Round 5 other fixtures

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Round 5 other fixtures

Post by Tiglon »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:10 pm Sale might not have a monopoly on the citings.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrBooth7/sta ... 9438310400
That looks like it was worth a straight red too. Awful. Was it Slater?

TMO's need to be pushed to prioritise watching for this sort of thing. I'd say it's becoming a joke, but it's far too dangerous to be funny.

Surely the players need to be educated on this too. We are quick to blame the officials, but players need to start taking responsibility for each other's safety.

There seems to be an increase in these no arm torpedoes into rucks recently - is it because refs are so quick to reward a jackal that the team in possession are having to resort to desperate measures to retain the ball?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:20 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:10 pm Sale might not have a monopoly on the citings.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrBooth7/sta ... 9438310400
That looks like it was worth a straight red too. Awful. Was it Slater?

TMO's need to be pushed to prioritise watching for this sort of thing. I'd say it's becoming a joke, but it's far too dangerous to be funny.

Surely the players need to be educated on this too. We are quick to blame the officials, but players need to start taking responsibility for each other's safety.

There seems to be an increase in these no arm torpedoes into rucks recently - is it because refs are so quick to reward a jackal that the team in possession are having to resort to desperate measures to retain the ball?
This is exactly what the TMO's should be picking up. There is absolutely no excuse to miss any of these incidents. Safety has to come first and as they are trying to minimise/eliminate contact with the head then why isn't the TMO stepping in? I have heard plenty of TMO's saying to the referee "you need to go back and hack a look at an incident" so why not these? Until they do then players will continue to clear out dangerously from rucks like this
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Regarding the Du Preez/Harris incident - from my recollection TMO looked at it whilst play continued/break in play and told Dickson it was fine. Go figure :smt017
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

SthrnTiger wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:50 am
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:39 am
loretta wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:30 pm Also interested in whether the citing officer needs to take a look at a head butt...
I’ve seen the clips, there’s no head butt that I can see. It’s one of those that if you look enough times, you may be able to convince yourself that there was one.
Commentator mentions he thinks he saw a headbutt by Yarde, hard to tell but watching highlights it looks to me like Yarde got picked up by his own teammates in the melee (?)
I’m sure Goodey will stir it up and try and get some podcast listeners by claiming it was a head butt.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:43 pm Regarding the Du Preez/Harris incident - from my recollection TMO looked at it whilst play continued/break in play and told Dickson it was fine. Go figure :smt017
Correct and what’s Dickson supposed to do ? He’s asked and been told it’s fine.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:58 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:43 pm Regarding the Du Preez/Harris incident - from my recollection TMO looked at it whilst play continued/break in play and told Dickson it was fine. Go figure :smt017
Correct and what’s Dickson supposed to do ? He’s asked and been told it’s fine.
Exactly, Dickson's done his job there. I heard him ask if there were arms, someone told him yes, either assistant ref on the other side or TMO.

The problem is why the TMO thought there were arms, and didn't notice that contact was to the head.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Exactly my point ref TMO - not a criticism of the ref - criticism of TMO - thanks for misinterpreting my comment :smt024
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:01 pm Exactly my point ref TMO - not a criticism of the ref - criticism of TMO - thanks for misinterpreting my comment :smt024
No no, that’s reinforcing your point.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:21 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:01 pm Exactly my point ref TMO - not a criticism of the ref - criticism of TMO - thanks for misinterpreting my comment :smt024
No no, that’s reinforcing your point.
But I didn’t criticise Dickson on this one and your comment implied that I was ... hey ho.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

https://www.skysports.com/share/12181717

Slater gets 4 week ban and Du Preez gets three weeks.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:50 pm https://www.skysports.com/share/12181717

It is confusing to say this is a four week ban on Slater as the panel decided that he would be banned from the following Gloucester games. ~ Newcastle, Ulster, Lyon and Northampton but given the present uncertainty over Covid cancelled games the Panel stated that if no such game takes place then the sanction may have to be revisited, in other words it is a four match ban and possibly for however many weeks. The same applies to Du Preez in three games not weeks.
https://www.englandrugby.com/dxdam/4b/4 ... final).pdf
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

It is a strange world, we have an offence that actually causes harm (player taken off for HIA) and an offence that does not, which gets 3 weeks and which gets 4?

The TMO should be banned for life if that is the best he can do!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BengalTiger wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:24 pm It is a strange world, we have an offence that actually causes harm (player taken off for HIA) and an offence that does not, which gets 3 weeks and which gets 4?

The TMO should be banned for life if that is the best he can do!
I think the only difference is that one was spotted by the HIA spotter, and the other wasn't. I wouldn't be so sure that one caused harm and one didn't.

Agree the TMO was poor to miss both of these, as was the Sale HIA spotter for missing the Slater incident. Lots of work to do!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

wormus wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:11 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:50 pm https://www.skysports.com/share/12181717

It is confusing to say this is a four week ban on Slater as the panel decided that he would be banned from the following Gloucester games. ~ Newcastle, Ulster, Lyon and Northampton but given the present uncertainty over Covid cancelled games the Panel stated that if no such game takes place then the sanction may have to be revisited, in other words it is a four match ban and possibly for however many weeks. The same applies to Du Preez in three games not weeks.
https://www.englandrugby.com/dxdam/4b/4 ... final).pdf
Well as I expected the four match ban on Ed Slater will be extended by two more matches as the 16/1 Ulster and 24/1 Lyon games are cancelled. Likewise the 3 match ban on Daniel Du Preez will be extended as the 16/11 Edinburgh and 22/1 Toulon games are cancelled. Let us get rid of Covid asap!!