Exeter overhyped?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Exeter overhyped?

Post by jgriffin »

Not a jock wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:31 pm I'm sure we've been round the issue of revenue from gate receipts etc before. Last time, someone said that Exeter have the highest ticket prices in the league. Also, approximately one third of revenue is from gate receipts, the remainder being RFU hand-outs, TV, commercial activities etc. A friend of mine works for one of the Chief's sponsors and he tells me that hospitality is a big deal at Sandy Park. So, largest crowd does not necessarily equate to ability to spend up to the cap.
Many people don't get how much money is washing around Sandy Park. There are a lot of seriously rich people now locating in Exeter, ticket prices are mega and Rowe has always used SWComms to assist Chiefs. They are emphatically NOT a poor club.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Rob Baxter is made an OBE while captain Joe Simmonds recieves an MBE in New Years Honours list:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/55475887
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:44 am Rob Baxter is made an OBE while captain Joe Simmonds recieves an MBE in New Years Honours list:

Honours list for doing their jobs very well. :smt017
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:30 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:44 am Rob Baxter is made an OBE while captain Joe Simmonds recieves an MBE in New Years Honours list:

Honours list for doing their jobs very well. :smt017
Head up Tiglon, it might never happen.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Seems like even her Majesty is now piling the pressure on Eddie to pick Simmonds! :smt003
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Baxter deserves it, but just, exactly why does Simmonds get one? Compared to what Matt Hampson has done this doesn't even exist on the same planet!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

fentiger wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:33 am

Baxter deserves it, but just, exactly why does Simmonds get one? Compared to what Matt Hampson has done this doesn't even exist on the same planet!
+1.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Were any of Sarries almost double double squad honoured? 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:07 pm
fentiger wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:33 am

+1.
+2
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:11 pm
Not a jock wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:31 pm I'm sure we've been round the issue of revenue from gate receipts etc before. Last time, someone said that Exeter have the highest ticket prices in the league. Also, approximately one third of revenue is from gate receipts, the remainder being RFU hand-outs, TV, commercial activities etc. A friend of mine works for one of the Chief's sponsors and he tells me that hospitality is a big deal at Sandy Park. So, largest crowd does not necessarily equate to ability to spend up to the cap.
Many people don't get how much money is washing around Sandy Park. There are a lot of seriously rich people now locating in Exeter, ticket prices are mega and Rowe has always used SWComms to assist Chiefs. They are emphatically NOT a poor club.
How does some wealthy people living in Exeter make Chiefs a wealthy club?

I bet you all the money in Exeter that there is greater wealth within the areas around Harlequins, Saracens, Irish, Gloucester, Bristol and Bath.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I have no issue with Baxter receiving awards for what he has achieved over a long period of time, but for a club player such as Simmonds I find hard to justify.

I have no problem with non-internationals sportsmen and women getting MBEs and the like but it doesn't sit well when it is given at the start, rather than the end of a career for someone who is just doing their job.

Yes win an Olympic Gold or a world championship and maybe you get something before you retire but it needs to be at that sort of level.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:16 pm
jgriffin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:11 pm
How does some wealthy people living in Exeter make Chiefs a wealthy club?

I bet you all the money in Exeter that there is greater wealth within the areas around Harlequins, Saracens, Irish, Gloucester, Bristol and Bath.
Because a lot of London/SE area people nominally relocated to Exe in the boom that followed the relocation of the Met Office. And Exeter has both a huge fanbase and a lot of wealthy main stand STHs alongside the investors cultivated by Rowe over the years. RELATIVE to the London and Briz clubs you mention, the £ potential may not be greater but I would suggest the fan and investment base is bigger than all those except Bath, if not pre-revelation Sarries levels.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

It might not go down well I know, but listening to Rob Baxter during the match, at the end of match press conference, and in the press after a heavy loss and for me he just gets the tone absolutely right. Class act.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Traveller wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:28 am It might not go down well I know, but listening to Rob Baxter during the match, at the end of match press conference, and in the press after a heavy loss and for me he just gets the tone absolutely right. Class act.
Agreed
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:44 am
Traveller wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:28 am It might not go down well I know, but listening to Rob Baxter during the match, at the end of match press conference, and in the press after a heavy loss and for me he just gets the tone absolutely right. Class act.
Agreed
Agreed. You can see why he's such an effective leader.