Challenge Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Challenge Cup

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Based on how the games have so far gone.
Bayonne on 2 points after 2, Brive on 1 point after 2.

That means both of last two fixtures are against clubs who are now highly unlikely to be able to get out of the group stages.

Meaning I think there's a fair to reasonable chance of those two games being against development sides.

I genuinely think, especially given that away to Brive may be after they mathematically have been knocked out of the tournament, that we can get a 100% record in the group stages
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Challenge Cup

Post by Hot_Charlie »

And, by the time the Challenge Cup resumes, we may already have a ring fenced Prem. Depending on how the next three games go, the CC could then easily become the priority.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:38 pm And, by the time the Challenge Cup resumes, we may already have a ring fenced Prem. Depending on how the next three games go, the CC could then easily become the priority.
Looks like ringfencing will be delayed if the Championship doesn’t recommence until March
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Which game is first,Brive away or Bayonne at home?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:59 pm Which game is first,Brive away or Bayonne at home?
Bayonne at home then Brive away
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:02 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:59 pm Which game is first,Brive away or Bayonne at home?
Bayonne at home then Brive away
Thanks 👍
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Even with ringfencing we should still prioritise the more important competition - which is the Premiership.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It's important to remember, I think, that the higher seeded teams who fail to make the play-offs in the Championship Cup drop into the Challenge Cup
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:42 pm It's important to remember, I think, that the higher seeded teams who fail to make the play-offs in the Championship Cup drop into the Challenge Cup
Oh like the Champions league/Europa in football? I did not know that thanks 👍
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:00 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:42 pm It's important to remember, I think, that the higher seeded teams who fail to make the play-offs in the Championship Cup drop into the Challenge Cup
Oh like the Champions league/Europa in football? I did not know that thanks 👍
Top 8 teams from this pool, plus the 8 teams 5th to 8th in each of the two pools in the Champions Cup get to the last 16.

Seeding for the knockouts though has the top 4 in the challenge cup seeded 1-4 then the 8 champions cup teams finally the teams that finished 5th to 8th in the challenge cup group.

Basically if a team in the challenge cup group finishes 4th they are 4th seed for the knockouts. If they finish 5th they are 13th seed. So there is massive incentive to get to those top 4 spots in the group if we are going to value the competition.
Last edited by TigerFeetSteve on Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Top four teams in Challenge Cup will get home advantage
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks all! Yes let’s get that home tie. So if I’m right and we finish top or second,we will get a home draw against one of the Challenge cup teams providing we haven't already played them?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Given the results (Covid affected!) we could end up playing Exeter
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:26 pm Given the results (Covid affected!) we could end up playing Exeter
Be just our luck!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

KNOCKOUT STAGE – Round of 16
2.10 The ranking of the clubs which qualify for the Round of 16 will be as follows:
(i) the top four Challenge Cup clubs will be ranked 1 to 4
(ii) the eight Heineken Champions Cup clubs will be ranked 5 to 12 based on the usual criteria of match points, aggregate points difference, tries scored etc
(iii) the four remaining Challenge Cup clubs will be ranked 13 to 16

2.11 The four highest-ranked Challenge Cup qualifiers and the four highest-ranked Heineken Champions Cup qualifiers will have home advantage in the Round of 16 as follows:

CC 1 (ranked 1) v HCC 8 (ranked 12)
CC 2 (ranked 2) v HCC 7 (ranked 11)
CC 3 (ranked 3) v HCC 6 (ranked 10)
CC 4 (ranked 4) v HCC 5 (ranked 9)

HCC 4 (ranked 8) v CC 5 (ranked 13)
HCC 3 (ranked 7) v CC 6 (ranked 14)
HCC 2 (ranked 6) v CC 7 (ranked 15)
HCC 1 (ranked 5) v CC 8 (ranked 16)
www.matthampson.co.uk