Use it

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Use it

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Only saw a little of Teddies v Falcons but the amount of the 10min sin bin of Attwood that was wasted was annoying, the game really needs to look at stopping the clock at scrum time.
Deanos face when the camera cut to him after the 8 had bungled control of the ball at an advancing scrum was very funny, it is a lost skill in many ways, Mr Crane is the opposing coaching team was good at it as well.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:34 pm Only saw a little of Teddies v Falcons but the amount of the 10min sin bin of Attwood that was wasted was annoying, the game really needs to look at stopping the clock at scrum time.
Deanos face when the camera cut to him after the 8 had bungled control of the ball at an advancing scrum was very funny, it is a lost skill in many ways, Mr Crane is the opposing coaching team was good at it as well.
One of the key areas where I thought Crane edged Waldrom. Crane always seemed to have magnetically attached to his foot allowing our props to really go for it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:59 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:34 pm Only saw a little of Teddies v Falcons but the amount of the 10min sin bin of Attwood that was wasted was annoying, the game really needs to look at stopping the clock at scrum time.
One of the key areas where I thought Crane edged Waldrom. Crane always seemed to have magnetically attached to his foot allowing our props to really go for it.
I was always amazed how good Pearces control was,going both ways,considering his league background
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I agree I think it is a dying art.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Isn't one of the ways you can "use it" to start moving forward again? I'm sure I've seen it reffed that way in mauls.

Seems an odd call for me, when the rest of the weekend refs have been calling "use it" at a maul then allowing the 9 to take 10-20 seconds to set up a caterpillar and have a coffee before using it, with no sanction.

I actually thought officiating overall was very good today and yesterday, other than the Sale game.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If the ref has called “use it” a secondary shove should not occur. The scum is effectively over.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Should be the same for players joining the ruck after "use it" has been called. Stop extra bodies coming in and joing the :censored: caterpillar...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ads wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:41 pm Should be the same for players joining the ruck after "use it" has been called. Stop extra bodies coming in and joing the :censored: caterpillar...
Yes, please. Would then need to also properly enforce the offside line for the players attempting to charge down or scrag the 9...
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

mol2 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:13 pm If the ref has called “use it” a secondary shove should not occur. The scum is effectively over.
That depends on the interpretation of the term, use it, IMHO the scrum marching forward is a valid use of a rugby ball, so once the scrum and ball started towards the try line the refs instruction had ben complied with!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BengalTiger wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:35 pm
mol2 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:13 pm If the ref has called “use it” a secondary shove should not occur. The scum is effectively over.
That depends on the interpretation of the term, use it, IMHO the scrum marching forward is a valid use of a rugby ball, so once the scrum and ball started towards the try line the refs instruction had ben complied with!
Mol2 is actually correct, I was wrong. The laws state that after 3-5 seconds of stationary scrum the referee calls use it - "the team must then play the ball out of the scrum immediately."