good points.

Moroni in for Taute seems like a logical move all round. He looked really good in his one appearance so far. I'd also have Lavanini in for Green as an additional carrying option. There's obviously a temptation to reward a lot of the guys who dug in today but if Taufua and Reffell are back available it would be hard not to select them. Wallace didn't shine off the bench and Henderson both scored and cost us a try.
Sorry, but I don't buy that. He did something rash, we conceded a penalty. After that, came a defensive stint under pressure in which the team conceded a try. Yes, his actions put us there, but it was far from inevitable that we came out a try down.
He doubled up his error. Didn't switch on for the kick off and fumbled into touch. That's excusable but then running off and stopping the quick throw that was never on and conceding a needless penalty to put his team under pressure was a blot on an otherwise excellent cameo. Got to keep his head better.
Agree on all points. But, he's young and I expect him to learn from it.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Might want to kick less next week, especially if Biggar is playing, he will just drop back & he wont make as many errors as Watson did, we actually look better when trying to play some rugby, did we do a backs move off 1st phase?
Unconvinced by Scott, solid but little else, maybe Porter or Kelly longterm at 12, but shorter term a Taute/Moroni partnership looks best for me.
A proper 7 will improve the team, Hanro at 6 is a must, 2nd row its Tomas & one other of 4 now, all pretty equal.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Why was Lavanini missing this week? Was it Covid related or because of the smash on the nose he got last time out? If he's available then I imagine he will slot straight back in along with a few others. Some tough calls and lots of uncertainty surrounding availability but I would go for:

1.Genge
2.Youngs
3.Cole
4.Lavanini
5.Wells
6.Liebenberg
7.Reffell
8.Wiese
9.Youngs
10.Ford
11.Nadolo
12.Scott
13.Moroni
14.van Wyk
15.Steward

16.Clare
17.Leatigaga
18.De Bruin
19.Martin
20.Taufua
21.JvP (Wigglesworth would be another option but reckon JvP deserves it after today)
22.Henry
23.Murimurivalu

For me 1-4, 6, 8-11,13 & 15 are pretty nailed on starters if available. We have options at 5 and excellent options at 7. 12 again we have decent cover with Scott or Porter potentially coming in and 14 I'd be happy to see Van Wyk continue after a cracking performance today but Potter is in fine form too.

Would like to see De Bruin given a run out as I think he will add massive impact off the bench along with Taufua. I would go for a 5/3 split on the bench as I think it worked well today and Murimurivalu looked sharp when he came on. Would be happy to see Porter at 12 alongside Moroni but I reckon Scott will get the nod. Martin played very well today but away to Saints I would opt for the experienced option of Wells starting with Martin adding a dynamic option off the bench. Brink could be in with a shout if JT or Reffell aren't fully recovered but I reckon we might go for something along these lines.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Famous last words (fuelled by post match euphoria ..... and red wine) but I think we have too much for the Sinners next week - would like to see Tomas in the 2nd row , would like Reffel to start and Moroni for Taute (all COVID cleared) - bench same as. Job done :smt041
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:07 pm Famous last words (fuelled by post match euphoria ..... and red wine) but I think we have too much for the Sinners next week - would like to see Tomas in the 2nd row , would like Reffel to start and Moroni for Taute (all COVID cleared) - bench same as. Job done :smt041
No Taufua?
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:14 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:07 pm Famous last words (fuelled by post match euphoria ..... and red wine) but I think we have too much for the Sinners next week - would like to see Tomas in the 2nd row , would like Reffel to start and Moroni for Taute (all COVID cleared) - bench same as. Job done :smt041
No Taufua?
Fair point but I would start with Reffell- Henderson did well off the bench and would do the job vs Sinners but Taufau would be a great addition of course
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Taufua starts all day long for me. He’s better starting than coming off the bench where he can a bit reckless despite his enthusiasm.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:24 pm Taufua starts all day long for me. He’s better starting than coming off the bench where he can a bit reckless despite his enthusiasm.
Same here. He’s a Tasmanian devil,a whirlwind of fury. Puts a million % into everything he does, him and Weise in a BR is scary. Do you go with a 7 and play Liebenberg in the second row or start him at 6 with JT at 7 is the call for me.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Taufau has struggled with the new interpretation - Reffell is a ball truffler- I would take Reffell to start and Reffell to bring his energy after 50 mins ... but respect your opinion :smt051
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

There is no correct opinion other than Wiese starts at 8 - what a player
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:35 pm There is no correct opinion other than Wiese starts at 8 - what a player
That’s a FACT 😉
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:35 pm There is no correct opinion other than Wiese starts at 8 - what a player
& Hanro on the pitch.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Agreed
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:38 pm
& Hanro on the pitch.
100% Hanro has been unbelievably good for us too.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.