Explain this to me

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AnneM

Explain this to me

Post by AnneM »

How come three British teams played European games in France before Christmas - Tigers, London Irish and Munster, and all of them came home and then had positive Covid tests??? Did they take the disease with them, or did they pick it up in France??
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Explain this to me

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

AnneM wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:27 am How come three British teams played European games in France before Christmas - Tigers, London Irish and Munster, and all of them came home and then had positive Covid tests??? Did they take the disease with them, or did they pick it up in France??
It could be coincidence, think however it's more to do with contact tracing. Aeroplanes for example use recirculated air so if one person on the plane tests positive it may be that contact tracing requires all on the plane to isolate. Whereas if they play at home or drive separately to an away game then possibly only a few have to isolate rather than a full squad.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The air s not recirculated.
The air in the cabin isn’t sealed in. Fresh air is continuously introduced during the flight. A plane’s jets are already sucking in and compressing huge volumes of air to burn with the aviation fuel. Some of this is diverted for the passengers to breathe. Because the compression heats up the air, it must first be ducted around the wings to be cooled down. The air already in the cabin is passed through high-efficiency particulate (HEPA) filters to remove bacteria and viruses and then mixed 50:50 with the fresh air from outside. The excess cabin air is vented through valves to the rear of the plane to keep the cabin pressure constant.

This system means that the air in the plane’s cabin is completely replaced around 15 times an hour, but this is mainly about controlling the temperature and removing contaminants. The oxygen that all the passengers breathe is less than one per cent of the fresh oxygen entering the cabin.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

AnneM wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:27 am How come three British teams played European games in France before Christmas - Tigers, London Irish and Munster, and all of them came home and then had positive Covid tests??? Did they take the disease with them, or did they pick it up in France??
Not sure Muster fans would be happy about being called a British team....
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Given that games have been cancelled after matches against French sides, the Premiership game against Worcester must be one that could be at risk!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

There have been a couple of outbreaks in Prem football league clubs recently (Newcastle and Man City) neither of which have played outside the country in the weeks immediately before the outbreaks... so I'm not sure the connection is that straightforward.
YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

Post by YoWaGoWan »

I'ts a twister Annem :smt023
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

ads wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:56 pm
Is the Island of Ireland not in the British Isles?

It’s not part of the UK or Great Britain - nor is Northern Ireland but that’s national boundaries rather than geography.

So it depends on whether the term was being used in its geographical context😉
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I'm not sure but I don't think Tigers are back training yet, unless the coach I know is isolating solely.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:47 pm The air s not recirculated.
The air in the cabin isn’t sealed in. Fresh air is continuously introduced during the flight. A plane’s jets are already sucking in and compressing huge volumes of air to burn with the aviation fuel. Some of this is diverted for the passengers to breathe. Because the compression heats up the air, it must first be ducted around the wings to be cooled down. The air already in the cabin is passed through high-efficiency particulate (HEPA) filters to remove bacteria and viruses and then mixed 50:50 with the fresh air from outside. The excess cabin air is vented through valves to the rear of the plane to keep the cabin pressure constant.

This system means that the air in the plane’s cabin is completely replaced around 15 times an hour, but this is mainly about controlling the temperature and removing contaminants. The oxygen that all the passengers breathe is less than one per cent of the fresh oxygen entering the cabin.
Very informative, thank you Tigerbeat. Useful for future reference when flying resumes and people need re-assurance.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

mol2 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:47 pm

It’s not part of the UK or Great Britain - nor is Northern Ireland but that’s national boundaries rather than geography.

Geographically correct, and I do like winding them up, but I doubt that would wash with the Irish folk I know......
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

ads wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:32 pm
mol2 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:47 pm

Geographically correct, and I do like winding them up, but I doubt that would wash with the Irish folk I know......
To be accurate and possibly pedantic, Northern Ireland is part of the UK - it's in the full name. I find it better for winding up the Welsh.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game