3rd January 2021 v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: 3rd January 2021 v Bath

Post by LE18 »

I was terrified after 20 minutes thinking that we were back to Tigers of 2018 era and we were going to get murdered. I was not happy with our early kicking tactic but I think we can now put that down to rust and layoff due to Covid.
The team seemed to get it together and changed it round slowly working our way back until that terrific 2nd half when they showed so much grit and determination totally reversing my initial reservations, well done Tigers.
I cannot leave it without praising the young ones, Steward, Henderson, Wiese, JVP, ( I have always though JVP much better than White, what a partnership we might have had if the Oakham pair of JVP and Costello had stayed!!!, I loved watching them at school.) Steward is showing international class and I don't think it will be too long before JVP is our No1 SH.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:05 pm It’s almost as if someone has come in, identified that grit, determination, guts, energy and most importantly...win at all costs is the way forward. It also breeds confidence and a good vibe around the group. At 14-0 it didn’t look good but we stuck in there. I don’t mind the kicking, style of play isn’t needed at the moment. Another test at the allotment coming up but you can guarantee we will be up for it.
And I am getting trolled as a traitor on Faceplant(book) for suggesting we have made progress as a club since GM left :smt015
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:55 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:52 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:45 pm
Isn’t it 9? Cole,OTY,Green,Wells,Martin,YBY,Steward,Heyes,JVP
Clare?
Good shout! So that’s 10?
Just quoting what Nick Mullins said. I think they were generally referring to the ‘youngsters’, but I hadn’t bothered to work it out for myself.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Note the raft of post match interviews, it's good to have Bondi back!!
To win is not as important as playing with style!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:41 pm Note the raft of post match interviews, it's good to have Bondi back!!
Yeah. Samm W back in da house. All is well with the world........ except I have to go back to work tomorrow (not that I’m not grateful in the current climate).
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Out of interest, anyone recognise the guy in front of Luke Wallace?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJmXS0xhoM9 ... dw4f7ttzpe
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Weisse was a well deserved MOM. The best 8 we’ve seen at this club for years .. not dissimilar to Simmonds at Exeter
steward was a close run thing and gets better every match .. in 2 years he is going to be stunning. Big, strong, powerful, skilful, great under the high ball .. a bit like a young Gavin Hastings!

Gengy was on fire, Henderson looked fine when he came on but Wells had another good game and Green is solid. I want to see more of Martin as he gets back to full fitness.. I remember seeing him as a 9 year old and thinking he was special.

I have to say that the game game changed pace when JVP came on! I cannot quite see what EJ sees in YBY but I think Tigers look better with faster ball and that is not something he delivers anymore ( apologies if that upsets anyone)!

Gloucester was a a good game but this was against better opposition and there can be no doubt we are much improved since last year.

Better players, better tactics, fitter, better drilled, more competitive, more desire, better team ethos, more desire to win. I don’t think we’ll beat the best, we may even lose to some poor sides , but we will get better and we already look better and if we keep improving at this rate and can keep the coaching staff and the young players, in 3 of 4 years we are going to be back fighting for top honours!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:41 pm Note the raft of post match interviews, it's good to have Bondi back!!
I thought I spotted him at the front of the coaches box but wasn't sure due to the face mask etc.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:21 pm Weisse was a well deserved MOM. The best 8 we’ve seen at this club for years .. not dissimilar to Simmonds at Exeter
steward was a close run thing and gets better every match .. in 2 years he is going to be stunning. Big, strong, powerful, skilful, great under the high ball .. a bit like a young Gavin Hastings!

Gengy was on fire, Henderson looked fine when he came on but Wells had another good game and Green is solid. I want to see more of Martin as he gets back to full fitness.. I remember seeing him as a 9 year old and thinking he was special.

I have to say that the game game changed pace when JVP came on! I cannot quite see what EJ sees in YBY but I think Tigers look better with faster ball and that is not something he delivers anymore ( apologies if that upsets anyone)!

Gloucester was a a good game but this was against better opposition and there can be no doubt we are much improved since last year.

Better players, better tactics, fitter, better drilled, more competitive, more desire, better team ethos, more desire to win. I don’t think we’ll beat the best, we may even lose to some poor sides , but we will get better and we already look better and if we keep improving at this rate and can keep the coaching staff and the young players, in 3 of 4 years we are going to be back fighting for top honours!
A note of caution with the YBY criticism. This sounds similar to the case for Danny Care v YBY. It’s all very well coming on in the last 20 as a nippy scrum half facing a tiring opposition (and despite fitness levels sides will naturally be more tired at the end of a game than the beginning and in some cases like this with a side chasing the game) . His real test will be when he gets a go as a starting scrum half. But I too like what I have seen so far. So far....
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:18 am
mightymouse wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:21 pm Weisse was a well deserved MOM. The best 8 we’ve seen at this club for years .. not dissimilar to Simmonds at Exeter

A note of caution with the YBY criticism. This sounds similar to the case for Danny Care v YBY. It’s all very well coming on in the last 20 as a nippy scrum half facing a tiring opposition (and despite fitness levels sides will naturally be more tired at the end of a game than the beginning and in some cases like this with a side chasing the game) . His real test will be when he gets a go as a starting scrum half. But I too like what I have seen so far. So far....
Agreed. JvP is already a fine player and will only get better, especially under the council of YBY and Wiggo. I think he has huge potential and is definitely one I’d like to see staying at the club
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Great result - Leicester grew into the match , kept their heads and executed their gameplan well in the end.We showed heart,character and the self belief that has been lacking to supplement the undoubted talent that there has always been at Welford Road even in the last two seasons of struggle.Winning is a great habit and breeds collective confidence , assurance and morale.Small but undoubted steps and a long way to go , but we are seemingly on our way.
No better 'Get Well Soon' present to Steve Borthwick than yesterdays result - although he will see things to work on and correct (fortunately).
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:18 am

+1 Fast ball off the bench when they are tired is a very attractive option to have.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

It must have crossed some minds that it would have been an easy choice to not field under COVID., get 2 points and end up 8th with Barff keeping top 4 with 4 points.
Am I glad we fielded a team and took on the enemy. I was concerned 20-25 mins into the game. Glad when half time came to get the Valium .Second half was one of the gutsiest performances I've seen in a few seasons.
Some semblance of attack creeping into our game. Differing running lines and not over using Nadolo.
Great to see the academy fitting in as a natural fit. All's good at present.
The team from the wrong end of Welford Road will be concerned, we need a back to back wing for confidence sake and for all the hard effort that has been created in a Tigers shirt. :smt026
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:47 pm Out of interest, anyone recognise the guy in front of Luke Wallace?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJmXS0xhoM9 ... dw4f7ttzpe
Chessum isn’t it?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Whilst JVP played well, I'm not so sure that White has suddenly dropped to 4th choice given that he played well against Bayonne in the Challenge Cup fixture, it is nice to have healthy competition at scrumhalf though.

As for Wigglesworth, I suspect he might return to a more off-field role until YBY is off with England again for the Six Nations.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni